Can anyone identify this intake?

sprocket_jim

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

L16 intake. Unlikely early L18.  EGR was introduced in '74 when most L18s were around. Has what looks like a weber carb adapter on it. I see A46 cast on it?

Maybe this one???

#14002-A4625 12/'69- 07/'70 510 L16. Also used on the 521 but not after April '70.

It would work on the very early 610 L18 before Aug '73. After that they had an EGR gallery cast into it. As it is the pre '74 had slightly different casting bosses on it than this one. I think it's safe to say L16 intake from a 510. Might have come on an A87 head but the A87 was never sent here on any cars. They are all from imported JDM motors in the late '70s and into the'80 that were cheaper to buy than rebuilding worn out ones here.

Nothing special about it other than clean of EGR. Some think this 'clean look' is important somehow. The ports are smallish and suited for a small L16 or L18. Later L20B intakes had larger runners than that... but also the EGR. Just because it has the EGR doesn't mean you have to use it.

It would work on the very early 610 L18 before Aug '73. After that they had an EGR gallery cast into it. As it is the pre '74 had slightly different casting bosses on it than this one. I think it's safe to say L16 intake from a 510. Might have come on an A87 head but the A87 was never sent here on any cars. They are all from imported JDM motors in the late '70s and into the'80 that were cheaper to buy than rebuilding worn out ones here.

Nothing special about it other than clean of EGR. Some think this 'clean look' is important somehow. The ports are smallish and suited for a small L16 or L18. Later L20B intakes had larger runners than that... but also the EGR. Just because it has the EGR doesn't mean you have to use it.

Thanks a bunch for the info.

The open plenum under the carb can sometimes cause problems at low RPM with bogging under acceleration.

I had a similar adapter set-up on a stock L16 and it was tough to drive in damp and/or cool weather. You'd accelerate from a stop and the engine wanted to stumble. You sometimes had to get full into the throttle to get past it.

Made for some occasional "hard launches" out of toll gates. I got really bad looks from the toll takers, mostly because of the spinning tires and all the blatting from the Super Trap.    :devil:

It's not a stock intake for a W53, but it will work.  Most W53s were EFI, the rest (stock) used dual SU type carbs.  The W53 was not used on any North American Datsuns, but were commonly found on imported low-mile Japanese engines as well as late-model (79-80s) crate L16s.   That intake was originally mated to a casting 210 head.