Datsun resurection

Idk, I might be late with this, but if it is gonna happen, that new Datsun is ugly.

Good thing is it will be a budget car basically. But underpowered.

Here are a few reads I found.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-08/nissan-goes-back-to-future-with-datsun-in-emerging-markets-cars.html

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1085142_new-datsun-budget-car-revealed-in-sketches-eastern-markets-only

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He maybe late, but the articles he linked to are current. Those a re both new to me, as is the composite sketch. Plus, they will be unveiling the new Datsun this month in India. That's interesting as well. We will finally see a real world model.

the said link... w/d new design

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/41015-possible-datsun-name-revival/page-3

Honestly, I don't think its a bad design. I mean for $5k....it could be worse.

This

new-datsun-subcompact-unveiled-in-india-

is better than this

2013-Chevrolet-Sonic-hatchback-front-sid

& how much do you think this Chevrolet is?

....is also better than this

nissan.versa-hatchback.jpg

Goodness. That Versa is fucking ugly.

Honestly, I don't think its a bad design. I mean for $5k....it could be worse.

This is my exact feelings.  The US seems to be the only country that hates these micro cars. This body style is everywhere overseas and seem to be whats the market majority. 

I can understand that the design will be hated here, but this isnt a car thats coming here... so theres no reason to manipulate the design to appeal to a US market. 

I can understand that the design will be hated here, but this isnt a car thats coming here... so theres no reason to manipulate the design to appeal to a US market. 

Not unless you want to sell them here!  Marketing 101.  My 411 wasn't popular in the USA until the race modified RL411 started winning surprise finish positions in "Production Sedan" road races, and this was a gap filler until the 510SSS was produced and legalized for SCAA races.  The designers and builders always seem to neglect the desires of the buying public and persist in turning out what "looks nice" on their PC screens.  In my case "Duane", the lead mechanic on the Datsun USA race team persisted along with the drivers who wanted an interim race car that would not embarass them until the 510SSS was "legal" , and in production, and figured out how to re-engineer the roadster 1600 engine [and the fender etc.] to cram a 1600 cc engine into the then only production Datsun sedan and  gain some road track experience without totally embarasing the Datsun brand.  Forunately, they also found out that Austin had worked out a compatible Automatic Transmission fit with the British arm of Borg Warner!  Solved the "why can't I buy this cute car so that my wife can drive it" question asked by the then few American and Canadian husbands who dragged their wives into the then hard to find Datsun dealer's lot.  I don't think you will find a mid 60s Japanese car with an automatic transmission that hasn't shit at least it's "rubber band" transmission [yes, I'm referring to the unfortunate Toyota clone of the inadequate GM 2 speed Powerglide transmission, Toyota DID'NT get it right]  Toyoglide transmission from the 60s don't cut it.  My British Borg Warner transmission [the original I might add] continues to soldier on!

i dont think micro cars are generally hated here.  i believe it has more to do with the people that tend to hate small cars have the largest megaphone. 

My wife's friends had a quote on my RL411 when my wife first drove it.  " Small car. Big engine!  Big brakes. Big horn!"  My wife learned to drive in the dead of winter on a very narrow road on the Northern cliff of the Missouri River gorge in the dead of winter in Great Falls Montana.  She's a far better driver than almost any Southern California driver!  If this car can survive my wife and our 3 kids that learned to drive in it and used it to take their driver's test it's a damned fine car!

i dont think micro cars are generally hated here.  i believe it has more to do with the people that tend to hate small cars have the largest megaphone. 

I dont think that at all. Look how long its taken for the micro to really exist here... there are probably less than 5 models here in the states and none of them have really wide appeal. Everything in America is rooted in "bigger is better" (except technology). Its only been the last couple years where this generation has started to embrace cars like the new Fiat. 

Foreign markets a flooded with tiny cars. It all stems from their tiny roads where larger cars wont fit, but its now a part of their culture it seems. Micro cars are the thing overseas.