Power limits of Subaru R160 VLSD???

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The H-165 (somewhat similar ring gear size) is good for just over 200 ft lbs. of torque. It's torque that kills them. For over 300 hp and similar torque you would need 8" or more. (200mm)

Just noticed it's viscous and not clutch. They don't transmit power as well as a clutch one. Like an auto vs. a standard transmission.

Feels like this thread comes up like once a week lol. 

I wouldnt put 400ft though a r160 but people run 500< through r180's on a regular basis. IMHO r200 is overkill, keep in mind your adding about 10lbs every size larger you go with the long noses. VLSD's are more susceptible to tq damage because there is no direct mechanical link so too much tq can burn them up quick. 

Both types transfer the same power viscous just takes a couple spins to lock up where as a clutch is more direct. That makes clutch types more predictable though due to their nature more maintenance is required. 

well ill just run it til it pops i guess. thanks

Thats kind of a shitty attitude. It would suck to ruin a perfectly (hard to find) VLSD just waiting for you to blow it. Might as well just do that to easy to find open R160s, sell the VLSD, and wait for an R180 to pop up. 

• Like 1

Dang I get burned every time I say something on this forum. Oh and thanks for getting back to me about those coils tristin

No one is burning you, calm down. Just posing an alternate option where everyone wins. 

And I said I would contact you when I had more info from my friend. Did you send me something else?- I havent seen anything. 

You are telling me I have a shitty attitude. How is that not burning me?

I sent you like four messages over the course of the last few weeks. I'm not trying to be a pest. I just wanted to know if I should look somewhere else

Fine take it how you will :rolleyes:

And yes, look somewhere else. 

And no one is treating you like a pain in the ass... LSDs can be troublesome to come by. If you know that your power will exceed the limits and cause something to fail, why would you run it? Sell the LSD to someone who can use it successfully and find something that will suit your needs better. If you have to blow something up, then use normal open diffs. You can find those almost anywhere. Grab an open R180 for cheap and run that until you can find an LSD version. 

Everyone wins. 

No need to break wanted parts. Running an open diff for awhile isnt going to hurt anything on your car... limited slip isnt a required feature. Youll be fine until you can find a suitable LSD to match your needs. 

You posted a thread asking about opinions. No need to be snippy when people give you options. 

400RWHP and this R180 stub conversion is all expensive.

You must have a AWESOME 510 and must be RICH$$$$$

Hate to find out you got a stock L16 w/auto  transs in there

I woud say get a Open R180 from a 200sx IRS auto tran and but a Brut Power LSD but Bryron and Jeff Hino(icehouse) go tthe last ones.

R200 can be done but the Gear ratios need to be changed also.