Another heater problem

Datsun6204x4

Hello I am pretty new to the fourm and new to datsun altogether. I have a 620 converted to 4wd. Just so you guys know its amazing! I love this truck. Well anyways I got my heater all wired in but I'm having a problem with the wires getting red hot. I'm pretty sure it's all wired right. So if anyone can give some input that would be greatly appreciated thanks so much. I can get pics anytime I just don't really know what kind of pics would help.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty new myself,but I can tell ya no picture is a bad picture.!

Most things about Datsun is pretty straight forward. When it comes to the blower motor for the heater it seems odd that the wires would get hot. Even running to large of a fuse should do that. But the fan motor being old or really dirty. I am clearly no expert but I would take the motor out clean it make sure it doesn't have a drag,it should turn pretty easy. And if that all checks out work your way to the wires, if the ground is a little rusty it could cause a little heat,but shouldn't be anything hot.

Like I said " I m no expert " but hope that helps !

should be just one feed wire to power the fan then it goes to a bunch of resisitors to slow the fan motor down,

As priviously stated a high resistance short will cause a power draw.

clean the connection from the fuse box then the connectors in glove box and to the blower.

If blower motor is hard to turn this also will cause a drag and load down the wire(get hot)

Im not a fan expert but soemple on here clean them up and work great.

High speed on the fan is straight through.  Most Datsun fans don't run on the lower speeds anymore anyway as the resistors burned out within the first 100,000 miles.  Unless owners didn't use the lower speeds.

The wires getting hot should have blown the fuse.  The fuse should go LONG before the wires melt.  They'll get warm if the fan runs for more than 5 minutes, but not hot.  So unless you're running a 30A fuse (it should be at most a 15A) or 22gauge wire (should be 14) the wires shouldn't be getting hot.  Either it's connected wrong, or the fan motor is seized or internally shorted.

^^ yeah what that guy said. On my 80 720 that little thing was removable. Looked like a cork screw from one spade connector to the other side. Mine fell off so only high worked.  hooked it back up, good to go.

But like any datsun. Once you start driving the cold air blows in the non existent weather stripping and it does no good. only good for defrosting your windshield

But like any datsun. Once you start driving the cold air blows in the non existent weather stripping and it does no good. only good for defrosting your windshield

I realy don't understand it? I have driven my datsun in -15C it was nice and warm all day. I also have new door seals - used tractor door seals you cab puy by meter. So no air leaking from the door seals.

Good cleaning on the heater motor - I mean the insides, engine brushes and there contact surfaces + some greas for the bearings -and proper/clean connections on the wireing will make that small heater work fantastic. If you already tear it down, then replace the foam seals on the heater box and clean the heater radiator core. I tell you, these things heat the cab up to good and cozy warmth.