A87 peanut efi head questions

710waggy

I picked up a 74 710 wagon and a ton of parts the other day and after inspecting both of the heads I noticed one is an A87 peanut head which looks to be an efi head (educated guess due to shap of intake ports). I am curious if I can run a carb intake on this head? It is drilled for a cab manifold and the gasket looks as if it would seal off the injector ports but a difenitive answer would be nicer than wasting a bunch of time and gaskets.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EFI heads have notches at the top of all 4 intake ports, and an extra threaded hole between the "normal" intake manifold bolt holes.  It will have all the existing bolt holes that a carb manifold would have, as the heads start out from the same casting and machine work, then are modified for EFI.

Yes you can.  I ran this head on a L-18, for many years.

FIHead_zps4f249753.jpg

The holes for intake manifold water passages were not drilled out before I used the head on a carb engine.  I used a stock 521 Hitachi carb.  the A87 head you have probably has bigger valves than a stock L-16 or 18 engine.

Do you still have the FI intake manifold?  Would you be interested in selling the manifold?

Thanks for the information everyone I do not have the efi manifold I do however have the stock open port head, a new boxed set of rocker arms, nos brake master and booster, gasket set, timing set, nos fender and the car is straight with a complete undamaged interior. I picked it all up for 600 bucks. There are a bunch of other parts but this really isn't the place for that. I am going to take pictures and start a thread when I get some time.

• Like 1