Brake question- Test drive feedback

I am new to you guys world and am looking for a 510 to play with. I searched and see most people swap to 280zx suspension. I test drove a 510 this week that the brakes were very weak. Is a well sorted factory brake system effective enough to stop a KA car? Seems like the build was solid for most of the car, but the brakes had me walk away to ponder buying it. I can upgrade brakes just trying to get an idea of how much of a money pit this will be.

Thanks

Phillip

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks I asked  because I was not doing any spirited driving, It just seemed weak. I thought it may be due for some new lines and a good bleeding.I feel if I tear out the factory I would want to have it stop as strongly as my other cars. I am looking at a 510 to autocross so if stock brakes are a bad Idea in that application then I know to look to upgrade.

Don't know what your other cars are to compare to the 510 you drove. It is equipped with what we assume are factory design brakes. Keep in mind the 510 does not have power brakes and will feel very different than most modern cars.

The 280zx upgrade will help with stopping power up front. Some sound brake lines and a good brake adjust will help as well. There are other mods like rear disc or power brakes that can help even more. The question would be how far are you willing to take this car?

Lots of info out there to be found with a search.

I would not pass on a car because of the brakes if the price was right.

Don't know what your other cars are to compare to the 510 you drove. It is equipped with what we assume are factory design brakes. Keep in mind the 510 does not have power brakes and will feel very different than most modern cars.

The 280zx upgrade will help with stopping power up front. Some sound brake lines and a good brake adjust will help as well. There are other mods like rear disc or power brakes that can help even more. The question would be how far are you willing to take this car?

Lots of info out there to be found with a search.

I would not pass on a car because of the brakes if the price was right.

Thanks. It did feel soft and braking distance seemed long. I do not own modern cars so I was comparing it to the early 70's porsches. I did search but I think you have pointed out that it probably has some room for bleeding and new soft lines components. I may go back Sunday and get it. The Ka Swap seemed to be solid and He has a ton of T3 suspension parts available to purchase.

This is one of the cars I compared it to.

1061242.jpg

Keep in mind the 510 does not have power brakes and will feel very different than most modern cars.

Actually some do. Look behind the master cylinder for the vacuum booster. Without it brakes are simply harder to use but will stop the same. Maybe it's just age but I find power brakes allow you to drive longer with less fatigue, specially in town driving.

The '68-'73 PL510s brakes were pretty good..... 40 years ago, so doubling your HP it would be very easy to out drive them. Tires have also come a long way in 4 decades too, and can better use a premium braking system.

A 510 will take as much money as you want to throw at it 

or as little as you need to 

zx brake upgrade is simple and reasonably cheap it gives you a 1 inch larger rotor with double disk surface that is vented between 

it was designed for a car that is around 3400 pounds and put on a car that is around 2200 pounds 

this is a significant upgrade 

good luck on purchase and post pics if you get it  

we are all pic whores 

A 510 will take as much money as you want to throw at it 

or as little as you need to 

zx brake upgrade is simple and reasonably cheap it gives you a 1 inch larger rotor with double disk surface that is vented between 

it was designed for a car that is around 3400 pounds and put on a car that is around 2200 pounds 

this is a significant upgrade 

good luck on purchase and post pics if you get it  

we are all pic whores 

Thanks I am still on the fence. I would like to get it and get to know it and what it needs but him having the T3 parts to sell along with it has the price near other cars I am more familiar with. It is neat, as for photo's this is the car, has a KA24DE in it and seemed pretty solid.

00808_cohjwNlvKTZ_600x450.jpg