High Beam issues solved

So you cleaned the points, and unscrewed the bakelite and cleaned the ground strap?  Still no workie?  By the way, you don't have to put it back together to test it.  Just plug it into the harness and try it. 

You say it smells like burnt speakers... So you like to burn speakers? :)  It "looks new", so I assume you didn't notice any broken or burnt wires....

Well if it's not the relay, there are a few things you can try, but first, how are you with electricals? Do you have a meter?  If no, then I might borrow or pick up a relay, if it's under $10 just to make sure it's not the fault before you dive in.

Without going into detail, until I get my answer about your skills, I'd start by checking to see if you have voltage when you should at the Headlight relay.  If you do, then it probably is a bad relay.  If you don't, then you need to remove the steering column cover and make sure you have ground, and voltage at the terminals on the column when you should.  That's the basic process I followed to find my issues.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't see a spark at the copper grounding plate.  That's probably where the smell is comming from.  I'm not going to make assumptions as to what's wrong without seeing it.

If it were mine, and I had limited electrical skills, I'd look for a used one to try first, whether it's borrowing one, or picking up one off here. 

O'Reilly's carries this one:

Import Direct Ignition - Relay Part # 25-0671
Line: IDI

It runs about $25.

It's says it's the same relay for 59 different Nissan models including the 510.  The issue I see, is the connector is different.  In order to use it, you'd have to change the connector on your wiring harness.

I don't know of I told you this already but the relay chicks when I swich it and the lil copper peace sparks cuz it's broking just a lil peace of it touchs only

I am resisting the urge to suggest Spell Check.

I don't know of  [if] I told you this already but the relay chicks [clicks] when I swich [switch] it and the lil [little] copper peace [piece]sparks cuz [because] it's broking [broken] just a lil peace [little piece] of it touchs [touches] only [forget the hanging "only"].

I am resisting the urge to suggest Spell Check.

I don't know of  [if] I told you this already but the relay chicks [clicks] when I swich [switch] it and the lil [little] copper peace [piece]sparks cuz [because] it's broking [broken] just a lil peace [little piece] of it touchs [touches] only [forget the hanging "only"].

Ha!  I saw the "chicks", but I was able to read everything else just fine.  How sad is that?

If you can solder, I'd say just fix it.  But with limited ability, I think your best bet is to put a WTB ad for an original unit. 

Lol thanks for the Correction bro it's my phone the Keyboard is crazy :)

I know the problem.  My fingers are fatter than the keyboard tiles, so I "touch type" my way, never did learn "Proper" typing protocol. 

Re the soldering suggestion below.  Silver solder may be the way to go, it's a lower melting temperature and strong.  Plumbers are supposed to use non lead solder in modern installations so most plumbing supply [and hardware?] stores stock silver solder.