1973 Green Weenie

GRpufnstuf

I do have Kingpins.

I bought Beebani's ball joint UCAs

They mount to the kingpin frame mounts and compensate for the frame mount's difference in angle and the LCA length difference.

I saw a thread recently that had pix of a 521 with all the disc front end mounted on modified stock UCAs as well.

Definitely more economical but I like how stout the Beebani parts are.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you recall the 521 thread I would like to see it. I'll hunt around, too. On my 320 I had Matt Stoffregen clip a 720 front end on the 320 frame  - sort of the ultimate fix;) There's a tread on this here:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/34698-320-balljoint-conversion

Anyway, with the plan you have in mind, will you end up with the same geometry as the 79 720? Only on your kingpin truck? Calling Beebani…

The Beebani UCA leaves the geometry pretty close to the kingpin setup. Not a lot of caster, but nice light steering as it is now. I'll know better when I get it all swapped.

With ball joints I should be able to add shims and get a little caster and camber thing going, I like to turn corners sometimes ;P

Yello620 made his own uppers on his VG swapped truck because he was looking for a lot more caster and doing some performance driving (as I understand it)

I've considered adding the disc shock towers and UCA mounts but haven't gotten so deep that I measured the frames to compare and all that yet.

That 521 thread eludes me. It was a comment on a post that I can't find.

Maybe someone remembers...

Red 521 flatbed with a cord of firewood on the back. Discussing how his disc UCAs and been swapped left to right and then lengthened 1/2" or so to get the camber working right?

When I had the '78 parts truck next to my '73 last week, I looked at the difference in upper shock/control arm towers.  Visually they looked near the same.  The ball joint tower was set at an angle in relation to the frame, versus the king pin which is parallel to the frame.  It looked like you could just cut the king pin tower off and weld on the ball joint tower, but you'd have to make sure you got everything lined up perfectly.....  It's not a project I wanted at this time even though, discs would be nice.

yay disk brakes!

im doing the same thing on mine too.. i got the parts from a HB/D21. vented rotor and a bigger 1 piston caliper.. 

i decided to make my own upper control arms from half of the stock kingpin arms and the end of a normal balljoint UCA. 

since you have the beebani arms could i ask a favor from you? could you measure the length from the middle of the crossbar to the center of the balljoint hole? itd help me figure out how long im gonna have to make mine.. 

When I had the '78 parts truck next to my '73 last week, I looked at the difference in upper shock/control arm towers.  Visually they looked near the same.  The ball joint tower was set at an angle in relation to the frame, versus the king pin which is parallel to the frame.  It looked like you could just cut the king pin tower off and weld on the ball joint tower, but you'd have to make sure you got everything lined up perfectly.....  It's not a project I wanted at this time even though, discs would be nice.

I've seen them side by each as well. I'd definitely want very precise measurements dimensional and angular. Plus just a double check on the frame rails and widths to feel sure of things.

I also wonder if the kingpin tower could be partially cut away and pivoted into the correct position.. Probably better to use the late model part and weld it on real nicey nice.

Both are projects I'll have to leave for more free time, and shop space (hopefully somewhere in my future)

yay disk brakes!

im doing the same thing on mine too.. i got the parts from a HB/D21. vented rotor and a bigger 1 piston caliper.. 

i decided to make my own upper control arms from half of the stock kingpin arms and the end of a normal balljoint UCA. 

since you have the beebani arms could i ask a favor from you? could you measure the length from the middle of the crossbar to the center of the balljoint hole? itd help me figure out how long im gonna have to make mine..

I will eventually have the D21 drop spindles I think. Just enjoying my 14" wheels and new tires for now.

I'll measure up those UCAs and let you know via PM. I don't want to be the guy giving away Beebani's tech all over the interwebs.

It also might be a good move to PM Yello620. He was kind enough to show me the jig he made for his upper arms. It was pretty cool with an adjustable piece for ball joint placement

• 3 weeks later...

Color code homework...

null_zpsedbc51cf.jpg

I we t to the paint store and had them put the color eye camera on it to get a custom match made up for my hood and fender replacement.

The results are pretty good...

Before

null_zps1a53478e.jpg

After

null_zpsf67260ac.jpg

I'm very excited to look out over a straight hood and fender.

Found it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

George, are you still on this board? LOL … Did you ever get the brakes, balljoints and tranny updates done? Or are you a proud poppa now with no time for the Datto??? Our local film activity has really picked up, as I imagine yours has. Regards, Eric

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8216747@N08/

can't remember your name but i bought your bench seat last year and wanted to show you a pic

Holy shit! I don't believe that's the ratty old bench frame I sold you!  nice work.

I need to see more pictures of that truck though!  Your description when we met didn't do it justice from the looks of the bed.

OK, mini update

Feb 1 2014: Moved from Eagle Rock to Pasadena, so far I don't love it. I lost my garage/work space and it's been really hot here.

March 7 2014: my pregnant wife delivered our baby girl. Her name is Oona and she's cute and stuff.

picture of me and baby (not the wife and baby or me and wife [sick-o's)

98109D20-6A27-4ACA-B07C-821265421A7E_zps

Somewhere in between those dates I delivered my truck and disc brake conversion parts to Sev at Sunrise Z in Glendale. He recently bought the place from Art and seems to be doing a good business in there.

He agreed to do my brakes once I had assured him it was for "off-road use only" nudge nudge, wink wink.

Partially done:

C10A6E21-D3A4-43D8-A4DD-AD7A50077726_zps

the paint on the UCA is awful, i had to rush it to get bushings in and delivered to Sev. it was one of the rainy days we had and it cracked (almost artistically.)

And that's about it. I have been pining to get back in my truck even though it's been nearly 100 degrees out there and there is no AC (for now). It's nearly done we just need to figure out what we're using for the rods to the front of the frame, and I lost one of the hard lines at the right cailper so I'm having that made since my bending flaring kit is buried in storage.

More soon!

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...