brake light's

mjja

Hello I was wondering if any know what could be wrong with my brakes. I have my 1969 521 datsun of and step on the brakes brake light from the rear glow up but ones I turn it on I do a light tap on the brake the lights don't glow I have to step all the way down hard so they can come one. And yes it has brake fluid thanks I apriciate the help

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

521 taillights are mounted on the bed, and sometimes the ground goes bad between the taillight frame, and the negative terminal of the battery.   You have to make sure the engine is grounded to the frame of the truck, the frame is grounded to the bed of the truck and the bed is grounded to the taillight frame.

Datsun 521 trucks has a brake light switch on a "T" in the engine compartment, or a switch on the brake light pedal.  If you have one on the brake line, there is also a possibility the brake light switch is a little "out of spec", and needs a high pressure to activate.  A new brake light switch may make the brake lights come on better. 

If you do need a new brake light switch, RockAuto has a all brass machined unit that is superior to the current production stamped steel body with brazed on threaded nipple.  The recent stamped steel units have excess braze on the joint to the body and will not screw into the block far enough to properly seal [and NO you do not want to put teflon tape on the thread in an attempt to make it seal].  Down side is very mild, you need to use an open end 1 inch crescent wrench to torque down, the corners of the brass hex head are sharp and true.  The "standard" 1 inch and inch and an eighth brake switch fitting wrench will hang up on the corners.  A standard  one inch socket has enough radius in the corners to also hang up [if they were sharp they would suffer stress cracking].  The all brass unit is made in Japan and works like a charm!  I have one installed on my 411.

Hello I was wondering if any know what could be wrong with my brakes. I have my 1969 521 datsun of and step on the brakes brake light from the rear glow up but ones I turn it on I do a light tap on the brake the lights don't glow I have to step all the way down hard so they can come one. And yes it has brake fluid thanks I apriciate the help

Adjust the switch on the brake peddle. All you really need is to set it so when the pedal is all the way up, the lights go out.

• 2 weeks later...