All sorts of help needed!

rookiemechanic

Hello everyone.  I'm looking for some help.  I fell into a good, running 79 Datsun about 18 months ago.  Since then no trouble.....then I left my lights on!!  I had to get a jump.  After the jump the aftermarket radio that had never worked turned on.  When I drove home it DIED:(  Small burning smell.  Got a new battery took it the local auto part store.  They said I needed a new alternator.  Here's the best part.  No one could help me tell if I own a 1.4 or a 1.5.  They did however say that it didn't matter because the bigger alternator was only rated at 60 amps instead of 50.  I was told it wouldn't hurt anything.  I used all my car smarts and changed the alternator.  Now it runs, but if I leave it too long without running the battery dies.  The parking brake light also randomly turns on.  It turns off when I press on the brake pedal.  The battery light also occasionally flickers.  I would have it fixed, but $$ is a little tight.

I guess my main questions are:

1)  How do I know what engine I have?  The metal plate is rusted over.  All I can read is what looks to be an A14

2)  Are they right about the alternator being ok?  At one point one of the employees asked me if I reset the computer. I am not the smartest car guy around, but COME ON!!!!

3) Are there any ways (for a novice mechanic) to find what's draining the battery

I tried to post a couple pictures, but my computer skills are as equally poor as my mechanic skills.

Thanks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone.  I'm looking for some help.  I fell into a good, running 79 Datsun about 18 months ago.  Since then no trouble.....then I left my lights on!!  I had to get a jump.  After the jump the aftermarket radio that had never worked turned on.  When I drove home it DIED:(  Small burning smell.  Got a new battery took it the local auto part store.  They said I needed a new alternator.  Here's the best part.  No one could help me tell if I own a 1.4 or a 1.5.  They did however say that it didn't matter because the bigger alternator was only rated at 60 amps instead of 50.  I was told it wouldn't hurt anything.  I used all my car smarts and changed the alternator.  Now it runs, but if I leave it too long without running the battery dies.  The parking brake light also randomly turns on.  It turns off when I press on the brake pedal.  The battery light also occasionally flickers.  I would have it fixed, but $$ is a little tight.

I guess my main questions are:

1)  How do I know what engine I have?  The metal plate is rusted over.  All I can read is what looks to be an A14

2)  Are they right about the alternator being ok?  At one point one of the employees asked me if I reset the computer. I am not the smartest car guy around, but COME ON!!!!

3) Are there any ways (for a novice mechanic) to find what's draining the battery

I tried to post a couple pictures, but my computer skills are as equally poor as my mechanic skills.

Thanks

1. A14 would be a 1.4

2. a 10 amp boost should be ok

3. pull 1 fuse and let it sit. if the battery still drains put it back and pull another one. if you find one that stops the battery from going dead you know its something on that circuit. once you do this report back.

dont be afraid to ask questions, we are all still learning and a question you might ask can help someone down the road. i know i have learned alot from reading old threads. and most importantly

lets see some pics of your ride!!!!!!

Here is some light reading to get yourself more acquainted with you Datsun.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=A14_Engine

I use the tech wiki site all the time.

To me it sounds like you have some bare wires on the floor or in the dash.

I would first check out the ones on the floor by removing the carpet and padding.

Good luck!

Oh, yeah! we want pics of your ride.

That funny business with the aftermarket radio is a big red flag!  If it's like most aftermarket radios it has an in-line fuse capsule in the +12 volt line.  Find it and remove the fuse.  If your problem goes away, it was a short to ground, or a mid to high impedance  sneak path to ground.  If so, get another radio, it's much cheaper than paying a repair man [if any still exist] to track down and repair what you have.

Thanks

There is NO computer in the '79 210.

A14 is A series and 1.4 liters

Nothing wrong with a higher output alternator. I replaced my 50 amp with a 100 amp. Everything works better.

Get a $3 test lamp. Disconnect one of the battery cables and connect the test lamp between cable end and battery post. Any draw will light the lamp. Pull fuses one at a time. If the lamp goes out you have the circuit that has the draw. There are things that are powered at all times such as head lamps, marker lights, interior lamp, horn, brake lights, 4 way flashers, clock and cigar lighter.

Does your horn work? If not maybe the horn stuck and the previous owner pulled the wires off the horns.... the relay will still be ON and drain the battery even with the key off.

Recently all my lights, horn, brake lights etc went out. It was definitely the fuses.

As for battery drain, i dealt with this a lot. Alternator, to replacing old wires, to my ground wire falling off my starter. And then, finally, figured out a bolt was digging into the side of the battery behind the lights, draining that cell completely

Here's some pictures of my car.  She's a bit dusty looking but gets me where I need to be every day. 

Also, after all the help I disconnected the after market radio.  It's been 2 days and still starting up.  It doesn't seem to have all the power cranking it should after its been sitting a while, but I can get to work every day!

front_zps688217f9.jpg

side_zps8028f251.jpg

rear_zps85ad5cc4.jpg

engine1_zpsdfc60b6f.jpg

interior2_zpsc8c1e3f5.jpg

interior1_zps17c3711e.jpg

I could use some advice again.  It's inspection time and last inspection I was told to get some things fixed.

First one, Can someone tell me the name of the part missing in the photo

engine2_zps21f8d66e.jpg

It is on the lower driver side of the engine block.  I saw it on the link Sierra gave me (thanks btw).  But I don't know what it is called.

The other item that I don't know what about is the pic below.  It's the round piece located directly in front of the block

engine3_zpsa1fc9339.jpg

Again, thank you for the help.  Sorry if they're dumb questions