Wiring S13 KA24DE into '79 510 HLA10. NO CAN/AM BOX - help?

mhub91

Hi, I just swapped an S13 KA24DE into my '79 510 (Stanza HLA10). 

I have the all stock wiring from the datsun, the oem engine harness from the S13, and a "24"  91-94 240sx M/T ECU.

I would like to wire the KA in with out the CAN/AM box. I dont want to spend the money on one, and I know it can be done with out it, But I want to be pointed in the right direction.

Now, I have only swapped S13 with SR's and KA's before so this is a little new to me. When swapping out S13's the only modification you need to make is to one of the dash harnesses right near the ECU plug. (i.e. sohc to dohc swap) 

Would I only need to modify that same dash plug to make the ka run in a datsun? Or......?

Thank you.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked that... But I can't make heads or tails of that wiring diagram. 

I too agree.

I'm grateful someone took the time to put this out there for everyone to go by, but it makes just about no sense.

After some studying and looking at other peoples setups I understood what was going on. 

Plus... I said WITHOUT can/am box. Those directions are specific towards the use of a can/am box.

I too agree.

I'm grateful someone took the time to put this out there for everyone to go by, but it makes just about no sense.

After some studying and looking at other peoples setups I understood what was going on.

See page 30 and 29 of the CANAM thread. Simplified the CANAM is just a very nice fused relay box, page 30 has pics of other relay and fuse setups with some wiring diagrams.

See page 30 and 29 of the CANAM thread. Simplified the CANAM is just a very nice fused relay box, page 30 has pics of other relay and fuse setups with some wiring diagrams.

Thank man, that's all i wanted.

• Like 1

If you are that set on wanting to wire it up as simple as a S13 swap, get a S13 complete harness and put that in your car,  then you will not need any learning anything new.  The stuff that is in the ''sr and ka into anything''  thread is not that impossible to learn. Just remember the computer needs the signal of key on,  key in cranking mode, and it sends the signal out to turn on the fuel pump, and coincidentally that's the 3 relays that you see in the set-up. Google how relays work, learn how there is basically a SIGNAL side and a WORK side of a relay, then the wiring in that thread wont be that ''scary'' to work with. Just to make sure you know, I was kidding with the first sentence. Also you don't need to know everything on that thread, just 75% since a lot of it is just same questions asked differently. I had seen that you are a tech, so i am sure you can learn this.

If you are that set on wanting to wire it up as simple as a S13 swap, get a S13 complete harness and put that in your car,  then you will not need any learning anything new. 

Lol. I wanted an easy set up.

C'mon man, it is three relays, if you do one per hour, its three hours. You just have to remember( or keep Google-ing) how a relay works as I said,  connect the wires you know the computer needs connected on post #8, a fuse for the each of the relays on the ''work side of the relay'' connections to keep the ''magic smoke''  from escaping from the wires......... LOL

Cam Am box would be EZER just slide the wires you need in and screw the terninals down. DONE.

its just cleaner for later trouble shooting.

But the 3 relays are ez also just look at the diagram hard part is hooking and splicing the wires to the relay as the CanAm has wire srew terminal to stick the wire in. here where it might be worth getting. As with the 3 relays its going to look tacky.Unless you make a terminal screw down terminal board of somekind. Buy the time you buy all this stuff your half way there to a Can Am box anyways.

the 3 relays.

+12volt batt, to fat red wire to a fuse box of your choosing. then it will power 3 fuses. then the 3 wires go to the 3 relays  to your terminal board for the circut you want power.  the 12volt ON wire will tun all 3 realys on with key switch. youll daisey chain this 12volt power to pin 85  to 1 2 and the 3rd relay. pin 86 is ground on all 3 . so you can daiisy chain that together or separate if you wish.

can use the starter wire by starter as start signal also or the Datsun Hot Start(bypass) wire also blk/blu wire OK skip this you have a 79 and it dont have this wire on the early point 510s do.

I agree, if u want the easiest, can-am box is the way to go.

it is definitely worth the cost for the compactness of it with being simple.

It is not that difficult to wire up if u do it your self though.

If it isn't your primary car, pinch the pennies and get it.

if u dont wanna spend that much its  just 3relays a mini fuse box and a little time.

Like with a car stereo, one wire, one circuit at a time.

Now I understand your confusion. Ignore the third column if u are not going to use the can am box.

The dotted big square is basically the computer.

The relays  that are to the left of that box is what the CAN-AM box is

(without the nice LED and nice circuitboard and nice fuseholder and nice box and nice screw-in connectors).

The CAN-AM box is worth the $130, it makes the wiring up a heck of a lot easier, especially for some one that knows the 8 or so main wires that needs to be hooked up (post#8).

I like the CAN-AM box myself and would use it if someone bought one for me, but my cheap self keeps me just doing it  with crimp connectors and the multi-relay holders from nissans at the junkyard.

Ta--daaaa........... Wooooo Hooo.... You got it, and it may help some other people out seeing it your way.

Your drawing is clean and clear.   I usually get the matching F8 and F9 connectors (with 6 extra inches for crimping) from the junkyard so if u need to unplug it, it disconnects in two bundled connectors.

Now that u understand this, if u look at a Factory style wiring diagram and follow F8 and F9 connectors you will see similarities, but dont let it distract you from the EASY diagram you just did.

• Like 1

Ta--daaaa........... Wooooo Hooo.... You got it, and it may help some other people out seeing it your way.

Your drawing is clean and clear.   I usually get the matching F8 and F9 connectors (with 6 extra inches for crimping) from the junkyard so if u need to unplug it, it disconnects in two bundled connectors.

Now that u understand this, if u look at a Factory style wiring diagram and follow F8 and F9 connectors you will see similarities, but dont let it distract you from the EASY diagram you just did.

I think i'm going to redo this diagram in photoshop and post it somewhere to help others. I may have came off like I didnt know how to wire it... but it's very easy. The damned original diagram was extremely confusing! I read the entire thread of "wire ka sr vg into anything" and many people were confused like I was.

Thank you!

• Like 1