linkage issues

Janksun

The linkage in my 510 is not cooperating. I bought the car non running and the linkage was apart when I got it. But Idk how it's supposed to go together. I've tried pretty much everything I can to get it to work. Next thing I can think of is just fabbing up something that will work.

IMAG0193_zps19smllpx.jpg

If you look you can see that if I push the gas pedal, it will push the arm to turn the thing on the carb the wrong way. Is there another way to make this work or no? Everything else I've tried has not worked.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine rotates backwards just move your arms around ,, it will do it ,, you just have to move the rod to over the linkage. Been running it like this for 3 years because i used a 5200 carb as it was all i had.

MINE taken a minute ago

MonsterJam5003_zpsa71ea5fb.jpg

couple more to show other than that it's the same.

MonsterJam5001_zps75ba835c.jpg

MonsterJam5002_zps8453b02d.jpg

Is that what you ment??

Oh i think i see,, can ya weld ?? get a extra linkage arm (long part) from the Keeper ,, cut one end off then rotate to where you want then tack, pull out and finish weld. Oooor if no welder at car,, match up and use felt marker and weld at the Keepers when you go over. It don't have to be perfectly straight just in the right location,, rotation wise.

I would just risk it and use the one you got,, no matter if it takes 2 tries there is very little risk of messing it up permanantly.

?

Wanted to add that my carb didn't have nut on linkage to bolt on bracket, so i welded my bracket straight to the carb linkage, in so doing i was able to put bracket where the rod was , but i had forgotten that part.

((EDIT)) before you cut
I went back and checked out my build and it looks like my linkage was in the up and down position when done. almost like yours needs to be to slip into holes.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Is your gas pedal sitting on the floor??

Picture taken from this page

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/30398-on-advice-from-counsel-name-withheld-till-further-notice/page-2

Bolt a stock Datsun 521/620 carb quadrant to the Weber (or buy the Weber quadrant) and use a cable. The quadrant can be flipped for RH or LH operation.

Do you have the Weber DFV (LH version of the 32/36)?

Holley 5200 = low CFM Ford version of Weber DGV

Holley 5210 = low CFM GM version of Weber DFV

Idle position is pictured below

IMAG0199_zpsauzfug1j.jpg

Floored position is pictured below.

IMAG0200_zpsi5cugwtj.jpg

If the arm coming off the firewall is supposed to have the shaft below it, like pictured, and I were to press on the gas pedal, it would turn the carb the wrong direction.

Picture this sitting in the driver seat. To give the car gas the thing to turn on the carb has to rotate clockwise. Idk if this is normal or what, but this carb is just what came on the car.

Wayno, if I were to turn the carb around I'd still have to fab something up. So might as well make this work.

Bananahamuck, thanks for the video, it's very useful. Oh and nice feet! Lol

I think what I'm going to do it heat up the arm that goes from the firewall to the carb and bend it until it works.

• Like 1

If you turn the carb around, it then will be opened the opposite way, but that doesn't mean it is even possible with that carb.

When you put the arm over the shaft with the pedal in the idle position, I take it shaft doesn't line up with the holes?

The photos you have posted all show the linkage in the floored position except the last photo, so I can only imagine/guess what position it will be in, to me it looks like it might be close, but I have a set of linkage out in the garage right now, and it doesn't like to be lifted very high without binding.

I have not had a 510 in several years, so this stuff is getting fuzzy to me now.

In only one picture the linkage is floored. And that is the last one. All the others are at idle.

If I put the arm on top of the piece that runs from the carb to the firewall just like the picture below,

IMAG0194_zpsknulwqdw.jpg

It ends up like this in idle position

IMAG0195_zpseiabp2wt.jpg

It's a 32/36DFAV

DING DING DING!!

The correct carb for your Datsun is a DGEV. A DFAV ( same as a DFEV but originally with an aqua choke) is pretty much a mirror image of a DGEV, and was widely used on 1st gen Rabbits and Scirrocco's. And the throttle swings the other way, if I remember correctly. Get a cable or a DGEV.

• Like 1