l16 head on l20 block???

BlackBird620

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a 72 510 head the car might be getting scrapped so he can get a 73 620 that belonged to his great grandfather and I was wondering if it would be worth it to save the few good parts not to worried about having it refitted with bigger valves for I know a few machinists around the area that aren't rediculous on price for that kind of work of course they would be shocked to find that I'm only bringing them 1 head not 2 lots of drag cars built around here. Also would there be any benefits of putting the l20 cam on the l16 head as opposed to keeping the l16 cam

A stock closed chamber L16 210 head will up the L20B's compression to 9.23. I did this back in the late 70s but gas was better. It ran fine in my L20B swapped 521 while the L20B head was out being planed. Only drove it a week or so.

Probably give good low mid range economy but lack above 4K sooner.

The stock L20B cam is almost identical to the L16SSS cam with way more lift.

OK I'm not sure if my l20 had a stock can guy I got the truck from claimed to have had a custom cam ground for it, it did have a bit more lope than a stock l20 so I can't really say for sure if it had a cam or if it was from how the timing was set. I will more than likely get the head resurfaced and ported along with the bigger valves

Well not really thinking about putting it in a car, rather making a yard buggy with the block and trany I have at the house. Just really searching my options want it to sound mean but not be crazy will only be used in parades and at salvage yards when getting the heavier parts motors, tranys, axles, ect.

• Like 1