Ignition timing troubles.

ZackeryNM

Not sure how to make this long story short. Head gasket was blown between cylinders 3 and 4. Took the head off and found it scorched there as well. Took the head in to have it arch welded and machined. They cleaned it, ground the valves and set the lash. Here I am with a new head gasket kit on. The whole deal and a new thermostat to boot. We're all put together now. No vacuum leaks. No draw on the electrical system. Brought the engine up to operating temperature. Used the timing light and adjusted the dizzy until the timing showed 3° like the hood sticker points to. Here is the main issue. It's throbbing/shaking/chugging and it sounds like a flippin subaru flat four. I can't get it to time right. Any thoughts guys?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the chain set properly double checked with pics I took before taking it off. I labeled the spark plug wires as I took them off and all of those are in the right place. Hood sticker says 3° B.T.D.C. So three degrees before top dead center. I'm not sure what exactly I'm missing here.

Now that it's warmed up set your own valve lash, never assume that it was done for you correctly. 0.013" for in. or ex.

And 3 deg sounds to low, I normally shoot for 10-12.

Dual plugs light the fire in two places, and like burning a candle at both ends, it's burns twice as fast. A shorter burn time means that you need to light the fire much later to get the maximum pressure from the expanding gasses pushing down on the piston at the proper place after TDC.

The shorter burn time also reduces the time that heat is absorbed into the combustion chamber and the piston tops, (quench) allowing more to be used to do work pushing the pistons. There is also less time for oxides of nitrogen to form.

Corace its a z series 2 plug head motor its usually closer to 3-5 on these I think. L series yes you would be right.

Z series has a before and after spark

Now that it's warmed up set your own valve lash, never assume that it was done for you correctly. 0.013" for in. or ex.

Dual plugs light the fire in two places, and like burning a candle at both ends, it's burns twice as fast. A shorter burn time means that you need to light the fire much later to get the maximum pressure from the expanding gasses pushing down on the piston at the proper place after TDC.

The shorter burn time also reduces the time that heat is absorbed into the combustion chamber and the piston tops, (quench) allowing more to be used to do work pushing the pistons. There is also less time for oxides of nitrogen to form.

I should have read what he was driving, I assumed it was an L series. That's cool info though, I didn't realize that's what the dual plugs were for.

Solely for reducing pollution but inadvertently the NAPS system is rather detonation resistant when the timing is that short.

Also hemi head and cross flow so the exhaust port does not heat up the intake air too.

"Dual plugs light the fire in two places, and like burning a candle at both ends, it's burns twice as fast."

To quote the poet  "My candle burns at both ends.  It will not last the night!  But oh my darlings and oh my friends, it makes a pretty light!"

• Like 1

Where is your truck from?  For a California truck, an MPG (Z22), or a Cab and Chassis, you need to disconnect and plug the vacuum advance before you set timing.

In that case, you'll set the timing to 3deg +/- 2, and when you reconnect the advance, you'll probably see around 12deg btdc (if I did mine right, which I didn't necessarily do :o)

For a non-California, non-Cab-and-Chassis Z24, there is no advance at idle, so there's no need to disconnect the vacuum advance.

The MPG or Mileage motor was a Z20.

Disconnect vacuum advance to set timing? I would doubt this very much. The lack of advance at idle is key to reducing NOx emissions so I don't think California would do this at all. Besides the MPG wasn't available in California it had 9 to 1 compression.

Mike: here's my factory under-hood tune-up sticker:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/1622097_10100234766218418_912052555_n.jpg

It's a 3/1985 California 720, RWD with a Z24.  It definitely shows advance at idle with vacuum line connected (as mentioned, I believe it sits at around 12degrees BTDC).  When I pull the vacuum advance, it drops back down to 3degrees BTDC.

It's the specific ones that I mentioned.  It's all in the table at the bottom of page EF&EC-60 of the FSM (I have the '86 FSM).  Page subtitle is "Spark Timing Control System (Except M.P.G. and Camper models)"

The table caption doesn't mention California by name, but the table contents do.

(PS: ggzilla, thanks for the assist)

So. The lash was correct. The timing is correct at 3°. I'm getting spark. Dizzy looks fine. Did a compression test...

1- 125

2- 0

3-132

4-120

Looks like I have a bent valve. Only way I can think of this happening was if it was mashed when I torqued the head down. Being that the head went straight on without rocking or any odd contact kinda confuses me. Everything was in the right place.