Rear axle swap/5 lug options

Mirrorimg

Hey guys,

With the front end of my truck progressing, I need to start thinking about the rear. Im doing 240sx suspension in the front and already have lug conversion hubs for it. This is going to widen the front track (57-58" from some quick searching. Not sure if thats hub to hub or edge of wheel). Since I will have front disks, I would prefer rear disks for ease of changes, but probably wouldnt mind drums. I also found from another thread (http://community.ratsun.net/topic/6656-620-axle-width/) that the rear axle is 56". Im not sure on how exact there numbers are, so I will probably measure it up when I get some room in the garage in 2 weeks. I am planning on going with R32 GTR wheels (16x8, +30 offset) so all the wheels will be the same off set which would mean I would like equal width axles.

This is my build thread if anyone is curious.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/53711-620-kc-overhaul/

With that being said, I think I have a few options for the rear.

1. Keep the existing rear end, weld/redrill the rear hubs, get some 5 lug drums to mount on the hub. If the track is less wide than the front, put on some spacers (not preferred).

2. Swap the rear axle with a 5 lug (drum or disks) from a different vehicle. I know the 88-95? toyota pickups had 5 lug drums, but not sure of the width. Fortunately my father has a 94, so I can measure that.

3. Redrill the current hubs, lengthen the axle tube, get longer axles. yea.... I dont think so, but felt the need to have 3 options.

If someone has another idea, feel free to let me know. I wont be putting the IRS from the 240 I have into the rear. Most methods I have seen cut up the bed and I dont want that.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks flat, I take it you are referring to something like the link below?

http://www.dutchmanaxles.com/products/housings-and-rear-ends/9inch-ford-conventional/housing-and-alloy-axle-pkg-hd-street-and-strip.html

Some kits they have run $2500, so I am steering away from that. $800 seems reasonable for a brand new setup, but the additional information below is quite foreign to me. In addition to that, I currently dont have a brake setup. I dont know if I want to maintain drums if I go that route or upgrade to disks, and if disks, which model (to provide specifics they ask for).

It looks like a good setup, and new is always better than used. Until I do more research and price that out, I am still favoring an all inclusive junkyard unit that I can put right in.

Dutchman moved to Idaho. 720/ hardbody diffs are 57 1/2 wms to wms. Not sure on yota 2wd but the 86 and up 4x4 yotas are 58" wms to wms. Easy 5 lug swap is the yota Diff. Only problem is their a 7.5 Diff not the 8 inch. So ratios are kinda few and far between aftermatketwise , and the only LSD option is early 1st Gen supras.

They will set you up to do anything you want.

Gears, brakes, LSD. You name it.

Just do as much homework as you can.

Thats the last thing I want to do :) I came across some more threads on this and someone mentioned the Chevy rear end from an S10 is a good fit, and has some LSD options. Lucky for me, my local pick n pull has a chevy on the yard AND it is running a special this week. Hopefully the truck will still be there this friday/weekend and I can get the rear from it. I heard the special on the radio, and it was something along the lines of %50 off, so if their pricing chart is right, I will end up spending $115ish for the rear.

Dutchman moved to Idaho. 720/ hardbody diffs are 57 1/2 wms to wms. Not sure on yota 2wd but the 86 and up 4x4 yotas are 58" wms to wms. Easy 5 lug swap is the yota Diff. Only problem is their a 7.5 Diff not the 8 inch. So ratios are kinda few and far between aftermatketwise , and the only LSD option is early 1st Gen supras.

That was one of my thoughts about the toyota rears, aftermarket/oem upgrade options that is. If I do the Chevy rear, I think I have a bigger pool of upgrades. I will let you guys know what happens!

The  right year ford 8.8 is youre best bet. Most are LSD and can be found in you're width requirement .

Measurement

Jeep Dana 35

Ford 7.5-Inch (Ranger) Ford Ranger 8.8-Inch Ford Explorer 8.8-Inch Width Between Wheel Mounting Surfaces 60-1/2 inches 56-1/2 inches (1983-1992) 58-1/2 inches (1993-2009) 56-1/2 inches (1990-1992) 58-1/2 inches (1993-2009) 59-1/2 inches Pinion Offset To Right Of Center 3/4 inches ? 2 inches 2 inches Pinion Length, Tube Center To U-Joint Center 11-1/2 inches 11-5/8 inches 11-5/8 inches 11-5/8 inches Pinion Height, U-Joint Center Below Tube Center 1-7/8 inches ? 1-7/8 inches 1-7/8 inches Bottom Of Diff Housing Below Tube Center 5 inches 5 inches 5-3/4 inches 5-3/4 inches Disc Brake Rotors N/A N/A N/A 11-1/4 x 7/16 inches Brake Drums 9 inches 9 inches ? 10 inches Drum brake shoes 9 x 2-1/2 inches ? ? 7-1/4 x 1-1/4 inches (e-brake) Distance between spring perches (o/c) 40-1/5 inches 38-1/2 inches 38-1/2 inches 38-1/2 inches Tube diameter 2-1/5 inches 2.80 inches (1983-2009) 3-1/4 inches (2010-2011) 2.80 inches (1990-2009)(Non-FX4) 3-1/4 inches (FX4 Models) 3.25 inches (Neck Down To 2-3/4 inches) Axle shaft diameter 1.16 inches 27-spline 1.29 inches 28-spline   1.31 inches 31-spline

Reading comprehension fails me sometimes :lol:

I want to say the 620 rear is 58" I can measure later tonight if I remember. Trying to find the post with measurements on the nwde archive but I can't find the archive? :confused: