Nissan 3.0 V6 Factory Turbo (340HP)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Boonedock, I think you're pissing in the wind with the original idea and set of circumstances to get there, but I will back you on the fact that I like the Maverick better than the Camaro.  And the Maverick is much more rare.  And it's Ford.  Sweeeet!  :)

You say you want a car that handels and to run on road corses. So why pick a solid rear axle car? I know it can be done,  but an independent rear suspention would be so much better.

Maybe you could graft one into the mav, but if your not carfull you will be adding to the weight problem.

Ahhhh,

true true, and have grafted an IRS, difficult yes, result pretty cool...yeah Im open to any car really...with in reason...I mean there is still a balance between budget and form...If the build is with the VQ and promoting its advantages, then perhaps a factory car that weighs less then 2200 isnt the best. I say this because, we need to consider what the EXTRA costs that MIGHT be involved to get it to handle better then stock.

I agree with you on this, but lets say the car is a pretty close to 50/50 with a straight axle, then do we spend the extra time and $$$ to get the IRS.....maybe...maybe not.

The set up on my Camaro is pretty good, and is used in the Nostalgic Trans Am series currently by many dudes. Can an IRS perform better, yeah maybe...but is worth the extra 2500 to 3500 dollars, plus the time...depends on your objective...to me know, if the car inst competing for money on a road course then I'm fine with setting up a straight axle, and looking a the positives with using one helps justify doing so. 

But if there is an IRS laying around for few hundred....maybe.

And for the record, I don't want a car that handles, I want a car and make it handle to my likening....lol...

i have one of these motors in my s13 and it should weigh in at ~2500lbs with me in it...i could probably answer any question you have about it...the Y33(95-99) vq30det is the motor that you will want as it doesnt have NATS and DBW like the Y34(99-04)

Yeah,

Nice, are yo or have you delt with the turbo version....your thoughts or take on the process and performance...yadda yadda

Boonedock, I think you're pissing in the wind with the original idea and set of circumstances to get there, but I will back you on the fact that I like the Maverick better than the Camaro.  And the Maverick is much more rare.  And it's Ford.  Sweeeet!   :)

HRH,

I like that you speak your mind, and you may be right about the piss blowing back on me, in the past this has pushed me to do things....just to prove a point....not always the right reason, but sometimes surprising results.....lol.

But yes, the Maverick may be the next car to start going up in hard to find category or at least in price....plus done right with the correct year, to me look pretty evil, their specs as a chassis aren't too bad to deal with when it comes to handling, and if you decide to do unspeakable things to it like I do, your not looked at as ruining a CLASSIC car YET.

Id like to see how confused a car guy would be, 1. rolling up in a 73 Maverick that looks like it should be illegal to drive in the streets, 2. the dumb founded puppy dog twisted head stair, when the sound of the VQ going through the gears at 6k +RPM's...gotta be priceless. ...good stuff

Straight axle cameros can easily be setup to corner as hard as any IRS.

Can a V6 perform better, yeah maybe...but is worth the extra 2500 to 3500 dollars, plus the time...depends on your objective...

could not agree more, with both statements...this is what makes this hobby/passion/obsession fun, and sharing views with car peeps on the boards.

• Like 1

I just like it cuz u could go to a show and see one sick maverick or 10 poorly executed camaros ...... That's what I liked about going to car shows ....... Seeing something that isn't everything for once ...... I say build it but do like a og inline six cylinder with a turbo ........ But piss in the wind ....... I like wagons blazers and vans so my opinion is whack to begin with

Ahhhh,

true true, and have grafted an IRS, difficult yes, result pretty cool...yeah Im open to any car really...with in reason...I mean there is still a balance between budget and form...If the build is with the VQ and promoting its advantages, then perhaps a factory car that weighs less then 2200 isnt the best. I say this because, we need to consider what the EXTRA costs that MIGHT be involved to get it to handle better then stock.

I agree with you on this, but lets say the car is a pretty close to 50/50 with a straight axle, then do we spend the extra time and $$$ to get the IRS.....maybe...maybe not.

The set up on my Camaro is pretty good, and is used in the Nostalgic Trans Am series currently by many dudes. Can an IRS perform better, yeah maybe...but is worth the extra 2500 to 3500 dollars, plus the time...depends on your objective...to me know, if the car inst competing for money on a road course then I'm fine with setting up a straight axle, and looking a the positives with using one helps justify doing so. 

But if there is an IRS laying around for few hundred....maybe.

And for the record, I don't want a car that handles, I want a car and make it handle to my likening....lol...

If you wish to stay with a solid rear axle you could do what some people call a " lotus link " rear suspension ( however lotus link is not the correct term). This set up uses a lower wishbone " trailing arm" and two upper trailing arms.

Its very popular in scca gt3 cars. I have a friend who has a 240sx gt2 car that is using it very sucessfully.

The down side is that the roll center is very low, ok for stickey tires at the track but not ideal for the street.

A standard 3 link would probably be better ( better than leafs for sure!).

It seems to me, that an early generation RX7 might be more to your speed than the Mav'. It's probably a bit lighter, and you'll still get the same look when people hear that it's not a rotary.

That said, I'm all for ridiculous crap. Make it yours, and make it unnecessarily awesome. Have fun and keep us all updated. You seem to know what you want and how to get it, so go frikkin finish the Camaro so we can see progress yo!!

If you wish to stay with a solid rear axle you could do what some people call a " lotus link " rear suspension ( however lotus link is not the correct term). This set up uses a lower wishbone " trailing arm" and two upper trailing arms.

Its very popular in scca gt3 cars. I have a friend who has a 240sx gt2 car that is using it very sucessfully.

The down side is that the roll center is very low, ok for stickey tires at the track but not ideal for the street.

A standard 3 link would probably be better ( better than leafs for sure!).

GT2,

yes there are several set ups that work just fine, and one could argue sometimes better then IRS, most of the time it all depends on your needs. I like the IRS, but lean to straight axle, for me its more of an all around type of driving, parts cost and time...its just easier.

And a leaf set up can be made to handle better then most people think...but Im not hear to debate...for the most part ...in our world...its prefrence and what you feel comfortable with....most of the time its cost.

Good input and info though.

It seems to me, that an early generation RX7 might be more to your speed than the Mav'. It's probably a bit lighter, and you'll still get the same look when people hear that it's not a rotary.

That said, I'm all for ridiculous crap. Make it yours, and make it unnecessarily awesome. Have fun and keep us all updated. You seem to know what you want and how to get it, so go frikkin finish the Camaro so we can see progress yo!!

I did look at RX-7, the earlier models dont do anything for me and the sexier years I would want to ruin or alter for this build.

But your right, two other projects need to be done before this one starts, the 260z...about 85%, and my poor Camaro..around 78%. Its really a pain in my head working on both at the same time...and the boys are about ready to drive....so Im staying focused on the Z for now.

There was progress made on the Z this weekend, but no pictures, so maybe at the end of this week we can post.

Gents,

good stuff for the most part...lol.

Really enjoy these types of discussions for many reasons, but maybe two of the responses had what Im diggin for.That is RWD car suggestions

....Im not stuck on the Maverick, its just a car I wanted to do this to about 10 years ago, (not the VQ motor).

Looking for something that has NOT been over done...or hard to get a solid start due to pricing...I.E. 510, RX7 240sx..., The lighter cars are fine, but will require moving the motor towards the cab...that is if the stock plant weighs less then 250lbs, which I dont mind doing, just more work of course.

Im going to take a look at an old Dodge Colt, the specs anyway...see what that comes out to be...Old BMW's ? throw out the ideas... :confused:

Mmmmm... Mitsubishi.

-Robert

Robert,

I have time, so yeah anything is worth investigating...for some reason Im leaning towards cars with round head lights....dont ask me why...? I dont know, I guess it looks attractive and older.

Starting looking at 924 and 944's as well, Starion or Conquest have that same look too me, and are a great platform, I know the 944 was a good 50/50 car with the transmission located in the rear......are the Starions/Conquests set up the same way?...I know these cars dont have round head lights, but they have a timeless look to them that I can look past...lol

One car I've always kept an eye out for is the 2nd (?) gen supra, 86.5 to 89 I believe. Price has always stoped me tho.

They have an excellent front and rear suspention, double a arm up front with a nice aluminum upper arm. Multi link in rear.

Bad: thier kind of heavy.

If you want an old school look, take a look at the 1st gen supra. Its a "kind of" flaired out selica.

I might have my gens mixed up a bit, there is another gen supra in there that is realy hideous, dont get that one!

Robert,

I have time, so yeah anything is worth investigating...for some reason Im leaning towards cars with round head lights....dont ask me why...? I dont know, I guess it looks attractive and older.

Starting looking at 924 and 944's as well, Starion or Conquest have that same look too me, and are a great platform, I know the 944 was a good 50/50 car with the transmission located in the rear......are the Starions/Conquests set up the same way?...I know these cars dont have round head lights, but they have a timeless look to them that I can look past...lol

I had one guy argue with me how a Dodge Colt is American, after I enlightened him that its 100% Mitsubishi lol.

An engine swap in a 944 would be a cool idea. The Starion's weight distribution is 52/48 (FR), the transmission location is bolted to the engine. If you are willing to cut the firewall and place an engine in for optimal balance, I support the swap... most aren't able to do this and end up just removing the sway bar, shows how much they care about handling lol.

-Robert

One car I've always kept an eye out for is the 2nd (?) gen supra, 86.5 to 89 I believe. Price has always stoped me tho.

They have an excellent front and rear suspention, double a arm up front with a nice aluminum upper arm. Multi link in rear.

Bad: thier kind of heavy.

If you want an old school look, take a look at the 1st gen supra. Its a "kind of" flaired out selica.

I might have my gens mixed up a bit, there is another gen supra in there that is realy hideous, dont get that one!

Yes newer Supra is well known for the suspension parts that are on there from factory, and can handle well out of the box, if only they shaved 500lbs off of it. They tend to be on the heavy side, I think close to 4k....I could be off a bit, and yes the next gen down isnt too bad either, but your right on the one you and I are thinking of....they tend to be pricey.

• Like 1

I had one guy argue with me how a Dodge Colt is American, after I enlightened him that its 100% Mitsubishi lol.

An engine swap in a 944 would be a cool idea. The Starion's weight distribution is 52/48 (FR), the transmission location is bolted to the engine. If you are willing to cut the firewall and place an engine in for optimal balance, I support the swap... most aren't able to do this and end up just removing the sway bar, shows how much they care about handling lol.

-Robert

Ahhh yes,

I think it was early 70's when MItsubishi and Chrysler started dating...he is wrong.

I like the 944 idea as well, but the body doesnt do it for me, the Starion has always been one of my favs as far as body goes, never knew about the weight or tranny location. If the stock motor in the Starion is less then the, VQ30DET then part of the distribution is solved, however I would consider moving the motor back regardless, if the spindles are rear steer...Ill assume you know what Im saying without making it sound like I know what Im talking about...lol

I think the only other draw back on the Starion is the front facia area, although there may be some type of after market face lift by now, oh and emissions...but Im pretty sure the new motor would have too many issues.

The steering linkage is on the rear of the hub. Full weight of an early widebody is around 2950lbs. A bit more than other similar designs, however the chassis is much stiffer and everything is "very well built"... and that was said by a Datsun diehard who was surprised during his first hands on experience with a Starion when we were prepping a chassis for race modifications.

-Robert