2000 nissan xterra wont start please help

Justin Tawney

okay. so my dads Nissan xterra randomely stalled while on the freeway like it was running out of gas filled up 2 days before he got off parked it in a parking lot cranked but wouldn't start next day I replaced the fuel filter drove it home started stalling again when accelerated acts like its not getting gas and goes blub blub replaced fuel pump and another fuel filter its getting spark and fuel but still the same problem takes forever to start then it stalls and after idling 10 minutes of almost normal running it starts to blub again when it is accelerated. anyone know what is wrong? my dad also got in a wreck in it about a week before rear ended someone on the right side not very much damage bumer and fender were bent if that has anything to be with that.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This happened to a customer's 00' Xterra that came in a while back. We replaced the distributor with a used one from a wrecking yard and it cleared it up. About a year later, he came back with the same issue. This time, he shelled out the cash for a brand new dizzy. After installation, the problem vanished. Been good ever since.

Check the MAF sensor.  If it will sit overnight and start the next day, idle for a few minutes like nothing is wrong then cut out, rough idle to where you need to feather it to keep it going.....that is what happened to me before and another friends Nissan.  Both were the MAF and both had the same symptoms as you.  Cheap and easy place to look and test first.

• 1 month later...

This happened to a customer's 00' Xterra that came in a while back. We replaced the distributor with a used one from a wrecking yard and it cleared it up. About a year later, he came back with the same issue. This time, he shelled out the cash for a brand new dizzy. After installation, the problem vanished. Been good ever since.

the next day after they replaced the cam sensor it was still acting up it was in the shop until a week ago they replaced the distributor and it ran fine.

hand that man a beer

• 2 months later...