Timing mark

Is at idle I adjusted the timing light so that the mark lines up with 0degrees

Don't do that. Set the light to zero then check the timing mark and see if it is on 10° when idling. If it is off a little rotate the distributor. Then take it for a spin. If it runs good, revs to 7000 in first gear and doesn't ping all is OK.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Z20/22 and Z24s have the saw tooth timing scale also and the 'same' as for the L20B side near the alternator.

Actually there is a slight difference in the scale but if you look the zero is in the same place on all. Just clockwise of the mounting bolt.

L20B ('79)

L20Btimingscales001Large.jpg

Z24timingscales0012Large.jpg

Z24

L20Btimingscales0011Large.jpg

( lol Went out and took these pictures 5 min ago. L20B in driveway, Z24 in back yard and L20B timing cover in the stash pile. -9C / 16F friggin cold not used to it. Big Dog called me a pussy!!!)

Interesting Mike, my L20B in my '75 has those exact same timing tabs on it. Are you saying these only came on late blocks?

So I don't know I drove it again today it ran super strong really well the. I get up to about 3rd gear and it just sputters and wants to die idle is fine but I give it has and it don't really work should I check the carburator now maybe it got clogged up

Also check the spark and when I unplugged the second spark plug nothing happened but when I unplug any other spark plug it starts to die I don't get it switched wires and spark plugs and no difference at all it also has spark I can clearly see it has spark there

What could it be and could this cause the engine to kinda bog out ?

And the spark wires are at 1-3-4-2 on the cover of the dis

Should I switch the wires I don't get it!!!

Did I lose cylinder 2???

Is this a dual point dizzy?

try disconnect the 2nd set of points. the one with the smaller capcitor then try again.

thern you rnow its a 3rd gear switch thing. But really I never seen one in a 521 and I have 1 myself but its just a guess on my part that its the 2nd set of points not timmed right or your ignition timming is off whne it gets faster up to spees or you got a restricted fuel line or something like that.

is bushing on dixxy good? no side to side movement where it could opne the points? will give a poping /cutting out type proplem.

Oh on your timming light dont use the dial type. use a standard type light ir set yours to zero.

at basic idle you should be around 7-12degs BTDC and your in the middle of the timming plate or slight adv on it and have alot of room for adjustment if you wanted too. If the dizzy is cranked all the way to one side to to get 10deg you might be off a tooth on the dizzy spindal.

Ok so I got the timing in there set and adjusted the valves and now it's running strong on a cylinders idle is really good now

Now the only problem is how the power just cuts off while I'm driving as if the pump was not pumping ?? But there is gas in the carb I can see it there what could be causing this ?

Drives perfect then starts to back fire and kinda choke and runs out of power like if I really ran out of gas then I have. To clutch it and gas it go get it to go the sputters and it will just keep doing that till it dies

then starts right Back up no problem until I get it up to speed or of I play with the throttle

And single pionts

L16 with w53 head stock carb stock coil new points new Ngk spark plugs new condenser

get it running rev up the motor then put your hand on the main side of carb hole while you open up the vacuum 2ndary butterfly. If you 2nd side of carb works it should stay running. if not maybe the jet is plugged

but otherwise make sure its timmed.

fell the coil in case its hot but if its stock coil and ballast 95% i bet its OK.

this is a simple fix we are just overlooking soemthing . remeber its 40years old and something is giving out,

Ok everyone so I just got this fixed no more coolant leaks no more bogging ! More powaaaaarr

So I decided to change the headgasket because of some coolant leak and didn't want the oil to mix and then I would have to rebuild the whole thing and the PO has just had it "rebuild " but I well im happy now !

Now it runs so strong ! I was running on 3 cylinders the whole time I owned the truck the valves was just staying open I guess ?

I adjusted all the valves and when I turned it on omg so loud and strong !

But the bogging continued so I just did the cleaning on the carb I sprayed that motherf*cker down! Like 1 -1/2 cans of cleaner all over the jets and bowl and everything ! Then turn it on! Burnt off the cleaner now it idles so smooth I love my lil truck even more !

Now just install my chevy wheels rally I just got and I'll be smiling every single time I drive it thanks ratsun!!! And all you guys for your help

Also on a side note my gas pedal completely broke off but I got my welder handy gonna super weld that thang on ! To many power shifts turns out I was losing half the pedal throw to it being so lose !