block paint

depending on how you look at it, it could be a good or bad thing.....

Point is, my girls goon is getting a new bottom end, so when i get it back from the machinist i want to paint the block, I'm looking for suggestions on what brand of paint to use. Id prefer personal experience references not just an "i think this would work" or "a friends used this"....

Soooooo whatcha used before guys/gals? 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/enginePaint/

Allways used dupli color engine enamel. Available almost every where and not that expensive. The hard part is cleaning the block well, never had an issue or seen an issue with this paint on a cleaned motor. Couple race motors ive seen slapped together had flackig and chipping but they where barley cleaned at all.

I used VHT... I like it...

VHT is a brand owned by Duplicolor. I was told by a Duplicolor employee that the VHT is identical in almost every way, and will soon be phased out by the Duplicolor name products. Don't know how much truth there is to that, but that's what was explained to me. 

I used it on some rims a while back and it was great. 

IDK about clear coating the engine.  I'd do a few layers of paint making it nice and thick. Every time I've seen clear coat on engine parts it starts chipping / peeling after a while and looks like ass. 

I used the high heat clear coat, (the duplicolor stuff) and I haven't had a single issue with it. I'll see if I can get a quick picture of the block that I used it on. 

edit: here's the radiator I used it on with the same process. It's kinda grimy and dirty from our nasty georgia weather, but it's all in one piece

IMAG0604_zps7b8429c4.jpg

Yeah, I checked for purple before I even posted it lol

Lolz, someones been around the garage a bit ;) 

Another vote towards duplicolor. Bare minimum 3 coats though, If not, every little thing will cause it to wear through. Sprays on super easy too.

Sweet! 

Eh.  Monkey, is the block you painted been used or just painted and on an engine stand?  The test of time is what will get it. I think Micromachinery cleared just his valve cover, looks like :poop:  now, 

The block on the stand hasn't been run, but it's also not been cleared, and probably won't be. My current motor (can't get any good pics) has been cleared with 3 coats, and hasn't chipped, faded, etc. It looks great. 

Although, maybe I just got lucky. If everyone else is having issues with it, I'd probably stay far from it. 

Engine paint is formulated with a high ceramic content to withstand contact to chemicals, like oil, carb clean, etc. If you're using rattle can paint, make sure it is engine paint or better. You can get really custom colors from places like http://www.eastwood.com/paints.html

If you're using a spray gun, there are tons of options.

A cheap compressor and paint gun from harbor freight would be more than enough to paint a block, engine bay..  If you got a 20/30 gallon reserve tank and hooked it up to the cheap 20gal harbor freight compressor you could probably paint a whole car.  The guns only require about 20lbs of pressure (check gun to be sure)...  They just don't produce a higher cfm to fill the tank fast enough to replenish it.  So the reserve tank hooked up with solve that.

• Like 1