Oil leak on L20b

spottedog

Z24 block with L20b head (Frankenstein engine)

Not noticeably dripping, but big oil smudge near where the two 6mm bolts on the head bolt to the timing cover, the leak is on the drivers side/front of the timing cover.

I cant see a crack, any ideas?  :confused:

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, I hope it is just the gasket.

I built this LZ24 (?) Frankenstein engine years ago, the top of the timing case  turned out to be about 1/2" to short (1/2" gap between top of timing cover and head) so

I had a shop build up the gap with a tig welder.

Now I wonder if after the welding they milled the top of the timing cover absolutely flat.   :geek: 

I had a shop build up the gap with a tig welder.

Now I wonder if after the welding they milled the top of the timing cover absolutely flat.   :geek:

Hmm, hard to work out without pics,but I think this may be the source of the problem (new gasket possibly won't go astray either)

So you had a guy weld 1/2" to the top of your L20B cover? And then what? Did he machine it for you or did you grind it down with a flap wheel on a 4" Makita? I know it's hind sight, but I would have used the Z24 cover and welded ears onto it to accept the L series head.

But for now...if it lasted a couple years and then just started leaking, it's probably not the cover, it's probably the gasket.

When I modify a gasket for this, I use the best black or grey RTV I can find, like "The Right Stuff" http://www.permatex.com/products/our-brands/the-right-stuff

Take the valve cover off and spray the inside with brake cleaner to de-grease it. Sparingly smear RTV around the inside side of where you think the leak is on the outside. Not saying this is going to be easy but if well de-greased it should stick and the oil  spray kept from seeping out.

So you had a guy weld 1/2" to the top of your L20B cover? And then what? Did he machine it for you or did you grind it down with a flap wheel on a 4" Makita? I know it's hind sight, but I would have used the Z24 cover and welded ears onto it to accept the L series head.

But for now...if it lasted a couple years and then just started leaking, it's probably not the cover, it's probably the gasket.

When I modify a gasket for this, I use the best black or grey RTV I can find, like "The Right Stuff" http://www.permatex.com/products/our-brands/the-right-stuff

The guy that did the welding milled the surface that contacts the head, but left the "cosmetic appearance" part for me to do. :blush:

Take the valve cover off and spray the inside with brake cleaner to de-grease it. Sparingly smear RTV around the inside side of where you think the leak is on the outside. Not saying this is going to be easy but if well de-greased it should stick and the oil  spray kept from seeping out.

Good call! Today I pressure washed the outside of the leak area, and the leak has not shown itself yet, but I am going to use your idea.

I have a feeling the leak WILL come back if I don't.   Thanks!