Where to get quality 620 parts?

GOLSETH

88aeea4d.jpg

I've done several searches and can't seem to come up with any solid answers.  There are a ton of parts on ebay but it is hard to distinguish between cheap replica parts, good quality aftermarket parts, and even harder to justify the price on some OEM parts (though you always get what you pay for).  My Datsun is about to go under the knife for a complete respray but she needs a lot of miscellaneous pieces for a complete restore.  I'm looking for OEM quality or the closest thing available.  Specifically:

Does anyone sell a complete suspension bushing kit?

Where can I find a grill with beauty rings?

Where is the best place to get all new weather stripping (windshield, rear window, door window, and window squeegees)?

What are some decent taillight and front turn signal lenses?

What aftermarket struts do you recommend (running 3" blocks/front all the way down)?

Where can I get an OEM like new front bumper?

I understand a lot of these questions can be answered with, "keep your eye out on:  craigslist, ebay, ratsun FS threads," but I was wondering if there were any websites that are trust worthy and have quality parts.  I'm looking for a huge list of random parts but the ones listed above are goods apparently made from unobtainium.  Any site(s) you recommend that have 620 parts for sale, I'm sure they'll have several items I need.  Thank you all in advance for your assistance and I look forward to your opinions/input!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rock auto had most of your bushing needs and bumpers i think.  JC whitney has bumpers that cost more, I bought one and it's seems like it's pretty good.  If you want kingpin rebuild kits I'm not sure...

I had to salvage the grill/headlight rings 1 at a time at the wrecking yard(s).

I haven't tried the thailand or singapore plastic and rubber parts from Ebay but I will be soon.  Even if they are cheap and wear quickly they cost so much less than NOS or US product most of the time that you can buy 3 of everything.  I've heard good reports about the hood bumpers from Singapore so that's something I guess.  I plan to order all the side window rubber, the hood bumpers, the gas door bumpers and so on.

Also Energy Suspension has stuff for later 620s and if you measure what you need I bet you could find Poly stuff in their catalog that would fit your needs.

shock recommendations are all over the place.  I haven't chosen anything yet, I'm about as low or lower than you are.  I'll probably be doing an air adjustable shock in back and Monroe sensa-trac in front, but only after I raise the upper shock mounts a couple inches.  If you don't raise the shock mounts people say to use Pinto shocks but that isn't a perfect solution, or so I'm told.

Also check out Nissanparts.cc it's actually a dealership in Olympia WA but they can get quite a bit of NOS stuff it seems.

Try Nissan but I think they no longer care or even try.  Sad. Other than that any replacement part made in Japan is good. Some US made is still ok but often outsourced and imported. Anything from ES Asia is suspect as is on line.

Body and trim parts are best hunted down from wrecking yards. If you have unbroken side marker and front/back turn signals and tail lights you can recondition them by carefully using jeweler's rouge and a buffing wheel.

Don't care for polly, rubber is better all round. The 620 does not have struts but does have shock absorbers.

My suspension isn't done but so far:

Front is simply turned one notch and adjusted out approx 1" at the adjuster screw.

I'm waiting for Nismo HD torsion bars to beef up the front a bit. I currently hit bump stops a little to fast for my liking.

And I added energy suspension low profile bump stops for now.

Once I have the torsions in I may add the Monroe coil over shocks depending howits driving. And possibly move the bump stop. But that's all to be seen.

I'm also going to be switching to front disc brakes from a '69 620 and that will give me an extra 2"+ of track width which will then allow me to be slightly lower with the bump stop clearance, or to crank up the torsions a hair for more clearance on the stops while maintaining the current height. It's a small amount but its something I guess. It will also give the lower control arm a little more leverage on the torsion which is why the coil over shocks are tbd but more likely down the road.

Rear, I did it kinda wrong financially but I'm happy with the result. I used the stock leaf pack but had it de-arched a little and had a new main/top leaf made with flipped ends to give a little drop. Then I added 3" blocks to get it down where I wanted it. The new springs have poly bushings. I haven't done shocks yet but I think they'll be air adjustable in case I need to carry more load than the stock springs will absorb, again pre bump stop. I cut about 3" off the rear bumps and I'm looking for a shorter replacement that will bolt onto the stock holes.

The "right" cheap way involves 720 springs and maybe pulling a leaf maybe but I was in a rush and I wanted to run the shortest blocks I could so I'd have had to make a new top leaf either way (to flip the ends) and the firmer leaf pack carries things better.

I'm sleepy, I hope that all made sense. I was reasoning some of it out as I typed. I'd probably be better off switching the front to coil overs but I want to stick to torsions for some reason yet to be discovered.

From experience I can recommend these guys in NY:

http://classicgarage.com/

I got all the stuff to do a valve job including eight new valves, water pump, fuel pump, & all the filters. All the stuff was old stock Japanese manufacture. some boxes were even 'shelf tattered'.

Don't think they have much for body but a good listing of mechanical stuff, and it seems that they will go out and look for stuff they don't have.