Should I Plug This Opening Or Not?

camsta97

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks like where the heat riser would go to your air box. Your truck won't run any different whether it's plugged or not since it's not being fed warm air. The idea behind the heat riser is to get your engine to temperature faster by funneling warmer air in using heat from the exhaust manifold. There would have been a tube of some sort going from your exhaust manifold to the air box.

It depends on where you live.  Southern Arizona, no big deal, do with it what you want.

I live in western Oregon.  My Datsun is much happier getting warn air into the engine this time of year.  I have a 521, and there is a manual valve on the air cleaner snorkel, that you can put on cold or hot. 

DragonAirLid_zps56c5b6b4.jpg

Damn right. When near freezing the fuel absorbs heat from the air to evaporate. This can drop the air several degrees or more causing the water vapor to frost over the venturi and eventually cover it. You may have noticed the base of a carb with frost on it in the winter??? Anyway the venturi can't form a vacuum to suck fuel in and it runs lean. You find yourself stepping down on the gas more and more until it quits. A couple of minutes on the side of the road and it thaws out and away you go, only to quit in about a 1/4 mile. Most warm air set ups rust off over the years. My 620 was this way. I cut a Maxwell coffee can open and wrapped around the exhaust manifold. Slipped a metallic hose from a chevy stove pipe under it and wired it on. Worked like a hot damn... next summer I found a good one and put it on properly.