Please help

Mont

I have a 83 720D king cab that I brought a month ago. the wiring was so jacked up. I found all of wiring that goes together and fixed them. Now  I have a red wire coming out of my fuse box feeding the seat belt chime that stays on constant(it was already like that). The truck will not start, I replaced the starter, ignition switch. I here a click from the fuse box when I try to start the truck. The Battery has a full charge and the connections are clean. I also went to get the original and new starter tested and they work. all lights work as well as the blower and wipers. any suggestions? 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you've got a connection loose or corroded somewhere. my z does the same thing, usually if I let it sit for a minute, take the keys out, stick em back in and try it again it'll work. might be as simple as rocking the car to get it going for the time being, might be as difficult as checking half your wires.

The  starter voltage was 12.44

What Dean was referring to is the start signal on the smaller Black/Red stripe wire on the starter. If not there or too low a voltage it won't work the starter solenoid. If there is no signal find out why.

Hello Everyone,

I checked my truck out this morning and found a isolated area. When I turn the switch I hear my blower relay click. The relay on the passenger side is good as well is the others. It's very nice to meet people on these forums who are really nice and have wide knowledge about their vehicles.

Hey Guys, I had to drift start my truck and it fired up. I let it run for 30min to get the fluids circulated. But I still have an issue with the ignition starting it up parked.

But I still have an issue with the ignition starting it up parked.

Did you do this....

What Dean was referring to is the start signal on the smaller Black/Red stripe wire on the starter. If not there or too low a voltage it won't work the starter solenoid. If there is no signal find out why.

I found that it was the neutral safety switch might be bad above the clutch pedal preventing it from starting. The part will be in Friday, and thanks for your help. I will keep in touch. Work schedule is getting ready to change again.

I have had the same issue with starting, and it has always been a bad connection at the battery post or starter, or weak voltage in the starter exciter wire, as I can always jump it at the starter with a screw driver without issues.

I looked at my clutch pedal, and it has a switch up there for two wires, but my 1982 diesel wiring harness doesn't seem to have a wire/wires for it, and it is a 1980 cab.

My wiring diagram hes something called a "sedime or" with a yellow wire, what is that "sedime or" electrical part, maybe there is a letter missing though?

I found that it was the neutral safety switch might be bad above the clutch pedal preventing it from starting. The part will be in Friday, and thanks for your help. I will keep in touch. Work schedule is getting ready to change again.

I checked and there is no starter interlock on standard transmissions. So, time to start checking things before you buy anything else.

Get a cheap meter or a $5 test lamp.

test_light.jpg

I purchased a test lamp, thanks. It is a manual tranny. That is right above the clutch pedal, It looks like spark plug but it has spring loaded button on the end of it. The book calls it a clutch switch (Haynes book) They are calling for rain today along with storms and won't be able to get back to it until Tuesday. Working this weekend 4-12am. Oh and I will check that black and red stripe wire to the starter. Thanks Guys

Yes a clutch switch for the emissions system. The 720 has a fuel shut off for high speed deceleration out on the highway. It only should work when in gear and clutch engaged. This switch disconnects this feature so it doesn't stall when you are shifting gears.

Now have someone turn the ignition switch to START and put your test lamp on the smaller Black/Red stripe wire on the starter. If it does not light up then there is no start signal coming from the key. 

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got my 720 running. There was a broken wire in the harness from the ignition switch to the starter causing the starter not to receive current. My mechanic put in a push button start. I push the clutch in, turn key to start and push the button. Now going to the next phase.