Inexpensive Chrome Bumper plug alternative

HKS

I recently picked up a 71 510 and the first thing i had to do was remove the bumper guards. In doing so  I couldn't stand the visually unappealing holes left behind so I was left with three options. The first was to take the bumpers to a fabricator and weld up the holes and rechrome them. $$$$ Not to mention the condition of the chrome was still good.  The second was to use stainless steel bulk head fittings which would be too "bulky" and stand out like a sore thumb. The third was to use some caps that you can pick up at any hardware or local Home Depot like I did.

Sorry if this has mod has been covered in the past. I tried searching but haven't come across the same. Not to mention I am new to this forum. Let me know what you guys think!

IMG_8274_zps621d4d88.jpg

Those holes are complete eye sores!

IMG_8278_zps0f583a0b.jpg

Home Depot didn't have chome ones, only zinc plated but these looks much better than using bulk head screws I had initially planned to use. These came in at $1.77 a piece and fit perfectly. If anyone finds a set of chome plated ones let me know.

IMG_8279_zps12fc022d.jpg

To my suprise, Home depot did sell a packet of chome ones I could use for the license plate holes. A pack of 5 for $3.78 I chose the smaller 1/4 inch for a cleaner look.

IMG_8284_zps193b82c6.jpg

The smaller size required flaring the ends but you can also bend the tabs from behind the bumper to promote a good fit.

IMG_8290_zps9a47d076.jpg

Both sets of plugs installed

IMG_8295_zps32bb0731.jpg

Including the rear. They look a bit off in color with my camera (flash ON) but they are perhaps some metal polish will take care of that.

• Like 2
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic