Old Newbie (intro)

OK, I'm an old guy, who Has gotten tired of looking at $50,000 Camaros and talking to their snobby owners.

I learned how to drive in a 240Z back when it wasn't an old car, my Mom was into Datsuns mostly Zcars,

Dad drove Pontiacs.

So my Kid dragged me up to an Import Show, and it was GREAT!  No whining, Bitching, or Bashing the other guys Cars.

He has a Starlet, and a Rambler, and Digs any cool car.

I have a 56 Oldsmobile, that right now is my Daily Driver (even in snow) but I'm really thinking 620 or 720 for a driver, but a nice driver.

And then started thinking... I have a bunch of really old sheet metal, a 1919 Velie cowl, an old Dodge grille shell and a pile of bent up 40s metal bits.

I don't know a damn thing about king pins, straight axles or how chassis worked 90 years ago.

POW!... it hits me... Mini truck frame. About the right size, easy to work on, a lot safer, not impossible to find,

and I can hide the parts that don't look right.

I run into this kid in a parking lot with a 620 pickup, He doesn't have a parts truck, but he tells me about RATSUN.

So I'm looking for a 620 or 720 rolling chassis thats had the sheet metal picked off, for really cheap.

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes to the above. 25 posts are to eliminate spammers and those to lazy to make the effort to contribute to our forum. You are most welcome, and continue to post on what you have, your plans and lots of pictures. Ask a few questions and those 25 posts will flash by. Someone may have an even better idea.

Im still waiting (and probably will be waiting for a long time) for FNG's to post obsequious comments about how awe-inspiring my Goon build is.

This would allow them to up their post count in no time at all.

Anyway, welcome to Ratsun DL, awesome site, lots of cranky old(er) blokes like me, and some remarkable builds happening (hint hint).

Personally, I love concept builds like youve described.  If youre seriously considering doing this, post some pics of what youve amassed thus far (and up your post count in the process).

• Like 1

This idea sounds like a really fun project. I know of a "ratrod" that was built using a 76 620 frame, looks pretty cool as far as a southern rat goes. Here is a link for reference:

http://macon.craigslist.org/cto/3854219311.html

We would love to see pictures of everything you have gathered. The guys on here are mostly nice and are always helpful. You might also want to take a look at some of the builds on here. There are plenty of customs (521 roadster, custom king cabs, duallys, ect).

Im still waiting (and probably will be waiting for a long time) for FNG's to post obsequious comments about how awe-inspiring my Goon build is.

Oh, and Ratwagon has nice goon build. Its the reason I get up everyday :rofl:

Back in the days of the kit car craze many really good looking vehicles were built on Japanese import truck frames [although I must admit most manufacturers favored Toyota Pickups I guess because their drivers were more prone to crashing them].  The John Steed / Mrs. Emma Peel Bently Blower comes to mind!  You should have no very insurmountable problems building a nice chopped and channeled rod even if you have to resort to some fiberglass pieces.