my 1971 datsun521 (dotty) project drift truck!!

Hey there ill start from the bottom with the history..i bought my 521 about a year ago..its an L 16 with a junky carb ..it has a pertronix electrnic ignition system. Low compression in the middle cylinders.. it has a 5 speed i just bought a clutc for it..so i wanna drift this truck but i need some advice..i really wanna keep the L16 so i was looking for reuild kits nly fnding a couple that were pretty expensive..if i could get some site links that wuld be dope...um i am having a slight cooling issue..i have an electric fan about 12n..when my truck reaches operatng temp..my idle raises quite a bit and i have problems keeping it cool..any ideas..my alernatoe is new i bought it frm nap..when i put it on it whined with the engine rpm..i loosened it whic solved it but now it sunds like theres gravel inside it..t gets more rattly with more rpms..i had to tap the ground threads on the alternatr so. Was thnkng i should take it apart and inspect and clean..i want to lower it ive heard ndexing the torsin bars in front is a cheap one and bloxks in the back..mind you im locking up the rear end and drifting it lol..im also loking for fender flare ideas..and a winshield visor..oh and whats a good car to pull bucket seats out of..i need small seats.i realy wanna fnd a badass dual su crb set up or sme milkuni solexs so let me know..im know theres more but this s good for ne post lmao thanks everyone!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can we change the by laws to say your first post cant say the term drift...stance .....poke.....flush ... herra frush and or anything appearing to be drift fan boy status.....

I will elabortate....

1.  a l series,,, 16 18 or 20 is not for drifting ....

2. a 521 is a horrible idea for a drift truck .. there short light and already have poor traction issues out back due to the design of the truck...

3.  the first time u go tire slap this bitch into a corner and it loops out and shoves the bed throught the cab ... drift fan boy status will be over.....

listen its almost weekly,  someone  comes on here and says hey im gonna build a drift Datsun and go make formula d .....well bad car choice it can be done but why .... its gonna end in another Datsun wadded up and failed drift dreams shattered....there not designed to drift especially the trucks....and I would hate to see another datto gone to the wrecker over a choice to try and race a truck to be different .......if u wanna be different and drift a truck, then fine(I have plans for a drift truck to mock events with but it aint gonna be l series and it wont be carbed).. I would suggest one thing the 521 doesn't have and that's wheel base.,....next go a fi swap ..... carbed shit that aint 500 horse always ends in epic fail especially under powered l series stuff...listen I may be hating,  I may be a jerk .. but what im not doing is wasting your time inflating your idea of what this truck will do on track ... save your money build something u don't mind tire whipping into a barrier...u will thank me ... or u wont .. but I know the first time u take your l series 521 to the track u will be severally disappointed and probably regret the whole build ..... please ratsun agree with me we see this shit weekly...theres a ton of Datsun/Nissan trucks that would make good trucks for drifting but be warned a truck with no weight out back will go from heavy slide to loop out in a short amount of time .......please dot be pissed just build a nice stret truck and take your drift dreams down another avenue ...

• Like 5

apples and oranges...that's not a drift truck and like I said runs a fi motor and irs ... just sayin

member we talking welded diff and l 16 drift truck ....more like kiwis and watermelons but ...just sayin

Let alone how many guys can do the swap he did or soak the money which right on in my book,but cash is cash and even i have a limit.NOT

So thanks for the replys..i dont wan to snd like a drift fan boy ..i grew up drifting trucks n the gravel...which this truck wil drift sme gravel roads.. have pics and videos but no idea how to post.im on my phone..im really into this datsun..and itll go through hell and back before i leave it...i have a line on another truck for parts..i just want to get it all sarted so. Can get more practice and go to events and all that...i as thinking motor swap would be a definite solution...im gona do thngs cheap t start and even see if thats the route but i love this truck..pictures will be posted as soon as i find out how...curious is the 5 speed stock. Reverse is where first wuld be

Thanks for your input..herra cool guys im gonna go driftu now...i ddont wanna soumd like a driftu fanboy...i just grew u n the woods on them gravel roads...i wanna go t the street and soon tracks...i cant afford anything other than the whole torsion bar and block thing right now...im gonna lock it up eother swap for a 240sx motor or a miata or some simple4 cylinder injceced engine.but i still love the idea of rebulding..i know where a parts truck is comes with 2 engines s well see where i go i just wanna focus on getting it prctice ready..thanks everyone

I drift this truck as is every chance i get im hooked love the manual steering...theres something wrong with me i wanna drift a lil truck..short yeah but wheelbase is super close to a 240sx and they do great..hatchis are short but boom weight transfer...i like you truck. Read almost your whole post before i made an account ..i am not saying its going to be easy and i have a feeling about this truck...dotty wants to be sideways haha..thanks though for your input man

well ok if you have your mind set on drifting a 521 (really wish you didn't) I would suggest

1) building an LZ Hybrid engine lots more power (arguably) ($1000+),

2) a 5 spd from a 280zx would be choice of trans ($250+),

3) rear diff from a 720 ($100+).

4) Re-index torsion bars up front and 720 4x4 leaf springs in he rear will get you sitting lower ($100+)

5) for seats if you are gonna drift get racing bucket seats and 5 point harness for safety ($500+)

6) of course a disk brake upgrade would be required on all 4 corners ($1000+).

7) Full Roll Cage ($500+)

I figured adding guesstimated parts cost will make you think twice about building a drift truck. so far that is over $3000.00 just for parts

^agree with Z chopper.

Also event costs for drifting. 

Going on the track all day expect to go through a pair of rear tires and half the tread of the front tires. $450 cheap tires + mounting

Plus entry fees. $50-140

Plus whatever costs to get there, fuel, ect.

It sounds like you're young with ambitious goals like I was when I got my car.

You can barely afford tension bars ????

Forget drifting.  You have better things to worry about such finding a solid source of income sufficient to fund the project in a reasonable time frame before you can manage to get into it.

If you really love the truck, then keep it and build it up for a while.  Upgrade the suspension and fix anything that would be a safety concern (brakes, frame rust, ...), then figure out what route you want to go with power upgrades. 

Once its at a decent point and you have a solid budget you can see if you can afford drifting or still want to do it.

If you still want to go out and drift NOW after all the advice here, It would be cheaper in the long run just to get a decent S13 and weld the diff.  You'll spend way more time out on the track and less time screwing with datsun problems.

I'm not a drift fanboi hater.  I started drifting my wagon, and sometimes it sucks.  I'm barely at the point after 3 years where I can drive my car without the fear of something falling off. 

Just the 0.02$ from my experience. 

• Like 1

well ok if you have your mind set on drifting a 521 (really wish you didn't) I would suggest

4) Re-index torsion bars up front and 720 4x4 leaf springs in he rear will get you sitting lower ($100+)

5) for seats if you are gonna drift get racing bucket seats and 5 point harness for safety ($500+)

I figured adding guesstimated parts cost will make you think twice about building a drift truck. so far that is over $3000.00 just for parts

Lets not forget stiffer front sway bar putting some weight in the rear and maybe a rear sway bar did you say wheels and tires yet,suit helmet goggles a cup for your balls and the list will keep going and going,but good luck my friend.

Post pics from start to end.

• Like 1

though there was that 620 that was built in drift style and I think it was taken out drifting a couple times on a closed course It had a fighter themed paint job like the 510 at the top of every ratsun page. 

Now let's see a pic of your 521

edit here is the 620 I mentioned http://andysapp.com/2010/10/s3-magazine-feature-%E2%80%93-chad-copeland%E2%80%99s-datsun-620/

2/ A five speed won't help much. I imagine drifting is in the lower 2 or 3 gears?

3/ A 720 differential? The 521 is a 4.375 so I'm assuming you would like even higher like 4.625 or even a 520s 4.875 to keep the revs way up in the lower gears? Don't think 720 gearing is the way to go for drifting.

6/ Disc brakes? All you need for drifting is a center mount hydraulic hand brake. Rear drums are more than enough to lock up the rears. They will need constant adjusting though.

2/3/6/ are more for a good road truck and not so much for strictly drifting.

6) of course a disk brake upgrade would be required on all 4 corners ($1000+)

A grand+ for all four corners if you are spending a grand+ for breaks should goto a salvage yard get all 4 off a Toyota 4runner front brakes and make brackets only cost about 500 to go that route and you'd have 4 pots all 4 corners