New To the 720 crowd..

nismo24096

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as a last resort you can buy the correct length and diameter carriage bolts from the hardware store, then braze them to the bed floor to keep them from spinning while you're tightening the nuts from undernieth.

The reason for brazing is because you can do it with a mapp torch, propane isn't hot enough to braze, but the mapp gas will do it just fine,

• 2 weeks later...

Hey not much new on the truck at the moment, but I did find this roof rack today at the car wash next to my house, not really planning on this one, since it was too narrow and I had to remove some bolts to stretch it enough to fit. but it gives me a good visual to see if I like the look...

IMG_20140111_152907_zpsf4483029.jpg

IMG_20140111_152922_zpsa513fdb4.jpg

IMG_20140111_160117_zps70e44eb2.jpg

IMG_20140111_160131_zpsa3b6bc54.jpg

IMG_20140111_160131_zpsa3b6bc54.jpg

Well I finally found one, a 1982 datsun king cab truck model. I will use this to make a model of my truck. so no Its not going to be a 4x4 when Im done. I was truly amazed at how hard it is to find one of these, all you find out there are the re-released single cab versions.   So anyone else done up a datsun model? if so lets see them.

mG0xr8-_lqS1ECPXqLVn3PQ_zps080f67fe.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hey I picked up a voltage and oil gauge cluster out of a 4x4 truck today, does anyone know if my 82 kingcab already has the wiring for this tucked up in the dash somewhere. or is it something I will have to add in if I want them to function?...I got the gauges and holder to fill the blank hole in the dash..but if I can get them to work that would be a plus.

hey I picked up a voltage and oil gauge cluster out of a 4x4 truck today, does anyone know if my 82 kingcab already has the wiring for this tucked up in the dash somewhere. or is it something I will have to add in if I want them to function?...I got the gauges and holder to fill the blank hole in the dash..but if I can get them to work that would be a plus.

The wiring might be deep back in there on the left side of the heater blower, but you will have to remove the dash to likely find out.

Did you get the console gauge cluster pig tail(mini harness) with the gauges?

Did you get the oil pressure sender off the side of the block under the intake manifold?

Do you already have a console?

I got the console that holds the two gauges and mounts to the existing console that the shifter goes through, and no I did not get the mini pigtail but its still at the yard down the road from me so i can get that in 10 min... the motor was gone so I could not get that.. and do you have a picture of said sending unit.  and thanks for the quick response.

2wd king cab...is what I have...i had to finesse it to fit somewhat..to fit the guages from the 4x4... but its better than the gaping hole  that was there...I would have gotten the whole console but it was blue and so I just took this part and painted it to match my interior.

2wd king cab...i had to finesse it to fit somewhat..but its better than the gaping hole  that was there...I would have gotten the whole console but it was blue and so I just took this part and painted it to match my interior.

The little change tray in front of the shifter hole means longshaft transmission, early 4X4s and all the 2wd kingcabs had longshafts.

• 1 month later...

Hey just wanted to update the tread with my progress. been trying to finish up the engine bay so I can move on to other areas.  anyways here are the pics. 

the bay is dark bronze, the radiator is polished and high heat cleared. the valve cover is white. still need to install the new spark plug wires and hook the battery back up  and mount the coils...but the wire tuck is done.

CAM00193_zps7789bf18.jpg

CAM00191_zps9f3a1658.jpg

CAM00194_zps5946c542.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, just found your thread, searching for info on wire tucks and this is the best I've found. Btw... love how this is coming along... I'm in the same position as you, I just got my first 720 and want to make it my own. I just have some questions, if you don't mind..

Where/how did you route all the wires coming off the alternator..? besides the ground I believe its 5 white wires total.. is there a way to simplify that?

What all did you have to extend?

Where did you end up mounting the coils?

The Wires coming off the alternator are in a wire loom and run into the cab right near the drain hose thats on the fire wall. this way you never really see them since its so low in the engine bay.  I will have to look back at the wiring diagram to see exactly what I extended but I mainly just split the harness into two groups of wires. the ones that ran the lights ,horns, blinkers, and such all got routed outside the fender. make sure you sheild them well and use thick rubber grommets to  exit the cab. and the second group of wires exit out low on the fire wall I used another grommet from a car in a junkyard that was alot smaller than our stock on. i think it was 1.75 inch. and ran the wires through it right into the alternator, transmission wires, etc.   another thing I did was relocate the fuseable link that normally goes off the battery to the bolt on the starter. this puts it out of view also. and didn't effect the operation of the link.  coils are going to be mounted right behind the drivers headlights. using the factory rings.  mounted right to  the wheel well. I will post pics once Im done. 

Wide rims and large backspacing dont work on these trucks when lowered.

I have 8 inch rims with 3.5" backspacing and they stick 2" ouside the fender....you will need some serious flares to stuff them in. To fit you will need HUGE offsets. You can order them with proper spacing and they will fit fine. FWD wheels will work better.

Just got this last week for $500. New exhaust pipe and muffler and it runs great. Only 70,000 original miles on it. Installed a nice audio system, now I am ready to ditch the bench seat for bucket seats. Any suggestions.

DSCN1104_zpsb212938f.jpg

DSCN1105_zps71472b53.jpg