LZ23 long rod. What pistons

DARIN 510

So I'm in the process of build a lz23. And I have almost everything z22s block. Z22 crank. A87 open chamber and z20e 6 in rods. The problem I'm having is finding what piston to use. I've read that Jason grey shit already and that's a bunch contradicting info. Vg30 piston milled down 2 mm but rebello says it makes the piston too weak and tend to shatter? So he says custom pistons. But not trying to spend $600 on some pistons. Can anyone tell me anything. It would be a weight off my shoulders.

• Like 1
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cutting the tops will effectively raise the top ring closer to the combustion chamber and they will run hotter. I suppose trimming the tops would weaken the piston some but will... but for a street engine it would be fine. Rebello is more race/performance and so has to be cautious.

I would sell the 6" rods, bore to 89mm and get KA pistons for the Z22 or L20B rods. 2.3 (2288cc) motor with lots of compression.

Master-o-turbonics found that with an 86mm bore, forged Mahle pistons for I think a 4G62 or 4G63 (not sure) work perfectly with the Z20E rods. Might message him. Not sure exactly what he's got in my motor lol

Could you find out. I want for sure answers. I see a lot of biased info on ratsun. Not going to spend money on some pistons that just maybe will work. If that is so on the 4g63 we need more info. What year of Mitsubishi motors. if they are different. How much. Specs of the piston.

Could you find out. I want for sure answers. I see a lot of biased info on ratsun. Not going to spend money on some pistons that just maybe will work. If that is so on the 4g63 we need more info. What year of Mitsubishi motors. if they are different. How much. Specs of the piston.

Then ask him yourself and get the info straight from him.... http://community.ratsun.net/user/5275-master-o-turbonics/  (sorry MM doesn't mean your info isn't straight, just why should you have to do it)

• 3 weeks later...

Yah I got no response. So now what

You start doing your own math and your own homework.

What's your deck height? And stroke length? Piston diameter? Pin height? Do you know how tall of a ring pack you need for your custom engine? What's the chamber volume of YOUR A87 head? Are you going to bother getting it ported? (probably not, since a 400$ set of pistons is just too much)

What is the end goal here? You can make more power on a stock bottom end L20B with a ported head and a properly sized camshaft, than you can on a big-displacement bottom end with a stock head and cam...

For what it's worth...you need a set of 87mm pistons with a 29mm compression height and a 21mm pin. Good luck, check some motorcycles.

For what it's worth...you need a set of 87mm pistons with a 29mm compression height and a 21mm pin. Good luck, check some motorcycles.

Well as discussed, VG30 pistons with 2.7mm milled from the top outer edge would work but this does not make a 2.3 at all. Doesn't even make it all the way to 2.2. Hell might as well just keep it a stock Z22 with an L head.

Using 1mm oversize VG30 pistons help get it to 2.236 liters.

Cutting the tops will effectively raise the top ring closer to the combustion chamber and they will run hotter. I suppose trimming the tops would weaken the piston some but will... but for a street engine it would be fine. Rebello is more race/performance and so has to be cautious.

I would sell the 6" rods, bore to 89mm and get KA pistons for the Z22 or L20B rods. 2.3 (2288cc) motor with lots of compression.

You can also use 89mm Z24 pistons and open chamber L head for 8.4 compression... 8.8 with closed chamber.

NOTE: The Z22/L20B rod small ends will need to be narrowed to properly fit into the Z24 piston

If you plan on running cast pistons, your redline will be 6500, maybe 7000. Any more than that it might be short lived. Usually the skirts folding in or breaking.

I can assure you Z22/L20b rods will work just fine. I have used Cheap ass 89mm Silvolite 9115 std. pistons in my truck for 2 years. $167.00 from Summit. They are floating wrist pin style.

They have taken a horrible beating.  

Don't waste your time trying to achieve a rod ratio for a motor that cant spin. My .02 

48141912-SwiftToolETRace14andJr108-24-20

What's your deck height? And stroke length? Piston diameter? Pin height? Do you know how tall of a ring pack you need for your custom engine? What's the chamber volume of YOUR A87 head? Are you going to bother getting it ported? (probably not, since a 400$ set of pistons is just too much)

What is the end goal here? You can make more power on a stock bottom end L20B with a ported head and a properly sized camshaft, than you can on a big-displacement bottom end with a stock head and cam...

Yep got those specs already. Thanks for telling me again.Going 89mm bore. Motorcycle pistons. Never heard of a 87mm or bigger in a bike. Heard about a possible chevy piston. Still checking into that. No not $400. It's $600 for pistons that's what Dave said. Not trying to be hella cheap just not trying blow money. You know that's why you got into datsuns

Motorcycle pistons. Never heard of a 87mm or bigger in a bike. Heard about a possible chevy piston. Still checking into that. No not $400. It's $600 for pistons that's what Dave said. Not trying to be hella cheap just not trying blow money. You know that's why you got into datsuns

Japan-built strokers used Honda XL500 or FL500 pistons on L14 rods, or cheaper L24 rods and KA24 pistons. There are LOTS of motorcycle pistons out there in the range of 85 to 90mm, a lot of them are forged, and a lot of them use a 21mm pin. Most are high-compression designs, however.

Ross Racing Pistons will cut you a custom set for about 400$. Dave isn't the only source...he's reselling them and he'll make sure he makes his profit, just like any other reseller.

And no, I did not get into datsuns because they were cheap. I spend several thousand dollars a year in building datsun engines and transmissions for racing, and my 240Z is in my driveway because my dad had two and a half of them, and a little model car used to sit on his cabinet in the kitchen. Ever since I saw that model car, I wanted one of these, so I paid what I felt I needed to pay, and then I fixed what i felt I needed to fix.

Not all Datsuns are cheap...and to be honest, most datsuns AREN'T cheap.