Any one on here knows how to change a rear main seal

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's the rear main seal your asking about;

Simply put:  Pull the engine, or, the trans.  Pull out old seal, drop the oil pan.  Pull off the rear main cap, replace the two straight seals, put rear cap back on (torque), put in new seal, replace pan gasket with a new one, put pan back on (torque), put engine or trans back in.

Here is a visual:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/35956-rear-main-support-loose/

Buy this tool so you can have a cool tool sitting in your tool box when your done.  I've got one, it worked great, but on the cheap side you can install it in other ways.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/49445-main-seal-installer/

If you buy a new Nissan rear main seal, it comes with the grease that Mike is talking about, already on.

The Nissan pan gasket is nice too.

Make sure you clean the surfaces with brake cleaner and a rag.  Cleanliness is your best friend when installing seals.  I clean my surfaces with brake cleaner and a rag until I the rag is clean when I wipe....

Datsunrider I think it's time you put all these questions in your build or project thread or start one.

Only one on here knows how to change a rear mean seal

What do other people think when they read something like this on our forum? This is trollish.

• Like 1

Datsunrider, hopefully you've found the answer to your question. 

On another note, you've given the insomniacs another place to post and have fun. 

I think you should take Mikes advice and just start a build Thread. 

I'd suggest just watching your spell check a little more closely.  No big deal though, this time.  I usually re-read my posts 1 or 2 times before I hit "Post"  just to make sure everything looks good.

Datsunrider, hopefully you've found the answer to your question. 

On another note, you've given the insomniacs another place to post and have fun. 

Yeah, like water and gremlins.

rearmainbearingseals004Large.jpg

These 'curtain seals?" have to go in the sides of the rear bearing cap. Red writing in bottom picture. Pan has to come off, cap unbolted and old ones removed. Degrease and small dab of RTV in corners. Bolt up cap and slide new seals up into sides of cap and pan gasket covers this.

Some side seals have a thin strip of metal. If you get these with your seals, install the rubber ones first and then slide the steel strip down behind them between bearing cap and the rubber seal. This forces the seal against the block for a tighter seal. Usually it's the round crakk seal that leaks not these side ones.

rearmainbearingsealsLarge.jpg

The round orange seal can be pulled out and a new one pushed in. Be sure to grease it so it does not tear or start up dry.

L1618pilotandrearseal.jpg

Or did you mean this mean seal...

ANGRY_GRAY_SEAL_by_lightrae.jpg

... or this "I ain't got time to bleed" mean seal...

Picture-3.png

Cause I ain't got time to change them.

If it's the rear main seal your asking about;

Simply put: Pull the engine, or, the trans. Pull out old seal, drop the oil pan. Pull off the rear main cap, replace the two straight seals, put rear cap back on (torque), put in new seal, replace pan gasket with a new one, put pan back on (torque), put engine or trans back in.

Here is a visual:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/35956-rear-main-support-loose/

Buy this tool so you can have a cool tool sitting in your tool box when your done. I've got one, it worked great, but on the cheap side you can install it in other ways.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/49445-main-seal-installer/

If you buy a new Nissan rear main seal, it comes with the grease that Mike is talking about, already on.

The Nissan pan gasket is nice too.

Make sure you clean the surfaces with brake cleaner and a rag. Cleanliness is your best friend when installing seals. I clean my surfaces with brake cleaner and a rag until I the rag is clean when I wipe....

I got my gasket at advance is that fine? Nissan doesn't have parts for my car. To pull the oil pan I have to pull the motor out as well? I'm just asking because the cross member is in the way?

Thanks for the visual and i'll buy that cool looking tool as well.

Yeah, like water and gremlins.

rearmainbearingseals004Large.jpg

These 'curtain seals?" have to go in the sides of the rear bearing cap. Red writing in bottom picture. Pan has to come off, cap unbolted and old ones removed. Degrease and small dab of RTV in corners. Bolt up cap and slide new seals up into sides of cap and pan gasket covers this.

Some side seals have a thin strip of metal. If you get these with your seals, install the rubber ones first and then slide the steel strip down behind them between bearing cap and the rubber seal. This forces the seal against the block for a tighter seal. Usually it's the round crakk seal that leaks not these side ones.

rearmainbearingsealsLarge.jpg

The round orange seal can be pulled out and a new one pushed in. Be sure to grease it so it does not tear or start up dry.

L1618pilotandrearseal.jpg

Or did you mean this mean seal...

ANGRY_GRAY_SEAL_by_lightrae.jpg

... or this "I ain't got time to bleed" mean seal...

Picture-3.png

Cause I ain't got time to change them.

Lol its the real seal I have to change lol..

All joke aside okay thank you DM will do, it should be fun and rewarding.

Datsunrider I think it's time you put all these questions in your build or project thread or start one.

Only one on here knows how to change a rear mean seal

What do other people think when they read something like this on our forum? This is trollish.

Okay any thing for Ratsun

I got my gasket at advance is that fine? Nissan doesn't have parts for my car. To pull the oil pan I have to pull the motor out as well? I'm just asking because the cross member is in the way?

Thanks for the visual and i'll buy that cool looking tool as well.

You know... I've never had the need to pull the pan off in the car.  Go ahead and pull the engine and leave the trans, and you will be fine.