Vehicle Purchase Question

I am a beginner among beginners as the 71 goon I just purchased will be the first vehicle in my name. And here's my situation: license and insurance is in Illinois, I go to school in New Hampshire, I'm out in California for the summer, I bought a car in Oregon. Plates are good for two years and I have a dated bill of sale.

I have looked on the internet for an answer to this question, and maybe I'm not searching for the right thing, but maybe one of you can help out. Is there a legally "correct" state for me to get the car registered in my name?

Cheers,

Eric

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You want to register the car in the State that your permanent home of record is in. It should be the current address thats associated to your license. You usually have a set number of days to register the car with no added fees. Then at a certain point a late fee is applied daily up to a certain total fee. Some states will give you unlimited time if you bought out of state and need to register it in a different one. 

In Washington you have 15 days to register a vehicle after purchase. After 15 days its like $25/day up to $100 total or something. I passed that by a good amount, but since I bought in Oregon and was titling in Washington, the fee was waived. 

If your license and insurance is in Illinois, I would register and title the car there. Could be tricky though since you may not be back there. I would check with both Illinois and New Hampshire about their time requirements for registering. I wouldnt want to be driving around an unregistered vehicle though and a lot of places require you to do it in person the first time. 

If you go into a Cali DMV they should point you in the right direction

• Like 1

Your driver's license is in Illinois.  That's your permanent home of record, right?  You have a valid address there? Then license the car in Illinois.  If Illinois is not your permanent Home of Record, you need to change your driver's license to whatever State that is, and that's the State you license the car in.

Some States allow you to register a car there without having that State's driver's license if you're there under temporary residency (usually Military, I don't know about College) but not all do. 

Most police departments go by the rule of three.  What State are you in?  What State is the car registered in?  What State is your driver's license from?  If 2 out of the three are in the same State's name, you are good to go, otherwise a ticket for unregistered vehicle.  This may well be a "common practice" as opposed to any State's law, but it seems to work out that way.  Good luck.

Most police departments go by the rule of three.  What State are you in?  What State is the car registered in?  What State is your driver's license from?  If 2 out of the three are in the same State's name, you are good to go, otherwise a ticket for unregistered vehicle.  This may well be a "common practice" as opposed to any State's law, but it seems to work out that way.  Good luck.

I am in California.

Car is registered in Oregon.

Driver's License is from Illinois.

Whoops. Luckily my mommy is willing to stand in line at the DMV and title the car for me and send me plates. Shit I have it good

legal residence, do not try and ask ca dmv, they may try and get you to  register it there.

If you move to colorado you have 45 or 90 days to get a license and register your car here. unless you are going to school or are in the military then you keep your permanent state of residence license and registration.

Will Illinois allow you to do that? Some states require the owner to be present for registration and title transfer. Make sure your mom doesnt waste her time standing in line... 

Yeah I just need to fill out the power of attorney form or wahtever it is. Thanks for thinking about that, though. Definitely would be worth looking in to if they guy on the phone today hadn't mentioned it.

Oh so youre going that route? Having filled out plenty of power of attorney forms, make sure that you limit what power you give your mom. I know shes your mom and all, but still... its your car. Also, make sure that you revoke privileges as soon as possible as well. Ive probably done power of attorney near 20 times. 

Oh so youre going that route? Having filled out plenty of power of attorney forms, make sure that you limit what power you give your mom. I know shes your mom and all, but still... its your car. Also, make sure that you revoke privileges as soon as possible as well. Ive probably done power of attorney near 20 times. 

Illinois is one step ahead of you. They have a form specifically for people titling other people's cars. It expires right after the deed is done. I wonder how many people got fucked in the past for them to provide this form.

Thats awesome. Ive never had to do exactly what youre doing so Ive never used a pre-filled out form. Cool that there is one though. 

Glad you got this shit taken care of. Welcome to the 510 club. 

PS. Have you not posted pictures of your car? I cant believe no one has asked for pictures yet. We should have asked that before answering your questions.