i need custom tubed rear bumper (620) ideas...

Dawa

calling all artists, fabricators, etc

im looking to replace my larger, bulky, tubed rear bumper 

with something... sleeker, simpler, yet just as strong. 

now before any of you say "just remove/uninstall/drop it" etc, i will not

its already my rear more than once in slow speed collisions. 

now im sure it wouldnt save the rear in a highway speed collision, but if that ever happens

the truck will be totaled and ill get money to buy a new truck. 

anyways, here are some examples of what i have 

tumblr_m7c614rOaX1qe7x6po2_500.jpg

tumblr_medtknQqTn1qe7x6po1_500.jpg

tumblr_me4b80ROQY1qe7x6po1_500.jpg

as for some design ideas, im thinking of just a one piece, smaller OD pipe...

maybe i can get away with this by using a thicker gauge pipe? (idk im not an engineer...)

i will eventually run a 1 piece roll panel (example:)

0807mt_08_z+1979_datsun_620+left_side_vi

havent figured out what to do with the license plate, il have to relocate it else where

^ isnt an option, i would not make it too far without being pulled over...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so pretty much it would look similar to this

topview.jpg

V C Section 5201 Positioning of Plates

5201.  (a) License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and so that the characters are upright and display from left to right, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground, except as follows:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5201.htm

now that i think about it, as long as i keep it above 12" its all good. 

oh and eventually im going to get it plated in brass, if practical. if not, chromed/chrome pipe. 

so pretty much it would look similar to this

topview.jpg

V C Section 5201 Positioning of Plates

5201.  (a) License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and so that the characters are upright and display from left to right, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground, except as follows:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5201.htm

now that i think about it, as long as i keep it above 12" its all good. 

oh and eventually im going to get it plated in brass, if practical. if not, chromed/chrome pipe. 

Dale your in Hawaii now with the truck right so what is Hawaii's vehicle code.Why not make a strong type of roll pan with the lights and plate incorporated in to the roll pan/bumper.Roll pan's were made to take the place of a bumper.

No, no, no... you must never cut into the body for a mere license plate. It will look like a failed attempt at a 70s Mini Truck.  :lol: 

Make up a roll pan for between the lights and mount the plate there.

I agree, relocated and frenched license plate/antennea/tail lights etc.is the worst of the 70's-80's style

I like mine down under the truck with a dim light. Makes it harder for the fuzz to see it clearly

why not just run a roll pans and build a impact bumper behind the 1 pc roll pan?

good suggestion!

its just a personal preference for me. i would like to run an.... "exterior bumper"

fair enough. have you look at bumpers off other older truck and cars often times it easy to modify one to suit your needs. ive seen people use the 60s-70s firebird rear bumpers with great success on these little mini trucks. its very thin and sleek but still retains your buffer zone. 

tumblr_medtknQqTn1qe7x6po1_500.jpg

Reduce it to one tube by removing the lower outer tubes and move it closer to the body ?

Even if you were to keep it, moving it closer and adding a cross support would help if you actually towed with it.

The length of the mounts to the frame look scary wobbly.

^ good idea. i could hack away at this one somewhat. i agree that the bumper is pretty far spaced away from the truck.

and i wouldnt be towing anything though so no problem there.