Oil from ze tailpipe [Solved]

EdwardK

Exactly as the title says.

When I first crank the 620 up I get a fine mist of oil spray coming out of my straight pipes. Once the engine has idled for about five minutes or so she stops.

Also worth noting, the oil spray is greater on cold mornings and the smoking less when it's cold. Vise versa for warm weather.

Runs fine, smokes (of course), and uses about a quart of oil every other week or so.

I know I have a stripped out headstud and a leak in the head there, but I'm wondering if maybe my rings are going too? Any ways to easily check this stuff?

And how serious of a problem would you guys consider this? This is currently my only driver, so I'm working on getting the 610 patched up so I can have something to drive when I go to fix this one.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be fuel as well.

White smoke = coolant
Blue smoke = oil

Black smoke = fuel

As Mike said valve seals would let oil past on startup if they are bad. A quart of oil a week seems to be excessive to me though, so you may have rings going out.

• Like 1

Is it oil? or just carbon mixed with condensed water vapor?

Could be just bad oil seals on the valves. These are easy enough to replace without taking the motor apart.

Could be fuel as well.

White smoke = coolant

Blue smoke = oil

Black smoke = fuel

As Mike said valve seals would let oil past on startup if they are bad. A quart of oil a week seems to be excessive to me though, so you may have rings going out.

It's oil. [Edit: Nope! Mike's right it's carbon buildup mixed with water I believe. It has no lubridity what-so-ever. It's just black and makes everything on the ground behind my truck ugly in the morning. lol]

I replaced my valve seals about two months ago and I smoke a hell of a lot less now than then. I also use less oil, but it's still excessive, yes.

So you guys don't think it could be related to the stripped head stud? (I mean, I don't want it to be related to that. But, yah know... I'd rather that be the problem than the rings.)

Oil smoke is serious. It pollutes and is illegal. But it won't hurt reliability. Will run for years like that.

Based on the symptoms you listed, it is caused by the head not the rings. Valve seals are broken along with maybe worn valve guides.

That... Depends on where you live. lol

And like I said I replaced the valve seals... Though, I haven't touched the guides...