Have a question!

barricade88

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 78 Datsun 620 and need to know how many bolts are in the rear end. I bought the gaskets for it but need to know if it's the 8 bolt pattern or 10. Please help

Are you leaking, otherwise, leave it be unless you are going to another set of gears/different gearing.

I want to put different gears in it. But I don't know how... Or what to look for. I'm replacing the seal for the drive line and the gasket

It's not that hard to change out a rear pumpkin(gearset), do you already have your new gears?

If you come over, we can figure out what gears you have now, and what you might want to go to, it would likely take 10 or 15 minutes to find out what you have now.

PM me, do you still have my number, call me if you do.

Yeah, I'm trying to put better gears that pick up faster and not hauling gears.. And I want to get under it and look but all I have is a jack and I'm doing it by myself.. And if I can I'd love to get better mpg. Instea of 15 mpg..

If all you do is lower(numerically)the ratio,your MPGs will get WORSE.You're at least 10 MPG below what you should be getting.Find the problem and fix it.Hint:VERY few people know Webers well enough to get them right.

You should be getting 22-25 and closer to 30 on trips. 15 could be one, some or all of the following...

Choke ON all the time. Choke heater not working or choke heater relay not working or disconnected. Choke linkage stuck.

Ignition timing retarded. Should be 12 degrees BTDC.

Ignition vacuum advance not working stuck or unplugged

Plugs dirty, bad wires cap and rotor need replacing

Gas leak. Tank or loose clamp on line.

Valve lash incorrect. Tight valves.

Incorrect tire pressure.

Bad front end alignment

Brake(s) dragging the drums.

Crushed exhaust pipe

Engine running cold... thermostat stuck open or missing.

Dirty air filter

Driving habits:

Jack rabbit starts waste gas because the carb runs a richer mixture than accelerating slowly.

Following too close forces you to hit the brakes constantly. Remember every MPH was gained at the cost of fuel you paid for. Every time you hit the brakes you are throwing away the fuel used to get you up to speed. Anticipate stops and slow down gradually... sometimes the light will change and you won't have to stop.

It takes four times as much energy to push through the air at 80 MPH as it does at 40 MPH. Double the speed is 4 times the air resistance.

Long warm ups. Your truck is instantly ready to drive after starting. Thirty seconds of warm up is lots.

Junk in the trunk. Every pound of weight requires gas to accelerate up to speed. Empty it out.

Tire pressure. Firm tires roll with less effort. Under inflated, waste gas and ultimately ruins the tire. Run at the recommended pressure.

Thanks!! I do need to check my tires but the distributor is new and my vacuum advance is working, and I put in a new mechanical fuel pump. I'm going to take off my valve cover and check the valves with a fuler gauge I got. And I'm starting to hear a little knocking and I just changed my oil

Beware of chain stretch or the head was cut and thay didn't advance the cam gear properly.If any of this is true,they looking at markings won't mean squat.If the head has been cut any more than 5 thou,the gear needs to be on the #2 hole at least.

• 2 months later...