Importing a classic vehicle into the US

I'm looking at importing a classic car from Canada in a few months. I know there's a lot of you guys in the Washington/Oregon area and I'm sure somebody has brought a car over. 

From my research, it looks like you have to get some paperwork from the EPA and/or DOT to clear the vehicle, and then give it to the border patrol to bring the car over. Any details? Government websites are really unclear on the subject.

Also, does the car have to be trailered? If it's running I'll probably just drive it over.

K thx

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'm wondering is what's to stop you from just driving it from Canada over the border? Don't people bring their cars over into the US when they're visiting from above?

The threat of impound and confiscation.

• Like 1

yeah if your driving your car here from canada its different than if your driving your car here and selling it from canada. I am not sure how different but it would have to go through customs and a bunch of other crap.

this is how people are getting all the Skylines into the US. drive them through Canada since their legal after 15 years up there, doesnt mean that their legal here once you drive them over, but people are doing it anyway.

thats why I asked what kind of car and how old it is, if its over 25 years, it doesnt matter, you can import whatever you want. BUT if its under 25 years you will hate your life to the extreme, even if its a car that is already here and you want a better or different version they offer only in another country, unless that country is Canada and the car is the same there as it is here, then its just some minor paperwork.

and also, that 25 year thing is exactly to the date from what I read. In other words, If I wanted to import a car right now, It had to be sold in this month of 25 years ago or prior.

our import restrictions are a bad joke to car enthusiasts, they are actually the most strict for cars in the entire world. except the Philippines where its illegal to drive a RHD car. but you can import them when they are brand new.

Not saying what car it is, going to be a secret haha until I get it. However, it is over 25 years old, or it will be as of next year. Waiting until February or so of 2014 to get it. Because of the exemption laws, it will be completely legal. I've talked to people that managed to sneak Skylines over the border, but it's impossible to fully register them and stuff so it's kind of pointless, except for the few who somehow manage to register them as rhd swapped s13 coupes. 

Either way, it's still going to be a pain in the ass, getting all the paperwork and either flying there and driving it back, or driving there and trailering it back.

Ya 89's are available here next year. If thats the car you mean it's no secret lol, there are many many people waiting to do the same. I expect r32's to get even more played out in the coming years and value to climb as demand will no doubt. There are already people bringing them over and stashing them. Once you can register them I expect to see an explosion of r32s around. 

I'm just going to wait though and let someone else do the dirty work. Just a new video game once the fuss is over with them prices will fall and deals will be had. 

You may very well mean another car lol I just felt like typing

• Like 1

There are actually loopholes around this stuff. Like if a car is considered a historic/rare vehicle (under 500 made) then you can import the car as long as it is (not sure on this) at least 15 years old or something like that. So that is how some guys got r32s in last year. They bought the gt-r nismo edition which only had 560produced. And Nissan desired to keep 60 of them in their heritage collection and race cars . so when filling for paperwork, the US only recognized 500 being road legal therefor it falls under a special category and qualifies it to be imported as a rare collectible car.

Just my two cents.

What my dad did with Art when he bought her. Its a pain, and if you forget one piece of paper, it can take a while to get shit done. You need to make sure to have all the paperwork you need, plus yoru states shit as well to fill out at the border and get signatures and shit. Its a pain and requires some $$$$$

Not saying what car it is, going to be a secret haha until I get it. However, it is over 25 years old, or it will be as of next year. Waiting until February or so of 2014 to get it. Because of the exemption laws, it will be completely legal. I've talked to people that managed to sneak Skylines over the border, but it's impossible to fully register them and stuff so it's kind of pointless, except for the few who somehow manage to register them as rhd swapped s13 coupes. 

Either way, it's still going to be a pain in the ass, getting all the paperwork and either flying there and driving it back, or driving there and trailering it back.

dude you just gave it, up and your not original    "not saying what car it is"    grow up

we all know its a skyline, and your welcomce for the info I gave you that will be very helpful, were not gonna steal ur skyline man jeez.

There are actually loopholes around this stuff. Like if a car is considered a historic/rare vehicle (under 500 made) then you can import the car as long as it is (not sure on this) at least 15 years old or something like that. So that is how some guys got r32s in last year. They bought the gt-r nismo edition which only had 560produced. And Nissan desired to keep 60 of them in their heritage collection and race cars . so when filling for paperwork, the US only recognized 500 being road legal therefor it falls under a special category and qualifies it to be imported as a rare collectible car.

Just my two cents.

that was Sean Morris, he used to work for Motorex, and it was 21 years for epa restrictions they had to get by. not 15.

just wait til next year, their about 8k in japan and a shipping container is around $3600, the paperwork will add another grand or so.,

better learn to speak japanese or call JDM legends in Utah though.

also if you dont get a february car when you do this, your gonna get denied, you would be better to wait til 2015 when ALL 1989 cars are available.

also if you even try this before that exact month of car is legal, well they will take it at the customs station from you, then it will be crushed. please be patient, theres been over 300-500 skylines crushed in this country because of stupid Americans trying to bring them over, and customs siezing them, and dont even get me started on Motorex.....If I ever see Hiro in the street.....its going down!!!!

dude you just gave it, up and your not original "not saying what car it is" grow up

we all know its a skyline, and your welcomce for the info I gave you that will be very helpful, were not gonna steal ur skyline man jeez.

that was Sean Morris, he used to work for Motorex, and it was 21 years for epa restrictions they had to get by. not 15.

just wait til next year, their about 8k in japan and a shipping container is around $3600, the paperwork will add another grand or so.,

better learn to speak japanese or call JDM legends in Utah though.

also if you dont get a february car when you do this, your gonna get denied, you would be better to wait til 2015 when ALL 1989 cars are available.

Sorry to get you all butthurt by asking my question. Trust me, that wasn't my intention at all. Figured anyone with half a brain could put two and two together and figure out I'm looking at Skylines, congratulations, you aren't a total retard.

I know everything that's gone down since Motorex, it's no secret how countless Skylines have been seized and confiscated due to illegal imports in the states. I happen to know where three Motorex cars are sitting right now, and the trouble the owners have gone through to get them in their garages and not even be able to drive them on the streets is ridiculous and not worth it.

Which is why I'm waiting until its completely LEGAL to import one, you guys are cool and I know people have done this with classic cars before. Thanks for the info guys, it's been helpful. Hopefully I can pick one up next year and actually enjoy it as it was meant to be enjoyed.

haha, I was only being a dick because I think the "im not telling" was stupid.

actually all motorex cars are legal, except two that the justice department never found.

those  are the only 2  Motorex cars that are illegal, and can be confiscated, and most skyline people say that they got exported to canada or south america somewhere. so either you know of the 2 stolen ones, and one is actually legal. or all three are legal and the owners dont realize it, or only one of them is illegal.

but wetween R32, R33 and R34 Motorex got around 100 cars in. 30ish 32s and 12ish 34s the rest were 33s but theres actually quite a few more 33s here.

also you can legally have an RI (registered importer) import you an R33 right now, no wait.