Thepspack's 521

Thepspack

The first thing I'm going to attempt on my truck it repairing the wing window seals.  The seals on my truck aren't too bad, pretty dry, a few cracks.  However on the drivers side, half of the interior upper section is missing.  I'm going to try rebuilding the section out of RTV.  Wish me luck!!

View through the seal.

10236241564_c8a27cfa27_b.jpg

I cleaned the rubber with rubbing alcohol, masked the window with some foil, then used some oil on the foil to keep the RTV from adhering to the masking.  Once the area was prepped I laid a bead in the gap from the outside and smoothed it with a Popsicle stick.  I wanted to get some RTV in there from the outside so that I don't have to rely on the interior lip only to seal the window.
10236257164_4b50b85608_b.jpg

I did the same on the interior seal.  Laid a bead in the gap, then smoothed it with a Popsicle stick.
10236355785_2f8cf20bf4_b.jpg

I then ran a thicker bead on the frame to form the inside lip.  I had to channel my inner baker and lay the bead like I was icing a cake.
(Sorry for the picture quality, I need a real camera.)
10236425173_5c6601d2db_b.jpg

I also prepped the passenger side seal the same way and filled a split.
10236338116_c950ca51f2_b.jpg

10236245084_fdd72cdc11_b.jpg

After the RTV drys for a few days I'll trim the excess with a razor blade, then try to sand into the final shape.  Hopefully this works, if not it will be better than the wind and rain coming right in.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job, hope it works for you, new wing window seals/gaskets are expensive when they show up.

If you cannot get it to work with a functioning wing window, just silicone it shut, I never open mine, but I live in the PNW, I have a rear slider window, and I open the air vent above the heater box, that gets a good flow going.

Dude i got both sides vent windows,there not perfect but in way better condition then what you got there,pay for shipping and give me 10.00 bucks for some in-n-out and there yours. But i wont be able to send them out until next week after the 21st.let me know.I just switched the ones on my red truck with some really good ones i bought,but the ones that came off are in not bad condition there are no holes just some dry ness thats all.

• Like 1

Dude i got both sides vent windows,there not perfect but in way better condition then what you got there,pay for shipping and give me 10.00 bucks for some in-n-out and there yours. But i wont be able to send them out until next week after the 21st.let me know.I just switched the ones on my red truck with some really good ones i bought,but the ones that came off are in not bad condition there are no holes just some dry ness thats all.

Yer on!  I already have your paypal address, let me know how much to send.

talked to the dude that sell datsun weatherstripping today, socaldatsun something, he says they are staring to make some of those small window triangular ones and will have them pretty soon brand new, 300 bucks if i remember right for both

Yea I remember reading that while I was scouring the forums, I also read that it was to expensive for the tooling vs demand.  I hope its true, but I'm not holding my breath.

Had an uneasy feeling about that guy when I saw that he had been banned.  

On another note, has anyone tried to restore dried and stiff rubber with wintergreen oil?  People use it to restore the rubber intake manifolds for old CB750's.  They're like the wing seals on these 521's, made out of unobitanium.  I was thinking I might try it on this set that I'm about to get (thanks mrbigtanker).  

Here's a post covering it.  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=29707.0  

Manifold boots on these Hondas are very thick, so maybe a lighter or shorter soaking in the wintergreen solution would do the trick for some wing window seals.

I found these today on ebay in Australia, and have contacted the company, he says they are on back order, but is expecting a hundred sets in a couple weeks, so we will see.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DATSUN-NISSAN-1300-1500-520-521-PICK-UP-UTE-SEDAN-DOOR-VENT-WINDOW-VENT-RUBBER-/141086115008?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d96344c0&_uhb=1

Man, that would be great.  Lets hope we can get them, that they fit, and last longer than a few months.

Man, that would be great.  Lets hope we can get them, that they fit, and last longer than a few months.

I am going to buy a set just to see what they look like, I have a NOS set to compare them to, I am hoping that nothing is interesting about the re-pops, well except for how good they look that is.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Little update for some things I've gotten done on the truck. For starters I picked it up from the upholstery shop today.

10682753494_66e3daf33b_b.jpg

10682944153_bfec9aba6f_b.jpg

Got all the parts and pieces for my steering wheel.

10682756134_9538392d6b_b.jpg

Found a better looking tach and mounted it a cup so I could get it on my column.

10682756936_46628028fd_b.jpg

I've got a spare dash and dash pad that I'm working on, and once I get the rest of the widow rubbers I'll replace all that stuff.  Got to find some black seats belts too.