Need a little 4-1-1

65L320

Okay guys, I'm on the East Coast and as you know Datsuns are fairly rare around here. I currently own an L320 but I am looking for a family ride. I have come across a 411 on craigslist. I'm really hoping for some expert opinions on what I would be getting myself into. I've been reading posts on the 411s just to get an idea on how hard it would be to maintain. The car is about seven hours away from me so I can't go see it in person. I just want to know what parts are super hard to find, and what part should I make sure are with the car? I definitely want to ask a ton of questions but I want to make sure they are intelligent ones lol. The car looks basically complete to me but I know it's missing some things (engine, clutch and brake master cylinder) and I know just from the pictures you guys would be able to tell me whether or not I should just stay away lol. Any help would be awesome!

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/4208157415.html

Thanks for the help! MIKE

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firdt of all, there are no 1966 RL411 Super Sports Sedans, the line began in 1967.  Check the chassis number stamped on the firewall, it should start "RL411@@@" not "PL411@@@".  It's hard to say from the photo but it looks like a section of RL411 left front inner fender liner has been cut from a genuine RL411 and welded into a PL411 fender liner to provide the necessary routing hole for the exhaust.  Also, the battery mount is not the RL411 type which uses a keyed plastic tray to position the original "skinny" type53 battery which is shared only with the 1964 Corvair, it's that rare.  There are aftermarket batteries which will fit, interferrence with the alternator under acceleration is the reason for a narrow case battery.  This car comes with a ton of real RL411 trim pieces!  The wheel covers are a mix of RL411 "porthole" and PL411 slotted covers.  Both desirable.  The gasoline filter mount has been switched to the proper RL411 side to fit the R1600 engine fuel pump.  I don't see a glass bowl filter in pix of the parts boxes, with luck it's there.  The "spare engine" may or may not be a proper type R.  This engine came in 2 slightly different versions, the standard roadster engine is too long for the 411 engine compartment so the front pulleys, water pump and alternator mount had to be modified to forshorten them to fit.  The valve cover also was modified to clear the wiper motor when assembling the engine by beveling it at the rear [a modification carried over to late roadster engines to simplify supply].

What's there looks like Primo goods!  If the engine is not a R1600, you can sometimes buy one from roadster owners who persist in screwing up a rare vehicle by "upgrading" to a 240SX or 2 liter forklift engine.  Look in our parts for sale or haunt the 311org sited for engine availability.  A standard roadster engine can be satisfactorily converted to fit the standard 411 engine compartment.

This car needs to be saved PL411 or quasi RL411 conversion!

Edited by MikeRL411

That is a really nice looking 411. It's nice to see some of the older datsuns popping up on the east coast. If it were closer you would have some competition on the listing. Well that and if my seven year old hadn't claimed all my money for his christmas...

Just from what I've seen, the asking price is lower than the actual value of the parts and body. The only question I would have is about the other engine. Get some pics of it and make sure it is the correct engine. There was a guy down here selling a 411 in much worse shape with a "spare" engine that was an A12... If eveything is good, great score and good luck on the rebuild.

Thanks for all the info guys!!! Will the J13 work ok? I was looking for a R1600. I'm pretty sure that my L320 has had the J13 swap and it's still turd lol. I want something that will keep up with traffic. Will 67hp be ok in a 411? I'm hoping to even drive in the highway every now and then.

Based on the pictures I suspect that this car was originally equipped with a J13, so fit would not be a problem.  Since it looks like the hard things have been done to convert to a RL411 configuration the J engine would be a place holder until you could get a R engine,  It will move, but will not set any speed records with a J engine,  "Servicable" would be a good description.  With a R engine you would be surprised at how many BMW2002 you could embarass!  Don't ask how I know.  Wishing you good luck if you pick this one up.

i hate to do it but im gonna disagree with mike on just about everything, theres no evidence of the hole being welded on the inner fender since all the stock blue is undisturbed by welding, the crossmemeber has the correct mounts, the fule line is the stock one, its got the right trans, and i can see evidence that it had the c pillar emblems in one pic. im gonna say its a genuine rl411. that being said its prolly not a 66. if it is registered as a 66 cross check the reg and body vin as its prolly been swapped. mikes correct in all his specs on the car, i just dont think this is a converted car. also no that is not original paint. you can see overspray on the weather stripping, and the trunk and engine bay are stil in the "island turquoise" blue. i know cause my 411sss is still that color. it looks like a nice car if its rust free, i would never pay 2000 for it with no motor or gas tank. the tank only fits this car and could be hard to find. master cylinders would be an easy find. all the true sss exhaust is a lil harder to find too. and the intakes... and the oil pans. theres a guy in la habra that has a island turquoise 411sss that is hording the stuff, hes got a few pans intakes and exhaust... but hes hoarding it all and im not interested in selling it right now. you may need to buy another car just to finish this out, i had to when i rebuilt my 411ss casue it was used to fix a fire damages j13 wagon. dumbest thing ever, i saw pics of my car before it was parted out, it was perfect! just had a bad motor. but it was there so i just got a roadster one and swaped all my stuff in. they gutted the interior, which is another hard find. last thing, kame sure the widsheild isnt broke, last guy i qouted on one was around 400, they just arent available and my 2 sopares are just in case any of the 3 411s i have gets a crack. best of luck

FYI, there is a R16 with 4sp tranny in Philly right now on 311s.org for $150.  Jump on this car and then jump on that motor.  I have just bought a 411 goon and have all kind of extra sss parts if you want to keep running the SU's

Erich, I defer to your judgement on this.  My low resolution monitor and my crappy eyesight [not everything lasts as long as a well maintained Datsun] saw a seam around the fender opening.  Could be the light playing with shadows and making a stamping press draw line look like a seam.

Thanks for the info! I've being looking at the R16 in Philly but I want to make sure the car is mine first. The owner is supposed to be taking more pics of the car for me. I'm 8 hours away so going to just look at is it out of the question. He also said the "extra motor" came out of a truck so I'm not too interested in it. I really am glad the 411 crowd is more willing to help than others. I really appreciate all of the help. I'm going to listen to you guys and not too the wife LOL. MIKE

Well guys it looks like I won't be getting the car. He won't come off of the asking price and there is more rust repair than I want to tackle. If it was in my area code it would've been a better possibility but it would be at least another $400 in gas. I'll keep on looking and if anyone hears of one for sale let me know. Thanks for all the info and help. MIKE

• 3 weeks later...

hey,its Alan, i actually found your post.  We just got another foot of snow, with another foot plus coming thursday into friday.  Will have pics of the 411 and possibly a video of the car running and maybe doing some shenaningans in the yard.  We dont use any salt in the driveway, so no worries about it getting "salted"411frontend002.jpg

Yeah I called out that guy on everything that was misleading about his CL ad. I think he was offended but I don't want others to be misguided. He doesn't know much about the car but was trying to BS me all kinds of things that didn't make sense. Oh well lol

Smelt240, I can't wait to see more pics and a video of that beauty!

That is good to know! The pl411s must be geared totally different than the L320. 50 mph is about as fast as I feel safe. The highway is not an option for the little truck lol.

FYI, I crused the 405 Freewayfrom LA to the turnoff to San Jose many times in my 411.  I  will admit to going 65MPH but got to San Jose much sooner.  The only problem I ever had was running into a tumbleweed at 65 MPH [ all I will admit to]  Southbound near Kettleman City.   The fuzz totaly screwed up my radiator until I found an open service station and reverse flushed my radiator.

Pics are slow. It is -13 here right now, with snow and a 25 mph wind plus the 3 feet of snow from before, and an inch and a half or so of ice on all the trees.....  Luckily i put fresh coolant in when I redid the grille and lights!  As soon as this weather breaks, im going to make the rounds with the booster pak, and start all the toys that are hiding around the house. I hate to see this car go, but then again, I hate to see it sit when there is someone out there who will use it, and be further South than me, so they can enjoy it more.  We had a lot of fun though. As for highway speeds.... 65 is NO problem,  75 is easy, 85..well....we might have done that once or twice.... and 95 is about it.... the acceleration is where it shines (for what it is).  Someone who can shift well wont have any trouble in light to light fun.  It is surprisingly quick. No, it wont beat my SR'd 240sx, but you can make kids in loud Civics go home frowning...