1980 720 4 speed to 5 speed

alaw

Hello everyone, i just bought a nice 1980 datsun 720 with 4x4 powered by a l20b.  It has a 4 speed and i was hoping i would be able to swap it out. I have been using the search feature to find lots of information, but its all for different years or model trucks.  So i was wondering what parts i would need to do a 4 speed to 5 speed transmission swap.

Thanks a lot!!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to run you off or anything ,, because you should be able get the answer here ,,,but ,, have you been to 720 world?.

http://720world.com/forum

Now i aint saying get the answer here then go over there and ask same question .......because...most likely your answer here will be given by a couple of someones, that are also the ones likely to answer it over there.... and they know who they are.. :D . But more info about a specific model is always a good thing...right

I had an 80 4x4 720 L20b with a 5spd.

Well 5th gear essploded on me one day and I got home in 4th gear with no tranny oil.

I swappedd a 4spd into  it no prob. It was from a later  620. Same length and all. Just don't get one that fits behind a NAPSZ engine. Your shifter will be tilted to the passenger side.

Measure the length of your 4 speed trans...  Get one the same length, or find another "Intermediate" drive shaft (goes from trnas to transfercase)

You can find the five speeds in 620s, 280zx, 80 720 4x4s, and 200sx.  The 200sx is tits for getting stuck in mud considering first and reverse is a straight shot.   However its a weak ass trans. I wouldn't wanna go out in the mud and drop the clutch, or even go up a bunny hill of an incline. 

five speeds or transmissions out of trucks that are not 4x4 will have the speedometer cog. you will need to PLUG that off.  So shit don't get in there, and so trans fluid don't come out.  The 4x4 speedo hooks up to the transfer case not the trans. 

Last but not least if you find another trans, make sure you get the clutch fork from it, and the throw out collar. replace the bearing on the throw out collar.

Thanks for the input everyone! I've been searching all of the Internet for a used 5 speed haha. So far all I've found is a 1978 5 speed with no throw out bearing from a 280z and a separate 280z with a blown out engine for parts. What would be my best bet? Thanks for the other website banana, more the merrier haha.

Oh and izzo how would I go about plugging the hole? Could I weld it up?

You can use any longshaft 5 speed out of a 720, you can even use a 5 speed out of a 620 if you have to, but the gearing might not be what you need in the 620 transmission.

Your 4 speed if stock is a longshaft, you can take the front case off the 4 spd, and put it on any longshaft 5 spd. from 1981 threw 1986, if you use the longer short driveshaft between the transmission and transfer case you can also use the 84+ shortshaft 5 spd, just put your 4 spd. case on it.

Here is a link on how to put a shortshaft 5 speed together for a 521, but it is all the same thing, just use the "how to" article to take your 4 speed apart and put it back together with the doner 5 speed gears.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/28473-how-to-put-together-a-shortshaft-5-speed-for-a-l20b/

Your '80 4 speed should be 31.5" long so only a similar length transmission will fit. Some later transmissions were 26" long. So any '77-'79 620, '77-'78 z and '79 -'83 zx, '78-'84 810/Maxima 5 speed will fit. The 4 speed clutch arm is the same as the 5 speed but to be safe use the release bearing collar that is on your 4 speed now (but with a new bearing)

Drain any found transmission and look at the oil. If the oil is gray or silver pass on it. If milky or coffee color.. pass on it. The oil should be clear golden color. Look at the drain bung...it has a magnet on it that collects ferrous metal (steel) and if it has chunks on it... pass. A black fine paste is normal.

As mentioned leave the speedometer pinion in if you get a 2wd 5 speed and seal the end with silicone to prevent leaking.

Put a new rear seal in the end of the transmission. They are only $5 and cheap insurance against leaks.

Thanks everyone! I will definitely put in new seals and things like that. Does anyone know how i would go about checking a transmission that is already off the car? Also, is 200 a good price for a 78 280z tranny? Thanks again everyone!

Not bad price.

The trans is likely empty so it's less messy to remove, but take the bottom drain bung out and inspect it. The bung has a magnet on it and will collect ferrous metal. If clean then the owner wiped it off. If it has chunks, (the owner would have to be a dolt to leave it on) keep on walking, if it has a fine black paste that's normal. 

Sometimes owners are wrong about what was in their cars. The transmission may have been swapped before he was borne. Take a good look at it and compare to these two below...

THIS...

transZ5speedearlywideratio.jpg

OR THIS

transZ5speedlatecloseratio.jpg

Likely the top one but you never know.

That's odd, why would he post up that the tranny is from a 1979 280z? And would this tranny be better than one from previous years? If so I will end up buying it soon! Thanks for all your help mike

That's odd, why would he post up that the tranny is from a 1979 280z? And would this tranny be better than one from previous years? If so I will end up buying it soon! Thanks for all your help mike

Actually he sauid a '78 making it a 280z car

I have a transmission out of a 78 280z 5 speed no throw out bearing for $200

And I have the hood spring for a 240z $25

Call or text me at 7609363421

Sometimes owners are wrong about what was in their cars. The transmission may have been swapped before he was borne. Take a good look at it and compare to these two below...

He simply removed it from a '78 so he thought it was a '78 5spd. 280zx are '79-'83 cars

The '80-'83zx has a lower first gear and so is a 'close' ratio transmission. Best of all is the monster 0.745 or 0.773 overdrive. Great for mileage.