620 axle width.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

don't know if any one has run into this problem before , but 2 years ago i was rebuilding the rear axle on my orange show truck because i had gotten a deal on a chromed rear housing, come to find out the housing was from a king kab, my show truck is single cab, there is a 1" differance in width, the axle shafts from the show truck were to long for the king kab housing, just to make u aware when changing axles.. i found out the hard way, they will bolt in to all the springs and such , but the king kab axle overall is 1" shorter.. the trucks are single cab 78, king kab 79..:) just some info..

It's not a KC, single cab difference. It's a drumbrake/disc brake difference. The disc brake trucks have a wider track width front and rear.

My '77 is narrower than Icehouses '78.

If I remember, next time I pull my wheels off my rear axle, I'll get a measurement for a 77 620.

Moparvwfreak's measurement is from a '79 620 KC rear.

both my trucks r disc, so i don't think it is so much a matter of disc brakes, i have measured my 77 rear axle, and it is the same width as the 78 king kab axle, and by the way my 77 is a king kab, with front drum brakes,my other two trucks r 78, and 79,the ones with drum brakes on the front may have some to do with it, but i believe that the king kab has a part also, longer frame narrower axle?, as i said i did not know of a differance until i tried to switch axles..:)

• Like 1
mine is from a king cab. its 56 inches wide.

Interesting, I measured an '85 720 and it's 143mm which is 56.35"

Redeye, the disc brake trucks use a different rim too, so if they are wider than the earlier drum, the rim offset could be different to keep the same overall width.

That's pretty interesting Mike...

This is making me wonder what the front measures out to. I'm pretty sure the control arms are longer on the disc brake trucks but never measured.

Mark, you can strap some 2x4s in between the lugs to get a fairly accurate measurement with a tape measure. Or have that boy of yours hold one on :D

|-o-|

2eDeYe;85342']That's pretty interesting Mike...

This is making me wonder what the front measures out to. I'm pretty sure the control arms are longer on the disc brake trucks but never measured.

|-o-|

When i installed 78/79 lower arm and custom upper arms on my 76 620 the front track width increased by about 2.25". 1.125" per side. With this increase in width it makes the xterra/frontier wheels fit very nicely.

Jason