Clutch ya b!tch be fore i snatch that sheeeeeeeet

jrock4224

so heres the deal ...71 521 with 85 720 shorttail 5 sp...... l20 from a 78 620 smog truck........so I am gonna get a new clutch cuz the one I have when I installed the pressure plate and fiber it preloaded the tines...... im so pissed I didn't notice that when it happened on install....I tried to figure out why it was preloading the pressure plate but I was mix and matching fibers and plates so it was kinda like slush box fest at tristins project ... I had swiched things so many times I couldn't remember what was og and what combos I made so now im looking at new clutch's.....well I called my parts bitch and was like 78 620 l20 clutch please ...... she says wow its like 340 as a kit or 75 a piece as separate pieces I was like say what ... I paid like 80 bucks max for the last one in my goon... so is there a preferred clutch I should be looking for for the l20 since asking for the clutch off the motor im using seems legit, but seems over priced...

any help on the preloading issue would be great too ...... im using the flywheel off the motor when I got it ...in fact its the pressure plate too but I swapped the fiber to begin with and it preloaded the plate....tried others but it didn't seem to help .......fucking pulled the motor back out when I was almost done on that end too ...... fuck me ...

1. pressure plate issues

2. good base line clutch for a l20

• Like 1
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"when I installed the pressure plate and fiber it preloaded the tines" sounds like (maybe) you might have the wrong length throw out bearing sleeve (the thing the TO bearing is pressed onto that the clutch fork moves back and forth). The TO sleeve must match the pressure plate height of the clutch you are using. So if your PP is for a '78 620, you need a sleeve the right height for that PP. If you are using the sleeve that came with the '85 tranny, it might not be right for your PP. And a new clutch still won't work.

Could be a hydraulic problem or something, but make sure about the TO sleeve first thing.

Len

Now that new clutch is in and not right lentron sounds like th right path ....... It's still not right .......... The only things that have changed is the clutch and pressure plate and fly wheel ....... Te arm finally engages the clutch but there's maybe 3/8 a inch or less throw available before the clutch fork hits the bell housing ......... At this point we kinda have narrowed it down to the clutch for or throwout pedestal

So Lenny think I should go grab the clutch fork and throw out off the 620........ I know

Using the 720 one now .......the fly wheel is the stock one and the clutch is a 200sx l20 clutch...... I compared that clutch to all the clutch I have for l20 and there the same but for a few cosmetic differences

Man Im confused!!!!!!!!!!

Like this what you said, Using the 720 one now .......the fly wheel is the stock one and the clutch is a 200sx l20 clutch.720 is a truck so it shoulkd be a 225mm flywheel. and or Pressureplate ,disc set up.

200sx is a 200mm flywheel and set up.

if you ordered a 78 620 l20 clutch please , then its a 225mm set up and hope you have the T/O collar for the 78 truck. as the new kit will have the bearing.

since you have a 85 trans I assume you got a ealier bell houseing so the trans dont tip to the pass side.

also for the clutch forks I used the stock 510/521 trans fork and use the 510/521 threaded rod as the later style ones are shorter. I would think you used the 521 fork anyways as youll use the 521 slave and threaded rod. Its more adjustable I think.

importrp.com has Exedy kits also around 100$

the 300 $ ones will be a Datsun 620 225mm Exedy stage 1 kit

I bought a exedy 06004 225mm clutch ....... I think its in the collar ... im using the 521 clutch arm and maybe the throw out ..... I bought the shorttail 720 and cant remember if I got the 720 t/o or not but if I did I would have used it ......the clutch says its for many vehicles including a 200sx I thought but could be wrong and am going off google ..... its the kit adam kinked above...so yeah it seems like the through out need to be closer to the clutch which I would think would mean the collar of the throw out is wrong... I pressed the bearing on it last night that came with the kit as it looked identical tot he one on the truck that I had just replaced but since I had a new one I sued it .......I know there's different height t/o collars gonna go see if the 620 I pulled it off still has the throw out in the 4 sp....and compare to the one I have .....the easiest way to expain th condition .. is when the clutch throughout is touching the tines the clutch fork arm is almost touching one side of the window it protrudes through.....has probably 3/8 more travel to use for clutch ... the rest of my rigs have the clutch arm nearly centered.......so I know its not right ......I think with the l16 I had it wasnt as noticeable and was useable,  but the pedal felt different then other 521 I drove....so im thinking and hoping is the t/o collar...

I should have posted these links last night:

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=13336&ppuser=263

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=13332&title=throw-out-bearing-sleeve-dimensions-&cat=3479

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=6980&title=225mm-and-240mm-clutch-t-2fo-bearing-sleeve-specs&cat=3129

You can measure the TO sleeve you have and compare it to the one for the new clutch pressure plate you bought. I have a feeling it will be different, but life always surprises me.

Len

• Like 1

len your on my short lit of hero's now ..... d mike and hainz take the two top spots but u definitely in the top 5..........I remember  pics of varying t/o last night when I was throwing hand wrenches at the wall in frustration ...im gonna go check the parts truck I got today ...cross your fingers

• Like 1

ok so by interpreting off the charts my l16 t/o is prolly 38.5 mm and the one I need is 52.5.......14mm difference....... little over 1/2inch.....hopefully through articulation on the arm, then translates to more throw then a 1/2" on the clutch arm......pretty sure after looking I am running the l16 collar in my truck now

Good to know the links helped some. If you haven't already done it, you might measure the height of new pressure plate and be sure it matches up with the chart. In this modern world, I don't trust new parts out of the box to necessarily be the right thing.

I might know just a little bit about clutches, but you notice I didn't try to tell you which length sleeve you need. That involves way too much thinking, and I'd probably end up being wrong anyway. When I swapped the dogleg into my 510 and the clutch worked right, I figured it was dumb luck as much as me figuring which sleeve to use.

Someone posted on here awhile back that they got a new TO sleeve from Nissan, if you can't find a used one easily. Don't know the cost of a new one though.

If you have another wrench throwing episode, please do a vid and post! We might all learn some new techniques. lol.

Len

• Like 1

the vid of me fishing them out of the sheet rock with my magnet is far more interesting ...........fishing your 14mm open end out of the bottom of a wall with a hole 4' off the gorund results in a lot of fuck me's and goddammnitz.......ultimately leading to me putting my foot through the base of the wall to retrieve my wrench...luckily im working at a friends shop so its not my wall I have to repair.....just sayin

• Like 1

So you have a 38.5 mm and think you need a 52.5 what kinda play do you have between slave and arm if you put slave on without rod ?? Or is that the 3/8inch your talking about?

I read ealrier posts as the throw out is to close ( preload tines)  to pressure plate but later posts would seem to say it's to far away ( blew out slave) ... :confused:  But that was my interpretation