Why so many ka24's?

You CAN run a weber (make a manifold) you CAN run an older magneticly triggered distributor (requires more custom built parts).

You can also go and buy a $35000 dollar dohc head for an L series. Or buy an $800 ka and get the same effect with the reliability of efi.

My ka 510 has had two issues with the efi EVER, the first was a fault 40 year old switch that came in the car new and the other was a low idle in the hot cycle, just a turn of a screw fixed it. The engine has been in the car and rinning without issue for 7+ years, id say thats pretty damn reliable

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

aditionally does your carb tell you whats wrong when you have a problem? cause my EFI does, even if its not in the efi system.

and if you like the parts the car came with, why dont you have EFI?

and you seriously should have shpped around for injectors, 231 sounds astronomical, my new honda injectors are like 60 each new.

and i never said that Nissan's EFI was good, frankly its absolutely terrible. I am talking about generalized EFI, mainly standalone.

you never said they were better, and neither did I, I pointed out the specific scenarios where they both have advantages.

i said they were more accurate, more reliable, and make more power, not better, unfortunately any way you slice it, those are facts not opinions.

Ok whatever, ill leave you guys to continue discussing fuel injection and such i just wanting to see what peoples reasons for using the ka24 was.

im biting my tongue but please quit comparing honda parts to datto/nissan they are not the same, they will never be the same, there is 12,000,000 ric...i mean drivers driving honda hatchbacks thats why the injectors are $61, rockauto is the cheapest for parts if they say $231 its only going to get worse from there.

Im unsubbing from my thread as it has derailed and burned. Good Day sir.

Ok whatever, ill leave you guys to boasting about the gospel of efi, i just wanting to see what peoples reasons for using the ka24 was.

im biting my tongue but please quit comparing honda parts to datto/nissan they are not the same, they will never be the same, there is 12,000,000 ricers driving honda hatchbacks thats why the injectors are $61, rockauto is the cheapest for parts if they say $231 its only going to get worse from there.

Im unsubbing from my thread as its lost its way. Good Day.

there are not very many people that are running K series Hondas, and NOBODY has had to replace the injectors, it has nothing to do with how many people have them 231 is just too expensive for an injector, RC Dynamics injectors dont even cost that and they flow 1000cc

and please dont refer to all honda drivers en mass as ricers, I see and experience just as much if not more idiocy with Nissan tuning

Anyways in an attempt to get my now crashed and burning thread back on the road.

there is precisely 2 hardbodies in a junkyard not far from here, i ignored them because there were alot newer than mine (other than snagging the bucket seats out of one for $35)

That must be a ka24 in the 97' hardbody sitting then, i thought it was a z24 at first but noticed the valve cover was different. The other truck is a king cab it seemed to be sporting a ka24 also.

but im also willing to bet this scrap yard would want top dollar for them (they wanted $40.00 for a grille you can brand new for $18 on rockauto)

Actually, that price is quite accurate for the dribbler style TBI injector.  I just checked, my cost at NAPA is actually more than that.  Generally though, those can be rebuilt as they are large bodies.  But you have to find someone who can do it.  There are one or two places here that clean injectors for $80 per 4 injectors.  I've never torn apart a dribbler TBI injector though, not sure of the internals.  Should just be a solenoid, I know there are some gaskets.  A TBI tune-up kit is about $60 and still available.

But yes, in that case, I would have done the same as you and gone carb for a Z24.  If you had a KA with multiport fuel injection, then injectors would have been around the same cost as Honda, just a little bit more.

Look at it this way... the L20B (and 5-speed)  that came with my '73 620 was an upgrade from the L16.

It was pretty badass for what it was and I had  some fun with it, buuuuut... KA24DE is just better all around and reliable, for me anyway and it's still Nissan.

I draw the line with putting stuff like 350 V-8's and stuff like that in either my 620 or my 240Z (for which I have an RB staged)... I say if you want that, just stick with American muscle cars. 

Just be glad we're keeping the Datsuns on the road .

• Like 1

Look at it this way... the L20B (and 5-speed)  that came with my '73 620 was an upgrade from the L16.

It was pretty badass for what it was and I had  some fun with it, buuuuut... KA24DE is just better all around and reliable, for me anyway and it's still Nissan.

I draw the line with putting stuff like 350 V-8's and stuff like that in either my 620 or my 240Z (for which I have an RB staged)... I say if you want that, just stick with American muscle cars. 

Just be glad we're keeping the Datsuns on the road .

yeah i hear ya, i guess the point of the thread was my concern that perfectly good working engines were getting put into early retirement. If your engine is blown or shot whats the point in keeping it.

to be honest if i got a truck with a 4 speed i would keep as such till the 4 speed became unrepairable or the parts are too expensive (which would again explain people going straight to the 5 speed transmissions). But i can see how having a 4 speed truck would be undesirable also. So really as long as your happy with your truck it doesnt matter you bought it to do as you see fit.

also as for my having a ka, if i did have one i would a still go carb because i like having parts that can be repaired by me, the only stuff i let other people do on my truck is stuff thats just beyond me like front end alignment (which i still havent done yet, i just left it as is)

I also let the tire place put my tires on simply because the tires were the same price whether i order online and pry them off myself or just let them do it.

I can see this thread isnt going to go beyond bashing back and forth over carbs and efi, I said carbs suck (which is my way of forfeiting the debate i didnt want to have), ive pointed out their flaws on my own threads, im not a hippie i just like to use the parts the truck came with because well...erm thats why i bought the truck was to ummm keep it, i just happen to like carbs, im sorry i mentioned my truck having a carb and perhaps im sorry for opening a project thread which is more like opening pandora's box apparently.

I never said they were better. Not. One. Time. But i did say they work and do their job well and they are cheaper to keep around than an efi setup.

The injectors for my truck are $231 ea plus shipping, i possibly needed two of them plus a maf sensor, it seemed logical to go to carb and forfeit all that grief.

I like carbs, you like efi, agree to disagree. Good day sir.

I know your new and probably haven't seen it yet, but....

Joe built a KA24E with a carb and points...for next to nothing.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/3811-my-77-kingcab-620-ka-swap-running/

I got steel guides on my E, not aluminum. 

If you have to ask why...I say why not. :)

I know your new and probably haven't seen it yet, but....

Joe built a KA24E with a carb and points...for next to nothing.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/3811-my-77-kingcab-620-ka-swap-running/

I got steel guides on my E, not aluminum. 

If you have to ask why...I say why not. :)

thanks for that thread, ill have to have a lookie at that. might come in handy someday. If i can do that to a ka then it would be a valid option if the z24 ever became totally dead and unfixable.

Im building a carbureted GTR R35, its gonna be sooooo sick cause Ill be able to repair it!!!!!!!!

(cause I am unable to plug an OBD scanner into something..........I digress)

the trick is you dont need a scanner to fix a vehicle, the world did it fine without them from 1910 till 1984, likewise i timed my truck by ear (never done it before, but i know good timing when i hear it). Sad part was i bought a timing gun but never used it.

You CAN run a weber (make a manifold) you CAN run an older magneticly triggered distributor (requires more custom built parts).

What custom built parts would that be? I bought an '84 720 Z24 motor, and when I removed it from the truck the flywheel said '89 D21 NISSAN in wrecker paint on it. Still had the Z24i O2 sensor in the manifold. So it's an '89 Z24i with '84 distributor and intake/carb. Nothing needs to be custom built to make a Z24i work with a magnetic EI dizzy and carb.

What custom built parts would that be? I bought an '84 720 Z24 motor, and when I removed it from the truck the flywheel said '89 D21 NISSAN in wrecker paint on it. So it's an '89 Z24i with '84 distributor and intake/carb. Nothing needs to be custom built to make a Z24i work with a magnetic EI dizzy and carb.

mike he meant putting a z24 dist on ka24. it may work may not, since i dont plan on going to a ka unless im forced into it.

edit: that thread might be useful though

dont anger the architect, secretly i think datzenmike is really from japan, about 40 years older than he says and was the man who designed the datsun truck.

That or he really _really_ loves datsuns. lol

You could hold up a random nut or bolt and he could tell you the exact geographic location of said nut in the truck give or take a 1/4".

• Like 1

mike he meant putting a z24 dist on ka24. it may work may not, since i dont plan on going to a ka unless im forced into it.

edit: that thread might be useful though

No wonder I didn't get it. 8 plug onto 4 plug motor? An L20B EI dizzy fits by drilling and taping a hole for the hold down bolt.

I love people who do KA/SR swaps because I'm practically given their L series motor. I have 6 spare L series motors for parts and what not, and given a chance to use my dwell meter. Swap on guys, I love L series. B)

I love people who do KA/SR swaps because I'm practically given their L series motor. I have 6 spare L series motors for parts and what not, and given a chance to use my dwell meter. Swap on guys, I love L series. B)

Yep made that mistake with my L24 out of the Z... didn't realize what I had at the time... just basically let the guy have it for pulling it out (along with bullshit unfulfilled promises of bringing me a core support and a few other parts that I needed :poop:  )    

Wisened up and got a decent price for the L20b,  but not nearly what had been put into the motor.  Oh well hopefully everyone ends up happy most of the time with the deals they make.