New 720 2-Wheel Drive

mmitchell57

Just picked up a 720 truck. Short Cab, Short Bed, need some love. Found it about 12 miles down the highway from the house. Has the 2.2 z motor with 8 plugs. Two main issues at this moment...

1. When I kill power via the key, it still wants to keep running. Does the chugga chugga and I have to pop in gear to kill it.

2. I want to get rid of the carbon canister... Is it easy and what cost is associated.

8700_10151742795021204_514732323_n.jpg

5555_10151742794571204_1774979964_n.jpg

10543_10151742794336204_750767084_n.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice truck and welcome! I like that styele of wheel

Heres a link to the weber carb site...

http://www.redlineweber.com/

Thats if your looking for a brand new one.

If your looking for a used one there is usually a couple in the classifieds on here.

Tip: Before asking any questions, use the search bar in the top right corner to find a thread for it cause chances are any questions you are asking have already been asked and answered quite a few times.

And youll prolly want the Weber 32/36 unless you plan on building up that z motor. Heres another site, and I think they are outta Auburn,WA.

32/36 with manual choke.

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/product_p/wk657.htm

32/36 with electric

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/product_p/wk663.htm

This is where i bought mine from,

Personally, I went with the 32/36 w/ electric choke. Brand new with the adapter plates and shipping, I paid about 320.00$ and it was at my doorstep in a few days.

Nice ! Reminds me of mine when I first got it. Primer spots all over it. lol

And the key thing might be an ignition issue but I'm not sure.

I went with the Weber 38 because I wanted a bit more pep.

Oh, and are you sure it's a 2.2 (Z22) because you have the body style of an '85 or '86 720 and those only came with 2.4 (Z24)

Get rid of the stock carb and buy a NEW weber kit follow the install directions. 90% of your issues will be solved. 

I bought jesusno2's weber after he did his KA motor install and he's right, The truck runs great.

Why do you want to get rid of the carbon cannister? I still have mine hooked up and it has no effect on the carb or the way the truck runs. I just plugged the cannister on the Weber vent line and it's all good. When I bought the truck with the stock Hitachi carb the po had disconnected the vent to the cannister and it smelled like gas(go figure). I hooked it back up and the smell departed the scene with no adverse effects on how it ran.

BTW, welcome to RATSUN!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice ! Reminds me of mine when I first got it. Primer spots all over it. lol

And the key thing might be an ignition issue but I'm not sure.

I went with the Weber 38 because I wanted a bit more pep.

Oh, and are you sure it's a 2.2 (Z22) because you have the body style of an '85 or '86 720 and those only came with 2.4 (Z24)

That's what I was wondering. The Z22s is a 80-82 thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Where the hell are the oics man?   :D  jk

Really though, get some more pics of that perdy thing up here!

Show it off man!I

I intended too but between work and life I've not gotten around to it. This weekend I spent fixing the ventilation system. Now I've ran into more problems after doing that. Have it in another post.

I bought jesusno2's weber after he did his KA motor install and he's right, The truck runs great.

Why do you want to get rid of the carbon cannister? I still have mine hooked up and it has no effect on the carb or the way the truck runs. I just plugged the cannister on the Weber vent line and it's all good. When I bought the truck with the stock Hitachi carb the po had disconnected the vent to the cannister and it smelled like gas(go figure). I hooked it back up and the smell departed the scene with no adverse effects on how it ran.

BTW, welcome to RATSUN!

Roger that. I just hate the cans, but if they work I'll keep it alive and just clean it so it doesn't look like a peice of junk.

That's all that's left on my 720, the cannister. My wife complained about the the fuel smell when I bought it so I hooked it back up. The PO had it disconnected for some reason. He did alot of odd things to it. It took me awhile to sort it out. The Weber really improved things though.

Slemers

That's all that's left on my 720, the cannister. My wife complained about the the fuel smell when I bought it so I hooked it back up. The PO had it disconnected for some reason. He did alot of odd things to it. It took me awhile to sort it out. The Weber really improved things though.

Slemers

The canister contains activated charcoal. When the truck is turned off, heat will evaporate gas in the carb so there is a hose from the carb to the canister. There is also one to the gas tank. The charcoal absorbs these fumes and prevents their release int the outside air. If nothing else it prevents that gas smell in the truck. When the engine is started there is a vacuum line to the canister that pulls a valve open allowing the carb to suck the stored fumes in and be burned. In no way does the canister interfere with engine operation or performance.

Yep, a weber is on the books. Should be purchased and waiting for delivery within the next month.

Did the brakes today. I got really lucky and found some bolts to press the drums off the rear hubs. It made things super easy. Next on the list is shocks.