510 flare question

datsunfreak

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But nowhere does it say the specific years...

Really? That's what you're going to hang your hat on?  :rofl:

Somehow everyone on this forum seems to understand that the "510/1600" section is specifically for the 68-73 510s. Everyone, that is, except the owners of A10s. I really don't get it...

Please don't get the wrong idea. I love A10s. I've owned 3 already and would buy another one tomorrow. But they are a different chassis that shares almost zero parts with a P(L)510. And including them in this section only serves to confuse people. Case in point, saying "ZG flares fit a 510 great!", then showing a photo of them on an A10. That is not germane to the conversation at hand, or this forum section in general.

• Like 1

I understand where you are coming from.... but when my badges literaly say "datsun 510" i couldnt give a fuck less that its different. i havmt seen very many wagons with flares so thats the main reason i felt like sharing. sorry that us a10 owners like to try to contribute to the 510 section. ill make sure to stay out of this area of the forum cause your cars are better. this is like the third time i have been told not to post in these threads for such a crap reason.

• Like 1

No one said they are better... Just different. Everywhere else in the world they are Stanzas.

Your wagon looks fine, but when people are lookin for flares on a 68-73 510 (obviously), then A10 photos don't help.

It's like asking a question about a Z and someone posts about their 350z.

I understand where you are coming from.... but when my badges literaly say "datsun 510" i couldnt give a fuck less that its different. i havmt seen very many wagons with flares so thats the main reason i felt like sharing. sorry that us a10 owners like to try to contribute to the 510 section. ill make sure to stay out of this area of the forum cause your cars are better. this is like the third time i have been told not to post in these threads for such a crap reason.

Finally! Thank you ^^^^ lol :D I kid I kid

Very few people 'get' why the rear fenderwells are lower and flatter in shape than the fronts. Designers used to understand this. BMW still does.

If you put a big, round-opening flare on the back of a 510, it ruins the tension. It takes a design that used to look like it was accelerating and makes it look like it's standing still...if not going backward.

And even if you get the shape right, if the opening is too high up, it'll take your lowered car and make it look like it's back on stock springs. Blecch.

If you put a big, round-opening flare on the back of a 510, it ruins the tension. It takes a design that used to look like it was accelerating and makes it look like it's standing still...if not going backward.

And even if you get the shape right, if the opening is too high up, it'll take your lowered car and make it look like it's back on stock springs. Blecch.

I totally agree. Which is why I don't care for most of the flares on the market now. They all seem to raise the rear fender opening too high. 

No one said they are better... Just different. Everywhere else in the world they are Stanzas.

Your wagon looks fine, but when people are lookin for flares on a 68-73 510 (obviously), then A10 photos don't help.

It's like asking a question about a Z and someone posts about their 350z.

Or it's like putting up a photo of a Z in this thread with ZG flares. Both just as (ir)relevant...

They look similar for sure but the shape and ends look just a little off.  Any more oics of that 1200 from a different angle? 

I found a few other cars with the flares in question on the fuckyeahdatsun tumblr.

tumblr_mvnt86Hhor1ru0p67o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mv5m5ajMzO1sje9qmo1_500.jpg

My interest was piqued by the tough shape and most importantly the twin bolts at the top of the rear fender.  Made for 4 doors :)  Must. Find. Supplier.