any tips for a head & gasket replace on a 84 ?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who said the head gasket blew ... And i asked for tips not mechanics lesson...

Over to you Bill...

just seeing if anyone had any miracle cure to the head gasket issues these have

The Z24 was known for blowing head gaskets at 100K. This was from the normal disparity of heat expansion of aluminum head and steel block de-laminating the gasket and made worse by poor.... maybe I'm straying over into a mechanic's lesson, so I'll stop here.

The preventative cure was described in the '84 Nissan FSM. The head bolts should be loosened fully and immediately torqued to 60 ft. lbs. The bolts MUST only be done one at a time and the motor MUST be cold. It was suggested the head bolts be re-torqued at every tune up.

Burnt valve is usually from too little or no valve clearance. Valves tent to sink into the head as they wear and clearances should be checked every tune up.

Post up a pic. If it melted a hole in the combustion chamber, it is probably from leaning out. Most likely not related to the valve.

The exhaust valves only time it doesn't have hot exhaust blasting past it , is when it is on the seat. That is its cool down time. the tighter the lash, the shorter the time.

Speed reading...got me.oops.Sorry to disappoint Mike.Back to topic,still more issues than engine speed.

:)

What came first, chicken or the egg? Valve clearance is tight or non existent, valve overheats and burns, seat collapses hole burns through head.

The head hole is usual.  The gasket between 3 and 4 gives out, the exhaust gases swap in those cylinders and in no short order it melts an escape path.  Have a head shop weld it up and plane it, good as new usually.  Your local NAPA can get you a new set of head bolts, use them.  Chase all the block holes with a tap first before reassembly.

Actually, I've seen a bunch up here.  Stripped down models, usually only the 2 door early Pathys.  They still have the H190 in the rear too.  And get this, I started looking for Pathfinders recently, I've already found 3 2wd ones up here in Spokane/CDA.  Yes, that's right, 2wd Pathfinder.  I can't imagine why anyone would get a 2wd pathy, but apparently some did.  I was actually thinking about getting one of those and putting my truck body on it for autocrossing.  Thought about autocrossing the 2wd Pathy too, but all the extra doors and hatch make for too much weight.

The hole in the head is in the top of the head? Or on the gasket surface or in the combustion chamber?

Doubtful a cam lobe could hit the head. Are all the valves in tact? Any keepers or retainers missing off the the valve springs?

Does the hole look burnt or made by flame?