Couple of questions

Hi guys newbie here.

So not a long time ago a Datsun 510 came for sale and it was near me, so I went to check it out and I`m not quite sure if I should take it or not.

Its a Canadian model so it has a 3-speed manual transmission, drum brakes in the front and an L13 engine.

Is there any chance I could make an L13 engine L16? I read somewhere that L13 is just de-stroked L16.

I would really like to switch from 3-speed manual to 4 or 5 speed floor shift manual transmission, so my question is are 3-speeds desirable (I would think they are not but you never know) because I would like to sell it and then get myself a 4 speed. I live in Europe and you dont see any of these cars around here so getting parts will be hard.

I couldn`t find answers to the questions, so if anyone could direct me to the link if this has already been answered.

The paintjob on the car is not bad, there isnt any rust to be seen. Im still a bit skeptical because you can still see some inperfections and I hope it isn`t just covered with filler everywhere.

Pics

12885884485_d97e3ba9fd_c.jpg

12885991613_71530a89d1_c.jpg12886308464_1ef810f52c_c.jpg

12885796705_b80f06efe8_c.jpg

So what do you guys think? The price for the car is around 1300$. I`d be happy to hear some feedback about what do you guys think about this car.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were L13, L14 and L16s available for the early 510 all with different strokes but same bores so swapping some parts like an L16 crank/rods/pistons would make it an L16. 

The L13 used a 4.375 rear end to allow the use of the three speed and such a small motor.

I would look for an L16 and 4 speed and just swap it in to get both.

That may not be from Canada I think. I know someone with an L14 in Canada and it does have the four drum brake and 3 speed but it was the early year car. That one you have has tail lights '69 or newer and the dash is newer still and no older than '70. The grill could be a '71. All Canadian 510 had a two piece front bumper with a seam in the middle, I don't remember that one. Canadian front parking lamps were available through '69. 

Many 510 parts interchange so maybe many were added from other years. Possibly European model?

Regardless that is a smart looking car! Get it and enjoy it.

• Like 1

The first thing that catches my eye is the front side markers are on backwards.  The rear side markers are missing, and the bottom of the rear quarter panel looks funny to me in that picture.  Check inside the trunk for possible previous damage there.  I think overall it looks like a decent car for the money.  Don't worry about upgrading the L13 to an L16, you will want an L20B or different swap anyways once you start driving it.  B)  And on that point, wait to swap the rear diff. until after you put in the 5spd trans that you will undoubtedly want to swap in it.  The front bumper looks familiar, but I can't place it at the momment.  Just look the body panels over closely inside and out for any signs of damage or bondo.  Crawl under the car and look for any damage.  If you don't see any obvious signs, then the body work is probably decent and not covering much.  At that point, I'd say buy it and ask more questions later. :D

Looks really clean and seems like a good price.

Why are there three pedals with an automatic?

Because as he stated "Its a Canadian model so it has a 3-speed manual transmission, drum brakes in the front and an L13 engine."  Read the whole posting before commenting.

I don't think the rear side markers are missing- they likely never existed.  Pretty much only North America used rear side markers in the 70s.  I suspect that's not a Canadian car, but a normal Euro model car.

You could be right about it not being Canadian.  But the OP did state that it's a Canadian car.  And it's possible that it could be.  One sign I see is that tubular rear bumper.  My '75 Canadian spec Mini originally had ugly tubular bumpers like the one on this 510.....

Even if it's not Canadian, I'm convinced that the lower rear quarter panel isn't correct.  It's missing the distinctive lower body line and it's horizontal with the rocker panel like it's been cut straight across. It's not angled down to meet the lines of the rocker panel.  This tells me it's possible the quarter panel may have been hit.  Here is a pic that shows what I'm talking about.  Actually, if you Google 510, in almost every pic, in every color, you can see that body line.  Yet in the OP's pic, you can't.....

By no means am I saying I'm right and your wrong, I just want the OP to thoroughly look the car over before purchasing it.  Given that the OP was told it's a Canadian car, it should have rear side markers.  And if it doesn't, then why not?  That's all I'm trying to convey.

12885991613_71530a89d1_c.jpg

VS

sstp-1201-03%2B1970-datsun-510%2Brear-vi

I suppose it could be a Canadian car with all kinds of miss matched parts. Very few came with front drums only very early same with the L14 motor. Don't think we got an L13. I had a '68 and got the early amber rear turn signals on it. Those are '69 or newer. Definitely NOT a '68 body.

See if the build year is on the driver's door post tag.

Thanks for the replies guys. Well the car might not be a Canadian model. I just thought it is by noticing that it has all the signs of a Canadian model, but I didn`t know European models existed because I couldn`t find any info about European models at all. 

The last time I was there checking the car out, the engine was not running but it was probably just a battery, so the owner then later said he will replace it, and that the engine works. Also the water pump is not in the engine, but the owner has already bought a new one. 

The owner wasn`t there when I was there so I couln`t ask him about anything really.

Does anyone know the weight of a L16 engine with a 4-speed (or 5) transmission so I can calculate how much would shipping cost me?

At what price can you get a decent running engine and trans, that need to be cleaned up, but they do work?

I`ll check if the engine is running smoothly and go trough bodywork with a magnet just to see how much bondo is underneath.

I really don`t wanna end up replacing a lot of the body panels, because of the shipping cost.

Thanks for the replies guys. Well the car might not be a Canadian model. I just thought it is by noticing that it has all the signs of a Canadian model, but I didn`t know European models existed because I couldn`t find any info about European models at all. 

The last time I was there checking the car out, the engine was not running but it was probably just a battery, so the owner then later said he will replace it, and that the engine works. Also the water pump is not in the engine, but the owner has already bought a new one. 

The owner wasn`t there when I was there so I couln`t ask him about anything really.

Does anyone know the weight of a L16 engine with a 4-speed (or 5) transmission so I can calculate how much would shipping cost me?

At what price can you get a decent running engine and trans, that need to be cleaned up, but they do work?

I`ll check if the engine is running smoothly and go trough bodywork with a magnet just to see how much bondo is underneath.

I really don`t wanna end up replacing a lot of the body panels, because of the shipping cost.

From what I've seen, the consensus on the L series engine weight is around 250lbs and the 280zx trans is around 100lbs.  Price wise, you can find a "running" L series engine from $100 on up.  The Trans can sometimes be found as low as $50 up to $200.

Rather than ship an engine and transmission to yourself, I'd suggest looking for a common engine and trans swap that you can easily get a hold of.  Do you have any Nissan 300zx's or 240sx cars in your area, or Nissan D21/Hardbody trucks?  If you do, you could go with a VG30 swap or KA24 swap or possibly an SR20DET swap.  The L20B came in the 620 and 720 truck.  Those seemed to have made it around the world.  Do you have those in your area? 

The European Bluebird 810 SSS came with L18 and dual SUs. Looks like our 810 but much shorter hood for the 4 cylinder. Used a long 5 speed dogleg transmission. I know a guy in Norway who may have the transmission. At the least he may know more about what Europe got for motors in their cars.

Later though. Get it and enjoy driving it first.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...