Finally got a 521! *work underway 8/14*

Steve521

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trust me, I'd love to but I don't, as you already know, have the right flywheel or clutch from what I understand and quite honestly, I don't have the money right now to buy a new clutch setup and possibly not even a flywheel but that depends.  I'll bring the engine hoist back to you whenever you want it in as good or better condition than when I picked it up from you but I don't expect to get to hold on to it as long as it takes me to get the flywheel and clutch.  I already took the pan and pickup tube off the L16 and figured I would inspect the L20 tomorrow while I have the hoist and put the right pan on it. ;-)

OK, I found a 225mm flywheel, disc and clutch cover that I will never use, I use 240mm on everything, the only thing I worry about is what collar goes with this setup, I could figure it out if the engine and transmission were out of the truck so I could test fit them, but it is to big of a hassle to do it while the tranny is in the truck, and I don't have any 521 4 speeds around here.

I am not positive that this flywheel will fit the L20b, but it is a 6 bolt, so it is likely for an L20b, but I don't have one out to test fit.

I do have a supposedly running L16 that I bought for the dual SUs on it, the guy said it ran when he pulled it.

OK, I found a 225mm flywheel, disc and clutch cover that I will never use, I use 240mm on everything, the only thing I worry about is what collar goes with this setup, I could figure it out if the engine and transmission were out of the truck so I could test fit them, but it is to big of a hassle to do it while the tranny is in the truck, and I don't have any 521 4 speeds around here.

I am not positive that this flywheel will fit the L20b, but it is a 6 bolt, so it is likely for an L20b, but I don't have one out to test fit.

I do have a supposedly running L16 that I bought for the dual SUs on it, the guy said it ran when he pulled it.

Not sure how to reply to this other than thanks for checking and any help is appreciated and if I have something to give in return (help / parts / reasonable amount of money), I'd be glad to.  If I need to I'll gladly pull out my transmission ... wouldn't mind looking it over and cleaning it up anyway.  As far as the L16 goes, I think I'll probably just go ahead and wait to put the L20B in even if I have to rent a cherry picker later.  I'm wanting to get the truck running for sure but if I have to wait for a "short" time to get the right parts then I will.  Should I bring the L20B and trans to you to look at sometime or what do you think I should do in this case of the flywheel?

Not sure how to reply to this other than thanks for checking and any help is appreciated and if I have something to give in return (help / parts / reasonable amount of money), I'd be glad to.  If I need to I'll gladly pull out my transmission ... wouldn't mind looking it over and cleaning it up anyway.  As far as the L16 goes, I think I'll probably just go ahead and wait to put the L20B in even if I have to rent a cherry picker later.  I'm wanting to get the truck running for sure but if I have to wait for a "short" time to get the right parts then I will.  Should I bring the L20B and trans to you to look at sometime or what do you think I should do in this case of the flywheel?

You can have the flywheel/disc/clutch if you want them, I will never use them, I use 240mm stuff except for the diesels, which this flywheel will not fit.

If you want to give me something for them, give me equal weight in scrap metal, as that is all it is to me, we would have to figure out which throw out bearing collar goes with this setup, I have several, I just don't know which one goes with these parts.

I still don't know for sure this is an L20b flywheel, but it looks like one.

The setup is used, it has been in a dry place for years likely.

I am going golfing tomorrow, I will likely be done and home by 2pm, if you are going to be home, call me and I will make a trip over there with the flywheel to see if it will fit.

• Like 1

Sounds good Wayne and I'll gladly give you what you want.  I may not refuse handouts but I don't expect things for free either.  Do you think I should just remove the tranny then so you can look at it closer tomorrow. ?  I will be home in the afternoon and evening so I'll call.  thanks

Sounds good Wayne and I'll gladly give you what you want.  I may not refuse handouts but I don't expect things for free either.  Do you think I should just remove the tranny then so you can look at it closer tomorrow. ?  I will be home in the afternoon and evening so I'll call.  thanks

To figure out which collar goes with this setup, the flywheel/cliutch cover will need to be on the engine, then the collars need to be put in the tranny one at a time then the tranny bolted up to the engine, if the clutch arm is not in the correct position, then it needs to be taken apart and another collar put in till we find the correct collar, unless someone on here knows the dimensions/height of the correct collar for the 225mm disc/clutch cover, your 200mm flywheel/clutch cover collar on your tranny right now will not work.

Do you see now why the transmission needs to be out, testing which collar is the right one with the tranny in the truck is basically installing the engine and hoping it works, as if it don't work, then the engine needs to be pulled back out, what a pain that would be.

Call me after 2pm, I should be home by then.

• Like 1

OK, that sounds good Wayne.  I'm gonna push hard to go out there and get my trans. out even if I have all 3 kids home today ... lol!  I will give you a call hopefully by 3pm at the latest.  God it feels good to be getting things done on 'lil blue!  Thanks so much Wayne again, I will be there for you if you need help as time allows.

Update with pics ... transmission is out so Wayne and I can get the collar and flywheel issue figured out tomorrow.  much thanks for his help because I don't know crap about it. ;-)

All went alright except of the horizontal trans mount bracket to cross member bolts stripped out and it took some serious prying to get it to finally twist out.  Anyway, the only pic I need to describe is the full right side view of the truck ... took one of those TERRIBLE looking mirrors off.  Driver's side is next so when I get ready to drive it, I'm gonna need to line up a or some classic looking mirror(s) (not doing fender mounted ones).  Sorry about some of the pics being a bit blurry.  I decided to just do the Trans R&R job outside since there's an engine hoist and tools all over in the garage. ;-)  After tomorrow, the truck will go back inside into hopefully a bit more organized garage.

IMG_20140828_140231995_HDR_zps9575141f.j

IMG_20140828_140245914_zps5a374b7e.jpg

IMG_20140828_140309935_HDR_zps5e0639fd.j

IMG_20140828_140552120_zps74ab31b3.jpg

IMG_20140828_140602379_zpsca32f284.jpg

IMG_20140828_140613030_zps562e64f4.jpg

IMG_20140828_140630621_zps09ca0409.jpg

IMG_20140828_140638070_HDR_zpsc4c2ed76.j

IMG_20140828_140746628_HDR_zps2351f5df.j

IMG_20140828_161746256_zps6b5f6daf.jpg

IMG_20140828_161757504_HDR_zps056cf9a6.j

IMG_20140828_172452760_zpsa819939d.jpg

IMG_20140828_172519832_zps5b1a9c52.jpg

IMG_20140828_172548249_zps6b8caeed.jpg

You are making good progress on this truck!   Keep it up.

Thanks ... just doing what I can when I can.

Which bolts stripped out, is the tranny mount bracket still good?

Hey, I have them mirrors on my truck, don't throw them away. 

The one that stripped out is the driver's side horizontal one and I believe the mount bracket is fine.  I'll probably just have to replace the bolt and somehow get a nut on the other end of it.  As far as the mirrors go, I just don't like them for what I want but I don't throw away something that I think someone might want. ;-)  I would have took them off sooner but I was afraid to leave holes in the door so I just took the one side off at the brackets.

Love the Blue just buff it out and roll it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paint wheels white and hubcaps

I do have different plans for the truck in the long run but I might do that temporarily.  I will be lowering it soon (not slammed) after it's running and driving safely but am most definitely, as soon as I can afford it, going to get some rims and tires with deep offset.  I'll post a pic of one I saw recently in a fairly local CL ad that has the stance and rim offset that I want.  Not necessarily the rim itself but the offset, tire size and stance is definitely what will be on my truck someday.  I just might just do what you said though until I can afford the rims/tires I want. 

Update:  Wayne was so kind to come over yesterday and after some figuring out and muscling with the trans., We got the engine and trans. bolted together with the right flywheel and 225 mm clutch set.  I will be buying a new clutch to put in it but all looks good for mock up and there's plenty of throw on the clutch fork.  Some pics below.

I have a couple of questions if anyone could help with Datsun experience ...

1st)  Will a two piece L16 flywheel shield (with lower removable inspection plate) work on this L20B and factory 4 speed setup?  It seems to fit but want to be sure.

2nd)  I know how to look up a clutch kit by application (used to be a service writer) but all I know about this one is that it's a 225mm set up.  Any suggestions on where to get a good but affordable clutch kit?   Next step get the L16 oil pan on the L20.  I will do that this week and take a peak at the inners of the new engine. ;-)

IMG_20140829_143801865_zpsd5bcb155.jpg

IMG_20140829_143819002_zps2f9d7299.jpg

IMG_20140829_163609947_zpsb81ec10c.jpg

IMG_20140829_163632509_zps2a229d36.jpg

IMG_20140829_163650340_zps278ad869.jpg

#1,

You need a plate of some type between the engine and transmisson.   The stock 521/L16 is two parts, the plate between the two, and the inspection cover.  The inspection cover should still bolt to the transmission, that was not changed.   The L-16 plate should fit between the L-20-B engine and the stock 521 transmission.  You have the engine and transmission out, try it.

I am a fan of using OEM parts in Datsuns.  You generally will find the highest quality that way.

Talk to Andrea at Gladstone Nissan.  Tell her you are on Ratsun.Community.Net, they have given a discount to Ratsun members.

If a 1978 620 uses a 225 MM flywheel, I would start with ordering that.

#1,

You need a plate of some type between the engine and transmisson.   The stock 521/L16 is two parts, the plate between the two, and the inspection cover.  The inspection cover should still bolt to the transmission, that was not changed.   The L-16 plate should fit between the L-20-B engine and the stock 521 transmission.  You have the engine and transmission out, try it.

I am a fan of using OEM parts in Datsuns.  You generally will find the highest quality that way.

Talk to Andrea at Gladstone Nissan.  Tell her you are on Ratsun.Community.Net, they have given a discount to Ratsun members.

If a 1978 620 uses a 225 MM flywheel, I would start with ordering that.

Thanks Dan,

The plate is in between and does fit and it looked like the other piece would fit too.  Wayne just wasn't absolutely sure if it would work and you know that if he's not sure, I'm DEFINITELY not sure ... lol

I will talk to them, thanks, but I seriously doubt I'm going to be able to afford a dealer clutch.  What's funny about you saying '78 620 is that I was taking a shot in the dark when looking it up and that's exactly what year truck I tried to get an example part from. ;-)

The plate fit in there fine, and it looks like the bottom plate would mount also, the only thing I wondered about was the thickness of the L16 plate compared to the L20b plate, as you know the clutch throw out bearing collar is a fairly precise part, it needs to be to have the clutch engage/disengage correctly, if the L16 plate is an 1/16th of an inch thick, and the L20b is 1/.8th of an inch thick, that will make a difference with the clutch function, and that L16 plate looked thinner to me than the L20b plate, but the arm position looked good.

Remember that there are only 3 bolts holding the flywheel on, and they are not that tight, that all has to come apart and be done right.

Fact is Steve, I cannot remember where that 225mm flywheel/disc/clutch cover came from, it might have come from that 1980 Datsun 720 that I bought several years ago that received the turbodiesel engine in my driveway, I do know that clutch worked fine.

• Like 1

The plate fit in there fine, and it looks like the bottom plate would mount also, the only thing I wondered about was the thickness of the L16 plate compared to the L20b plate, as you know the clutch throw out bearing collar is a fairly precise part, it needs to be to have the clutch engage/disengage correctly, if the L16 plate is an 1/16th of an inch thick, and the L20b is 1/.8th of an inch thick, that will make a difference with the clutch function, and that L16 plate looked thinner to me than the L20b plate, but the arm position looked good.

Remember that there are only 3 bolts holding the flywheel on, and they are not that tight, that all has to come apart and be done right.

Fact is Steve, I cannot remember where that 225mm flywheel/disc/clutch cover came from, it might have come from that 1980 Datsun 720 that I bought several years ago that received the turbodiesel engine in my driveway, I do know that clutch worked fine.

Yeah, thanks, I understand now about the plate.  I knew you were concerned about the thickness but didn't know at the time if there was anything else about it that you weren't sure of.

I am going to be replacing the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing (kit) so I'll be adding the other bolts and tightening to where they should be when I do that.  One thing I am is pretty thorough usually but thanks for the reminder.  :thumbup:

When I take it back out tomorrow, I'm gonna see if there are any numbers I can cross reference.  If not I'll just make sure the dimensions are correct when I buy the new clutch kit.

Found the right clutch kit and am gonna have the flywheel turned this week.  Just waiting to be able to buy the clutch kit (should be this week).  Gonna also get the oil pan on this week so hopefully I can get the motor and trans back in the truck this weekend ... just an update.  As always, will post pics as I go.  :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Why does EVERYTHING seem to hit the fan everytime I get serious about getting my truck running??  I've had some SERIOIUS family issues including being requested to leave my house (marital separation) in the next couple of weeks.  On top of everything else, my engine support bar that I've used for previous car jobs, fell from the rafters and seriously dented my "good" LF fender.  Not happy right now but I am not selling the truck and I'm going to see this through.  Just an update why I haven't posted anything.  Will post pics of the damage to my fender (you can see how nice it was in my profile pic) as soon as I can.  Should have the motor and trans set in by this weekend.  My excuse, gotta have something to drive when the separation happens.  :-/