New Member, 86 720

Justin Berni

Im a new member, i was actually on here like 6 months ago when i almost bought a 620, but ended up not getting it, but now im back and i just got an 86 720, its the base model from what i can tell from comparing to my friends 86, he has wood on his dash, and a center console. I have a few questions, what should i do first to the truck as far as tune up?? it has over 200 thousand miles, so what should i do to make sure it will last longer? i plan on lowering it but not until i tune it up and make sure it runs good. Also, if i go to pick and pull and get a center console from a 720 will it bolt right in?? And how do i post a picture of my truck?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, I too have an '86 720. Still a base model but I'm still working on adding all the options.

For tune up I bought NGK spark plugs and ignition wires. New cap and rotor. I would change the oil too because you never know when's the last time it was changed. Or change all the fluids. How does it run?

As far as the center console goes. There's 2 different kinds. There's one with 2 pockets and one with 1 pocket. I thought they were all the same and bought a 2 pocket one. Didn't fit. I would do some measuring first. Also, I got mine from an automatic so that's probably why it didn't fit. I think this has been discussed before but I'm not sure.

And lastly, there's a "How To: Post pictures" in the How To section.

I created a photobucket account. Uploaded all my pics. I click on a pic and there's link options on the right. I click direct img. Once it says copied I go to the forum and hit the IMG or IMAGE when posting. Paste your picture link there and your picture will show up in your text. Works for me.

EDIT : Welcome to Ratsun...............now post pics so we can see that beauty! Haha

Im a new member, i was actually on here like 6 months ago when i almost bought a 620, but ended up not getting it, but now im back and i just got an 86 720, its the base model from what i can tell from comparing to my friends 86, he has wood on his dash, and a center console. I have a few questions, what should i do first to the truck as far as tune up?? it has over 200 thousand miles, so what should i do to make sure it will last longer? i plan on lowering it but not until i tune it up and make sure it runs good. Also, if i go to pick and pull and get a center console from a 720 will it bolt right in?? And how do i post a picture of my truck?

You have a regular cab or a kingcab?

Z24s have a reputation of blowing the head gaskets every 100K so when the motor is cold, re-torque the head bolts. To do this remove the valve cover and loosen each head bolt ONE AT A  TIME and tighten directly to 60 ft. lbs. You do not need to do this in any particular order but it is important to do them individually. 

Warm the motor up and check/set the valve lash to 0.012" for both sides.

Change the transmission oil. Use two liters (4.25 US qts.) of GL-4 80w90 weight. Do NOT use GL-5 no matter what they tell you. GL-4 is very difficult to find these days so second best is anything that says 'Yellow Metal Safe' or 'Compatible With Copper Alloys'. The drain bung is on the bottom and has a magnet on it to collect ferrous metal particles. A black past is normal, wipe it off so you have something to judge at the next change. The fill bung is half way up the side. I use 3 feet of old garden hose stuck down the side of the transmission from the engine compartment and a dollar store kitchen funnel in the end. When oil dribbles out the hole it's full. Good for 30K

Drain and re-fill the differential the same as the transmission except use GL-5 90w oil or equivalent. About 1.25 liters (2.6 US qts.) Good for 30K

Drain and refill the cooling system with distilled water and a good quality anti freeze/coolant. About 10.3 liters total with heater. (10.75 US qts.) Good for 3 -5 years.

• Like 2

oh cool thanks i went there and after looking at the stuff in there and looking at my truck i have located everything and i am pretty much set on the information i need to lower it, but do you have any idea how low i can go with just cranking down the torsion bars without having to re index them??

Go to photobucket, create an account for free

upload pictures (you'll have to read how)

Then copy the image link on the right and paste into here

And hurry up, we get cranky around here without pictures =)

You may have to support the front and remove the torsion bar and turn it one or two splines and put back in if you run out of adjustment threads. You can also cut some of the rubber bump stop but by then you are so low the ride suspension is basically your tires and the shocks are doing almost nothing. Makes for a bouncy ride. I wouldn't go that far for looks alone.

Nice, I too have an '86 720. Still a base model but I'm still working on adding all the options.

For tune up I bought NGK spark plugs and ignition wires. New cap and rotor. I would change the oil too because you never know when's the last time it was changed. Or change all the fluids. How does it run?

As far as the center console goes. There's 2 different kinds. There's one with 2 pockets and one with 1 pocket. I thought they were all the same and bought a 2 pocket one. Didn't fit. I would do some measuring first. Also, I got mine from an automatic so that's probably why it didn't fit. I think this has been discussed before but I'm not sure.

And lastly, there's a "How To: Post pictures" in the How To section.

I created a photobucket account. Uploaded all my pics. I click on a pic and there's link options on the right. I click direct img. Once it says copied I go to the forum and hit the IMG or IMAGE when posting. Paste your picture link there and your picture will show up in your text. Works for me.

EDIT : Welcome to Ratsun...............now post pics so we can see that beauty! Haha

Are you gonna try and convert to power steering? cuz the uprgaded package or whatever the hell you wanna call it has power steering and i was thinking about it.

I will convert later on because I don't need it right now. It's a good option to have though.

And when I bought mine my glove box was stuck close also. The knob turned but didn't engage the hook down all the way. So I just turned the knob as far as I could and wedge a flat head between the dash and glove box and pryed it open. Messed up my dash but its already cracked so.