240sx vs Z IRS setup

Lonestar

Ok, been kicking this around for a little bit and I'm going to start tearing my 210 down and do a sr20det swap. I've seen it done where those who are lucky enough to find the H190 rear end, just do a swap in and go but I'm wanting to do an IRS set up for mine.

I picked up a complete 240sx undercarrage front and rear from John a while back. Has things, other things have to come first before my build so it's sat but I have not forgotten. So while I get my 68 goon up and running first, I'm making plans on where and how to start my 210 build and the first thing will be the drivetrain, suspension, and brakes.

I been chatting with a custom fab shop and I was telling the man about what I have and want to do. He suggested that maybe I should look at doing the IRS out of a Z car insted. The Z was a narrower than the 240sx right?

This is what I need to figure out and why I come here to all you guys here on Ratsun for.  Will the Z IRS be a better way then the 240sx IRS? What would the pros and cons be bewteen these two. Any thing will be really helpful, thanks guys.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I'm doing the same thing, my car is sitting at my friends shop awaiting this same transformation, we will use all 240sx components front and back. I do know that control arms and axle shafts will have to be shortened but we will flare the car as much as possible to reduce the amount shortened.

• 3 weeks later...

O

I been chatting with a custom fab shop and I was telling the man about what I have and want to do. He suggested that maybe I should look at doing the IRS out of a Z car insted. The Z was a narrower than the 240sx right?

This is what I need to figure out and why I come here to all you guys here on Ratsun for.  Will the Z IRS be a better way then the 240sx IRS? 

Width-wise, it's a better fit. Would likely be harder to fab though. The S30 Z used struts in the rear, so you'll need to weld in strut towers to have something to bolt them to. 

Easiest would be a 510 IRS (or better yet a 280ZX?) and the coolest option would be the S13/S14 240SX. To me, the S30 Z falls somewhere in between the two on the coolness scale, while being possibly more difficult to fab than either. 

Side note, I have a 210 you could cut the floor out of to use for mockup? Could save you a lot of time under your car scratching your head... 

Way too far off the wall but have you checked the width of a BMW 1600, 1800, 2000, or 2002?  Superficially they resemble the 240Z and 510 rear ends, I would imagine some massaging of the attach points and shock / struts would be required, but it would be unique!

Width-wise, it's a better fit. Would likely be harder to fab though. The S30 Z used struts in the rear, so you'll need to weld in strut towers to have something to bolt them to. 

Easiest would be a 510 IRS (or better yet a 280ZX?) and the coolest option would be the S13/S14 240SX. To me, the S30 Z falls somewhere in between the two on the coolness scale, while being possibly more difficult to fab than either. 

Side note, I have a 210 you could cut the floor out of to use for mockup? Could save you a lot of time under your car scratching your head... 

Really? That would be cool! If it's all the same, I wanna kinda stay with the 240sx rear and just flare that hell outta of my 210. XD But hey, dats me. :3

And yes that one in the pic is shorten but for a B210 much shorter than what I need or want.

Way too far off the wall but have you checked the width of a BMW 1600, 1800, 2000, or 2002?  Superficially they resemble the 240Z and 510 rear ends

FWIW, the 280ZX rear suspension will produce almost the exact same results without the need for a custom driveshaft or overspending for parts just because they say BMW on them.  ;)

And they really don't resemble the 240Z at all. The 510/610, 280ZX (and BMW) are all semi-trailing arm IRS. The 240Z is a more "proper" Chapman-strut IRS.  :thumbup:

Maddat, would love to have them do my work but the shipping alone would kill me. Have to wait and see just long the stock rear end will be under the 210 with out cutting.