To put A/c or not

RTB

I have one of the long underdash A/C units along with the compressor and radiator. I haven't seen any pictures on how its set up so if anyone has those I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, is it worth putting in? How much does it drain HP and does it even cool effectively?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All the 510's I have had had Ac under dash units in them. The first 510 I bought had one that worked but it was weak. I took them out of all my 510's. it seemed to tax the motor too much. My timing cover cracked on the way to work once because a bolt that holds the bracket the compressor attches to came loose and oil came pouring out on the ground. Lucky it happened right as I got to work. So after that I always took them off the car. Now I have more leg room.

If you can get all the parts, and put it together, you should do it. Sure it will sap some power, but so what, it sucks to be sweating while you drive. I'm done with those days, I want comfort now.

We have one 510 that we're going to add A/C to, but it is also a VG30 powered car. I had a wagon with an L-18 with an auto tranny that had A/C, it blew ice cold and was great here in Phoenix during the summer. Those old aftermarket systems worked surprisingly well. I ran R134 in mine and it worked just fine. I've got another 510 that I may add it to as well, but don't have any components for it yet.

• 2 months later...

My first 510 (72 2 door,L16 w/ 4 speed) came with A/C. It wprked great and blew ice cold air. It taxed the engine a good bit when in use but boy was it nice not to sweat on those hot summer days.Especially with the stock black vinyl seats That car is gone but I still have the under dash unit from it and plan to install it on my VG33 powered car. I will be getting all new parts for the rest of the install and just use the under dash evaporator unit from the original system. I plan to have it retrofitted to run on R134. A modern compressor is much lighter so the brackets to mount it should not be so heavy as to break anything, 

If you live in an area where it gets hot and/or humid, I say do it. 

• Like 1