High Beam issues solved

The last time I tried my high beams they worked.  Today, they did not.  I read on DQ that the most commom cause is in the headlight relay.  So as the article informs, I opened up the relay, cleaned the points and cleaned the ground strap... No luck.  I did some wire chasing, ground checking and continuity testing, and realzed the entire trun signal switch and steering column was not grounded.  The issue was a screw that was a little loose.  I had to back it all the way out and tighten it back down before I got any contact.  (See which screw it was in the pic).  I think I may also put a ground strap on the column itself.  I just though I'd pass this experience along in case someone else has the same issue.

010-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a second look tonight before I put the column covers back on and I found the the strap holding the signal unit onto the column was also loose.  So I tightened that strap up, removed the screw that I thought was the culprit, and I still had a good ground.

004-4.jpg

Question did your high beam Indicator work when your high beams wasn't?

good question. im going to check mine & see if thats my prob.

used to be the L, now its the R.

i also had a weak HL fuse.

found the issue after swapping the two HL fuses and the issue switched sides. :sneaky:

new fuses = no HL problem.

• Like 1

gonorherpesyphilaids 

had to see WTF google said. lol.....  passing the info on.  :rofl:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gonoherpasyphilaids.

&/or

https://www.google.com/search?q=gonorherpesyphilaids&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS448US448&oq=gonorherpesyphilaids&aqs=chrome.0.57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

your dime has a lot to offer, more then others. 

anyways, I'm having a blinker problem and hope the loose screw / bad ground is all it is.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

420n620, That's funny stuff.

My blinker issues were all in a bad flasher relay, and a bad contact within the bulb socket.  I swapped the hazard flasher over to the blinkers, and that solved most of my issues, so I picked up a new flasher relay.

My indicator light did not work.  But my low beams stayed on in either position. 

thats exactly what mines doing, but then again i think the highs have to be on in order for that light indicator to be one.  needs charged by the high beams?

I still haven't pulled mine apart. to busy dealing with bull shit at work.

I just hear a clicking nose from the relay and the low beams turn off that's it lol

then the relay is operating. open and confirm that the contacts are clean.

double check all the plastic connectors as well. they are usually corroded too.

420n620, That's funny stuff.

My blinker issues were all in a bad flasher relay, and a bad contact within the bulb socket.  I swapped the hazard flasher over to the blinkers, and that solved most of my issues, so I picked up a new flasher relay.

:thumbup:

so are the high / low beams working? If not, check this wire at the fuse block. Mine was broken / burnt off and the terminal was missing where it goes into the fuse block.

IMG_9082.jpg

IMG_9081.jpg

I just by passed it to test my high beams which turned out to be the problem.

IMG_9083.jpg

• Like 1

My indicator light did not work. But my low beams stayed on in either position.

That's Weird my Shuts off I used my buddy's probe tester and the hole light Wiring was ground then we made it Positive then the high beams work and the low beams work and the Indicator worked too so I'm thinking it can be the relay??

:thumbup:

so are the high / low beams working? If not, check this wire at the fuse block. Mine was broken / burnt off and the terminal was missing where it goes into the fuse block.

IMG_9082.jpg

IMG_9081.jpg

I just by passed it to test my high beams which turned out to be the problem.

IMG_9083.jpg

My low beams work but when I Switch it to high beams my low beams shut off... The Wiring is fine nothing is wrong with it

I find some Emory cloth works pretty well for cleaning points, if you don't have a points file.  Also, once you pry open the metal case, you can unscrew the bakelite base from the windings, and this makes getting to the points easier.