No brakes! Help!

mhub91

just picked up my '78 B210GX!

driving home was a little scary but i got it here!

my brake pedal has zero resistance and is very light when i push on it, but it returns like a normal brake pedal should. i have very, very little braking power, including the e brake.

what kind of brake system is used on these things? 

all and any info would be appreciated!

thanks!

mark

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the master cylinder, it's likely low. This should have been checked before driving. Also a quick look behind each wheel for wetness. Wet would indicate a leak. Even full, the master would exhaust itself on the way home.

The B-210 is similar to most Datsuns. Tandem hydraulic brakes with separate front disc and rear drum systems with mechanical emergency hand or foot brake on the rears.

hydraulic brake systems work on pascals law of theory which states that there should never be a fluid pressure loss in a sealed system. with that being said, check your brakes lines, calipers, and wheel cylinders for leaks which would indicate a pressure loss. if those check out, the pistons inside the master cylinder most likely failed causing no pressure to be exerted at the wheels causing a spongy/low brake pedal.

and like eagle adam said, if you pump the brake pedal a couple times and it somewhat restores pressure then you have air in the system so a bleed would be in order. try to follow the bleeding sequence in the FSM if that's not available start with the rear passanger bleeder screw, then rear drivers, onto front passanger, then front driver.

This seemed like a stupid question, especially since I am a Toyota Technician.... (mind you I'm only level 2, and I only work on new vehicles.....) But.... This isn't an ordinary brake set up? 

There doesn't appear to be a master cylinder on the driver's side firewall. And the brake booster (or what i believe is the brake booster) seems rather..... large, long and strange looking?

For the love of god.... I feel like a moron. OF COURSE THERE'S A DAMNED M.C. .... I didn't realize it was so long. Working on all these new Prius' is getting to me! 

Any whoo, can someone point me in the right direction for throwing my spare KA24DE in my B210GX? I believe I read someonwhere all i needed was a 200sx cross member to make it mount in the bay?? 

Thanks so much!

Mark

Brakes fixed. Low brake fluid.... i feel as if i'm giving off the wrong impression as an amature here. im just tired from 7 day work week! sleep deprevation is getting to me!

any help on this KA24DE swap to my B210GX .... nearly desperate!

very frustrated... searching forums for a loooong time. cant find a simple "this is what you need" answer..........

anyone?

go get ya some really long ass bolts.... and bolt her in there.   if the bolts are to long cut them off, unless you want the spark show....

Nothing is as cut and dried as you ask for.  all YOU have to do, is SEARCH.